Rate That Movie Part IV: Movies Never Sleep

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: Rate That Movie Part IV: Movies Never Sleep

Post by Buscemi »

The Hero 9/10

If there's a better performance this year than Sam Elliott's, either I haven't seen it or it doesn't exist. Brett Haley's follow-up to I'll See You in My Dreams is somewhat of a reverse of that one (this time, we have a relationship between with an older man and a younger woman) but it manages to improve on that one thanks to the performances of Elliott and Laura Prepon. The film is in a way a naturalistic odyssey of a man's last days as he tries to patch things up with his family (Katharine Ross and Krysten Ritter in what basically amounts to extended cameos) while also living his days smoking weed with his dealer (Nick Offerman), doing voiceover work, and beginning his new status as an Internet celebrity. Critics at Sundance didn't seem to like this one too well but it's a much more human and moving film than some of the things that have been raved there in recent memory (it's far better than the last four Grand Jury Prize winners).

It will be disappointing if Elliott doesn't get any awards buzz when the time comes. It might be the best performance of his career.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Paris Can Wait 8/10

Part travelogue, part romantic comedy, Eleanor Coppola's long-awaited follow-up to 1991's Hearts of Darkness is better than most narrative films from filmmakers who cut their teeth in documentaries. Diane Lane is fantastic as an unappreciated wife of a film producer who goes on a road trip from Cannes (this was shot during the 2015 festival) to Paris with one of his assistants (a very good performance from Arnaud Viard) and discovers the fruits of what the country has to offer. If I can say one thing, it's going to make you want some chocolate (luckily, I snuck in a Mars bar I got from the World Market, I love the European recipe).

Much like The Hero, critics haven't really cared too much for this one but once again, I must disagree with them.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

War for the Planet of the Apes 9/10

This might be the most important summer blockbuster of the decade. In a world of turmoil and a genre where the few offerings seem to be military vs. aliens battles that double as anti-immigration/pro-military propaganda and overpowered teenagers save the world, Matt Reeves makes a film that enters into our fears and gives us humanity as well as action. Keeping with the themes of Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Reeves tells the story through imagery and sign language (though some of the apes get dialogue this time, as part of their continued evolution) while creating some terrifying villains through a Nazi-inspired militia headed by Woody Harrelson's character. The film also deserves praise for doing what few big budget films nowadays are willing to say: that we are the real villains and that we fucked ourselves through our ignorance and refusal to learn from our mistakes.

The film also shows just how much Andy Serkis has matured as an actor. He's no longer just playing a special effect (and these are some amazing effects, I can't see this losing the Oscar when the time comes). He is Caesar and it's about time that the awards people see his talents both physically and in carrying a film.

A near-perfect end to perhaps the best prequel trilogy there is.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets 9/10

Once the opening bars of David Bowie's Space Oddity begin, you realize that you're in for a space movie not seen by audiences in a long while. Luc Besson's new film more than makes up for his last one by begin one that simply doesn't care about audience trends or what you can and cannot do in making a mainstream film today (fun fact: this is the most expensive independent film of all-time, as well as being the most expensive French film). This is very much a Luc Besson film and the ultimate successor to The Fifth Element (which unsurprisingly was influenced by the comic book this was based on), as well as being a better Star Wars film than the prequels or Disney's entries.

The film is never boring and thanks to its high energy, beautiful production design, and excellent visual effects, keeps the viewer engaged as it enters worlds we haven't seen before on a big screen. The cast has no major standout (though Dane DeHaan's "if Keanu Reeves played Han Solo" performance as the title character comes close) but together is enjoyably whacked-out and unexpected (from Ethan Hawke as a space pimp to John Goodman as an alien mobster to Rutger Hauer's cameo as Alpha's first leader and even Herbie Hancock has a decent-sized role as Valerian and Laureline's superior).

In the end, it might not be a hit but that's no reason to punish the film or give it a pass. We should be celebrating it for being a $200 million film that's both exciting and was made without the backing of a major studio. I'm hoping international totals save it because this could make for a great franchise.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I Am Not Your Negro: 6/10
One of those docs that should be acclaimed not for its approach but merely for its content. James baldwin was one of the best speakers on civil rights, and was more lyrical and philosophical than MLK or Malcolm X. The doc takes some of his unfinished writings to tell the story of living in that era. The doc's attempts to parallel then with now don't quite work, and getting sam L Jackson to voice the softly spoken, effeminate Baldwin was a bizarre choice.

War for the Planet of the Apes: 7/10
After a slightly disappinting second film, the finale truly delivers in this exceptional and powerful film. Less a war movie and more a Western, it follows Caesar's attempt to get revenge on a colonel who wants to destory the apes (but actually has more sinister plans). It avoids the usual trouble of trying to convey the horrors of war while simultaneously making it fun and exciting (ahem ahem Logan) in brilliant ways, and its is more focused on characters than 90% of blockbusters over the last decade. An excellent piece of cinema that balances dark themes with tension, excitement, and occasional humour.

Pilgrimage: 5/10
Irish movie about a bunch of medieval monks tasked with transporting an ancient relic. A little like LOTR meets In the Name of the rose. Despite the impressive cast (Tom Holland, richard Armitage, John Bernthal), the film tries to be an action chase movie but is full of scenes where they stop and debate the theme, making for a frustrating viewing.

The Drummer and the Keeper: 5/10
Low budget Irish film about a bipolar musician's friendship with an autistic kid. Don't worry, this will never reach any of you.

Bad Day for the Cut: 6/10
Fun revenge thriller from northern Ireland, in which a lonely famer seeks to find out why his harmless old mother was callously murdered. Feels a bit like Blue Ruin, and while not as sharp, it's a pretty fun tale of an ordinary guy getting lost in a world of crime.

To the Bone: 3/10
Awful film about anorexia, that tries to be cool and kinda quirky, as it follows a college dropout (Lily Collins) who is placed in an experimental house run by a hip new doctor (Keanu Reeves). It's at times preachy and never really goes deep, but then takes abizarre turn with a mother feeding her daughter and a dream sequence which seems to solve the main character's problem. I've seen anorexic kids with more meat on them than this film.

The Beguiled: 5/10
I fail to see the point in this film about a bunch of Confederate women living in a mansion during the civil war, whose world gets corrupted when a handsome, injured Yankee appears in need of help. The psychosexual drama is never really pushed very hard, and the conclusion feels weak and pithy.

Dunkirk: 6/10
Am I the only one who was underwhelmed? Sure, it looks absolutely stunning and the use of practical effects really does have an impact. The airplane scenes in particular were superb. Yet, like every Nolan film the characters and script are weak. And while Nolan can hide that behind his high concepts, here there's nothing to use, so instead he tries to play around with a non-linear chronology. But there's no point besides an attempt to keep the tension going. But all films, even action films, need breathers, and the lack of them here turns the film into a single action sequence that's devoid of anything else. So yes, it's a great action sequence, but everything else is lost in the process.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

numbersix wrote:
To the Bone: 3/10
Awful film about anorexia, that tries to be cool and kinda quirky, as it follows a college dropout (Lily Collins) who is placed in an experimental house run by a hip new doctor (Keanu Reeves). It's at times preachy and never really goes deep, but then takes a bizarre turn with a mother feeding her daughter and a dream sequence which seems to solve the main character's problem. I've seen anorexic kids with more meat on them than this film.
I thought it was alright on the whole, but god damn were both of these scenes contrived and cringeworthy.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

What did you expect from the former head writer of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (who also wrote the bland Fright Night remake)?
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

numbersix wrote: Dunkirk: 6/10
Am I the only one who was underwhelmed? Sure, it looks absolutely stunning and the use of practical effects really does have an impact. The airplane scenes in particular were superb. Yet, like every Nolan film the characters and script are weak. And while Nolan can hide that behind his high concepts, here there's nothing to use, so instead he tries to play around with a non-linear chronology. But there's no point besides an attempt to keep the tension going. But all films, even action films, need breathers, and the lack of them here turns the film into a single action sequence that's devoid of anything else. So yes, it's a great action sequence, but everything else is lost in the process.
I was underwhelmed. A lot. It took me a few days to figure out why.

First, there's the four attempts to create character depth: 1) Mark Rylance and his (sons?) on his boat, 2) Tom Hardy in the sky, 3) Kenneth Branagh on the docks and 4) whoever played the young GI running from one disaster to another. The cinematography was great, but that alone wasn't enough for me to connect with any of the characters. At all. It sucked when George died from a stupid, tragic fall, but that felt like a ham-fisted way for us to feel sorrow and Cillian Murphy to ... something. Very few of the characters are even mentioned by name, so that created even more distance.

But the biggest thing for me? We never ONCE see the face of the enemy. The bad guys are shooting at the good guys, but we never see them, not even a vague shape or an outline or a silhouette or the barrel of a gun pointing ominously over a row of sandbags. The closest we come is at the very end when Tom Hardy is taken prisoner, but it's not enough. How can we feel the same desperation that the stranded men did if all we see from the enemy are dropped bombs, torpedoes about to strike, and bullet holes appearing in the hull of a ship?

End result - it all just felt so sterile. That's twice in a row CN has let me down (two and a half if you include TDKR).

6/10
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Not surprised to read these things about Dunkirk. I was wondering if the short (for Nolan) run time would sacrifice storytelling. I figured it would be three hours instead of 106 minutes.

I'll probably see it on IMAX (digital, no 70mm screenings here) on Sunday.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Right on Shryke.

I didn't mention the bit where the kid falls and hits his head and dies. You're right, it's really contrived and very unconvincing in how it was blocked. Silly stuff.

I wish the so-called "obsessive" Nolan would be so about his scripts more than the technical realisation of them. That's why I think Nolan is perfect for Bond, telling the story through action while not having to rely on realism.

I didn't mind that we didn't see any Nazis. The point was to focus on those trying to survive. IF the characters were stronger and the narrative not so pretentious that wouldn't have bothered me.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

So, Nolan, will direct the next bond? In your dreams....

Im a little upset at the reviews here (yes i normally refer the reviews here rather than RottenTomatoes) for Dunkirk. I think i know six well enough to understand his POV but shryke 6/10?! Hmm, must be a fair few flaws in the film.
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Yann Demange is currently the favorite to direct the next Bond. Denis Villeneuve is the second choice.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Atomic Blonde 8/10
Less John Wick and more Bourne with cleaner shot/edited fight scenes. Charlize Theron is a soulless, badass killing machine, the cinematography is vibrant and most importantly, the action sequences are well-done throughout (the 12-minute, 1-take fight at the beginning of the 3rd act is INSANE). I had some minor issues with the script and the pacing in the first 45 minutes is pretty uneven, but it's still a worthwhile ride for anyone that wants to see a heavily-stylized spy movie with great fight scenes.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Atomic Blonde - 9/10

From the opening seconds, which feature the strains of New Order's "Blue Monday", I was hooked. As a child of the 80s and a lover of alternative music from that period, this may just be my favorite movie soundtrack of all time.

Tranny said it best - Charlie Theron is BADASS. Whether she's taking down five guys at once or sweating up the sheets with Sofia Boutella (rrowr), she exudes both hotness and coldness at the same time. The plot is not overly complicated, which is good for a switch-your-brain-off action film with a backdrop of the Wall coming down in 1989 Berlin. John Goodman is his usual great in a supporting role, and James McAvoy is also pretty decent.

For pure action, I would recommend this. It's not on the level of Wonder Woman (obvi), but it's still a lot of fun.

Soundtrack includes: New Order, Depeche Mode, The Clash, Nena, Peter Schilling, David Bowie, Queen, After the Fire, Til Tuesday, and Re-Flex.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Girls Trip 8/10

The A+ Cinemascore is not surprising. This is a comedy that meets the hype and might be the closest that any film has come to emulating the success of Bridesmaids (in fact, it's probably better than that one). The cast is brilliant and despite being over two hours, it's not at all a slow film. It's also very raunchy but it's doesn't feel gratitutous. It also manages to pull off what so many other party-themed movies lately fail to do: treat the characters as real people instead of cliches. You probably know someone who is like one of the heroines here.

I'd write a longer review, but you'd need to see it to really believe it.