Rate That Movie Part IV: Movies Never Sleep

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Re: Rate That Movie Part IV: Movies Never Sleep

Post by Screen203 »

Never mind. I wouldn't be able to be at the theater by the time it starts, so I'm seeing The Favorite instead.

Does anyone here know if Landmark refunds tickets? I'm seeing The Favorite at an AMC but I want to see Roma another day (It's playing past Friday at the Landmark, even though it will already be on Netflix).
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

The Favorite

Superb acting and cinematography in one of the best films of the year so far. Emma Stone, in particular, plays against type amazingly well. Her cunning, calculating character is the highlight of the film. Suprisingly, the film that this reminded me most of was Mike Nichols's underappreciated masterpiece Closer (one of my all-time favorites), because of the vicious dark humor and themes of manipulation and control. Both films explore the control that one person can have over someone else, and the bitter rivalry that can ensue when multiple people want control.

9 out of 10

Image courtesy of -

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Creed II 8/10

Not at the level of the first film (I think the change in director had a lot to do with this) but for being an update of both Rocky II and Rocky IV, it does a good job. The film is never boring and the action keeps on for its duration. There's not much else to say other than it will be interesting to see how Creed III (Adonis fights Clubber Lang's son) turns out.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

The Mule 7/10

Good if somewhat overlong film about an irascible vet who tries to make up for his shortcomings as a husband and father by becoming a drug mule, only to have things spiral out of control. In anyone else's hands but Clint's, this would be far less compelling. He basically carries the movie (the scenes with Cooper and Fishburne are unmemorable at best), and the best scenes are between Clint and Dianne Wiest, who plays his long-suffering ex-wife.

The film did leave one huge unanswered question, which I will not mention here. See it and you'll understand.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Latest batch

Suspiria: 5/10
A rather baffling film that bites off more than it can chew, resulting in a sort of arthouse dance film rather than a horror remake. Nice score though.

Avengers: Infinity War: You really don't wanna know what I think/10

Eighth Grade: 6/10
A sweet and unassuming film about a lonely, awkward teen trying her best to fit in. There's nothing particularly new here, despite the use of social media in the story, but it has a strong lead performance.

The House That Jack Built: 4/10
Lars Von Trier is getting even worse, if that's imaginable. Like his last few movie's, he's happy to spend over 2 hours posing a lot of random questions about a serial killer and not bother answer anything, assuming that's engaging enough. It's not.

Shoplifters: 7/10
A sort of Best of Hirokazu Kore-eda, taking in themes and tropes from his previous movies. It's got the impovrished children of Nobody Knows, the class observation of Like Father Like Son, the sweet family bonds of Our Little Sister, and even the justice systems critique of The Third Murderer. But this is probably his strongest film, addressing the issue of nature v nurture in a moving, complex, humane story of a makeshif family making ends meet as they take on strays.

Roma: 6/10
The "Film of the Year" is inevitably over-rated. It is a very nice film following a servent in 1970s Mexico. But despite Cuaron's insistence, this is less about her as a person, and more about Cuaron recreating his past in all its fondness (with a dash of social awareness). In that sense it's an egotistical experience that just about manages to avoid being reprehensible through some lovely moments.
Last edited by numbersix on December 15th, 2018, 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

They recently did a screening of The House That Jack Built here (I saw The Shawshank Redemption instead and I read the reviews for Jack) and apparently, most of the attendees loved the film. Of course, a lot of these same people (whom I've been acquainted with from the local Film Club) love these kinds of films in general.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

Vox Lux may be the worst film I've ever seen in a theater - walked out after an hour.

Image courtesy of -

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

You must have not seen many movies in the theatre then.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

Buscemi2 wrote:You must have not seen many movies in the theatre then.
Part of it is that the marketing sold a completely different movie.

Image courtesy of -

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I think I’m making a special trip tomorrow to They Shall Not Grow Old. Anyone else? It’s only playing tomorrow and the 27th. It looks ridiculous for a history lover like me.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I'm planning to see it on the 27th. I know what I said about Fathom but if it's the only way to see Peter Jackson's new film (which has been getting excellent reviews), then so be it.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I saw just one trailer for it and I’m hooked. It looks amazing technically, aesthetically, and with regard to subject matter. It’s the first movie I’ve had to pay full price for since joining A-List (because they don’t cover Fantom) and I have to drive an hour there and back (on a weekday, which I never do) because it isn’t shown locally. I’m kinda wondering why a WWI doc needs to be in 3D, but I’m sure it’ll be worth it.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

More style over substance, but still enjoyable. The animation has a very unique style, but it can be overbearing. The actual story is developed well, with all of the emotional beats hitting. On the other hand, the comedic elements mostly fall flat and are often irritating. I would reccomend it, if only for the animation alone.

7 out of 10

Image courtesy of -

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Spidey looks great, is one of the few you should see in 3D, and is action packed. It isn’t as charming or funny as you’d hope and there isn’t much dramatically, though it tries, but it is fun.

The Mule is decent. Like Gran Torino, a bit of “old man set in his own ways that doesn’t know better” racism, which fits the aw shucks old man character. The cinematography is good as it normally is in Eastwood films, but the dialogue and acting leaves a lot to be desired. It hits you over the head with its message of regret and not overlooking what’s important multiple times, so you won’t miss that. It’s a definite step up from 15:17, possibly because they use people that have actually acted before.

I know Clint has been one of the most popular actors in cinema history because of his charisma, but I’m not sure if he’s actually ever been a great actor. In most things I’ve seen he’s been mostly a guy mumbling through clinched teeth (Man with no name, Dirty Harry). Was he actually his best as a 70 year old in Million Dollar Baby and Gran Torino or do I have a gap in my viewing history?

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

W wrote:I think I’m making a special trip tomorrow to They Shall Not Grow Old. Anyone else? It’s only playing tomorrow and the 27th. It looks ridiculous for a history lover like me.
Just... prepare yourself. I saw it on TV (it was broadcast here on BBC a few weeks back) and you underestimate how intense and gruesome it is. I'm not sure I could stomach some of those images on the big screen...