Rate That Movie Part IV: Movies Never Sleep

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: Rate That Movie Part IV: Movies Never Sleep

Post by Buscemi »

Cars 3 7/10

Possibly the last Cars film is a slow starter but gets going once it gets past the "statistics are evil" set-up and goes into the mentor/student relationship between Lightning and Cruz. Wilson and Alonzo have pretty good banter and the highlights are the new characters (mainly in the sequence with the crazy eights race) but it does focus itself a little too much on the racing (yes, I'm one of the few people that liked Cars 2). Also, I was kind of hoping they would write out Mater. Though he's in 10 minutes at most, it's still too much.

The short film before, Lou, is a bit better. Though also a slow starter, it picks up once we see the titular character, a monster that comes from the lost and found box at a elementary school. It's kind of like the Toy Story specials with the physical style of storytelling we've come to expect from the Pixar shorts.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Just saw it yesterday, Boosh. Couldn't have said it better. I agree with everything you said.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

It Comes at Night 9/10

A near-masterpiece of the dystopia genre (yes, it's not really a horror film) that not was too good for a wide audience but was a victim of mismarketing on A24's behalf. A refreshing take on the sci-fi genre that's not good military vs. evil aliens and of dystopia films (you don't see overpowered teenagers take on cliche suits that may or may not be an unintentional allegory), it shows us that the real villain in the world is us. Director Trey Edward Stults enters this world by switching between bleak reality and even bleaker dreams (framed in the much-wider 2.55:1 aspect ratio while the rest is in a standard 2.39:1) that enters a climax that makes you wonder, "Is this real or is it all a dream?". The end result is more terrifying than most low-budget genre films today.

Joel Edgerton proves once again to be one of the most daring actors today but the real star of the film is Kelvin Harrison Jr. as the son, whose visions drive the plot. He carries the film as he plays a teenager who is unsure if he is the only normal person in the house or if he's going insane. The technical aspects are incredible for a low-budget film. The cinematography is well-done, the score fits the action, and the sound mix is really good.

Maybe had A24 promoted this correctly and platformed it before expanding wide, it wouldn't have gotten a D Cinemascore and died on arrival in theatres. This is one of A24's best films and deserves the hype the company's product typically gets.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Went to see Guardians 2 and John Wick 2 in cinema in the past few weeks.

Both were well short of the expectations anyone would expect. (reasonable expectations)!

Next I may see in cinema is Blade Runner or star wars
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

David Lynch: The Art Life
Only for those who can sit and listen to David Lynch talk about painting for 90 minutes. It was right up my alley.

It Comes at Night
I'm not as effusive as Boosch, maybe because I've seen a few films like this (2 of them are Irish) and this doesn't really better them. Despite the supernatural-sounding title, it's really a drama set in a sort of post-apocalyptic world where a family try to survive. Of course, strangers come calling and the initial trust soon falls apart in this rather misanthropic and gloomy film. Performances are great, though, and the direction is intense.

Song to Song
I was hoping Malick on Music would elevate this to Tree of Life levels of quality, but sadly it's the opposite. The music aspect is kinda superfluous, and ultimately Malick seems to be telling people to settle down, get a job, get a family, and be content. So it's an anti-music film.

Okja
Shame it's not in cinemas, as this is a very enjoyable film - it's almost a family film if it weren't for the cussin. In some ways it feels like a live-action Studio ghibli flick, complete with strong female lead and environmental message. That message is very heavy handed, and some of the more hysterical performances (Tilda Swinton and Jake Gyllenhaal) don't work, but it's sweet, upsetting, and has a great balance of humour, satire, and adventure.

Baby Driver
Edgar Wright tones it down in this action musical about a young driver for bank jobs, hoping to break out once he repays his debts. There's not a huge amount of depth here, but the direction is so slick that it puts everyone else in Hollywood to shame. Amazing car chases, actions sequences, and thrills are abound. The pacing is a little off at times, and it could have been more subversive, but it's still a damn good flick.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I'm kind of afraid to see Song to Song after the disaster that was Knight of Cups. Is it better or worse than that one?

And you might want to hop a plane to Los Angeles. Quentin Tarantino somehow got Netflix to strike a 35mm print of Okja for his theatre and he's showing it until Saturday (it will replaced with a Snowpiercer/Lifeforce double bill). And for added fun, it's splitting Tuesday with a double feature of Red Dawn (the original, of course) and Firefox.

Also, I wonder if Paris is still having free showings. They were a week or so before the US release.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Buscemi wrote:I'm kind of afraid to see Song to Song after the disaster that was Knight of Cups. Is it better or worse than that one?
About the same

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Buscemi wrote:Also, I wonder if Paris is still having free showings. They were a week or so before the US release.
It's been very complicated here in Paris for Okja. There was supposed to be 3 free screenings, 2 downtown and 1 in the suburb. There were also a couple of province towns doing screenings. It was supposed to be for a film festival spread across the country.
But the two downtown Paris screenings were cancelled by the two cinemas that were supposed to screen it. There was a lot of pressure from the French Federation of Cinemas, with many of its members calling for a boycott of the cinemas that dared to screen a Netflix film. The suburbian cinema held on, and the film was screened there, but the two Paris theaters let go.

I was fortunate to catch the film at a press screening a couple of weeks ago, and I agree with what Six had to say about it. A great adventure film, even though Bong has lost a lot of what usually makes his cinema so subtle since he left Korea. In fact the best sequences of the film are the ones taking place in Korea.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Spider-Man: Homecoming - 9/10

Probably more than the Tobey Maguire films, and MUCH more than the Andrew Garfield films, Homecoming felt more like a Spider-Man film than any other Spider-Man film thus far. It had just the right combination of action, humor and teenage awkwardness to make it a fun, enjoyable romp.

Of course, back when I was a kid, the early Peter Parker days were much less racially diverse than they are now. NOW, Peter's first crush is African American, his true sweetheart MJ is both African-American and pretty ghetto, Flash Thompson (his main HS adversary) has morphed from a blond-haired football jock to an academic decathlete nerd of Indian descent, and Aunt May? Still hot. (This ain't your daddy's Spider-Man, folks.)

Michael Keaton played a very good villain in The Vulture, and RDJ's cameo appearances as Tony Stark/Iron Man were done with his usual aplomb. (Though Captain America's cameos were even more hysterical, including the post-credits scene. Prepare to get punked, Marvelites.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Baby Driver 2/10

The only good thing that I can is that it's better than Free Fire, another alleged comedy that used a fast-cut trailer and good reviews to sucker me in. This is nothing more than a self-indulgent ad for iPods with more false endings than the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Between the excessive use of licensed music, the horrible Southern accents (they're in Atlanta but the main characters sound like they came from the swamplands), and dull car chases/endless mayhem of flat characters, there's almost nothing that I found enjoyable about this. Am I missing something?

Maybe I should just avoid Edgar Wright films that don't have Simon Pegg or Nick Frost in them from now on.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Buscemi wrote:Baby Driver 2/10

The only good thing that I can is that it's better than Free Fire, another alleged comedy that used a fast-cut trailer and good reviews to sucker me in.
Maybe I should preorder Free Fire.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Shrykespeare wrote:Spider-Man: Homecoming - 9/10

his true sweetheart MJ is both African-American and pretty ghetto
How is she ghetto? She goes to an Arts & Sciences Technical high school and is appointed captain of the debate team.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

the horrible Southern accents (they're in Atlanta but the main characters sound like they came from the swamplands)
Have you been to Georgia? They're some pretty deep and thick accents in Atlanta, and it's not uncommon for people to immigrate from more rural parts to the city.

I do agree though, Baby Driver was a slight dissapointment. It felt like Wright toned down his signature style and comedy to make a wider appealling film. It worked, and the movie is still enjoyable, but it can't hold a candle to the Cornettos or Scott Pilgrim.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

W wrote:

The only good thing that I can is that it's better than Free Fire, another alleged comedy that used a fast-cut trailer and good reviews to sucker me in.
Maybe I should preorder Free Fire.
:lol:
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:
Shrykespeare wrote:Spider-Man: Homecoming - 9/10

his true sweetheart MJ is both African-American and pretty ghetto
How is she ghetto? She goes to an Arts & Sciences Technical high school and is appointed captain of the debate team.
Maybe that is a poor choice of words. I think I'm trying to find a good way to describe her against-the-grain attitude.