Rate That Movie Part IV: Movies Never Sleep

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Re: Rate That Movie Part IV: Movies Never Sleep

Post by Chienfantome »

Mobile phones are the kryptonite of cinemas. Taking pictures of filming is horrible enough, but those are rare here. But people texting, or just reading their texts is becoming way too casual, each time I witness this I just wish I had a rock to throw at their phones hoping to break their screens.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Chienfantome wrote:I just wish I had a rock to throw at their phones hoping to break their screens.

If I had a rock, I wouldn't be aiming at their screens... :twisted:
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

What kind of lunatic takes still photos of the screen in a movie theater? I've legitimately never seen or even heard of someone doing that before. As for phone use, I guess I'm pretty fortunate. I seldom see anybody texting or dicking around on apps once the movie actually starts.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

When I was at Batman v Superman someone recorded the whole film. I don’t mind a quick glance if the brightness is all the way down. Problem is it’s always on auto brightness, so in the dark it is all the way up.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

Mary Poppins Returns

Interesting sequel that goes into some very strange places at times (especially anything involving Meryl Streep's character, in a typically great performance). The choreography and special effects are amazing, although very few songs have any memrobility. Emily Blunt does well in the role, though she dosen't surpass Julie Andrews in the original (although I don't think that anyone else could).

6 out of 10
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

They Shall Not Grow Old 10/10

Extremely fascinating documentary about the English experience in World War I. Though the highlight was sold as being the colorized footage on the front lines, personally, I found the testimonials of the soldiers and everything they had to go through even more interesting. Some of the best documentaries educate as well as serve as great filmmaking and I believe that this teaches a lot about a war not many really know about. For me, this might rival Dead/Alive and the first Lord of the Rings as Peter Jackson's best film.

I didn't get to watch all of the making-of though as I would have been late for the movie I went to see after (I left when Jackson was talking about the War Experiences magazine, hopefully this material is made available on the inevitable home video release).

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 8/10

On one hand, it's the best Spider-Man movie and it handles Peter Parker's origin story the best (the screenplay obviously shows a lot of contempt for Sony continuously redoing the same story again and again). On the other hand, it's kind of overrated. A lot of it has to do with Miles perhaps being one of the weaker characters combined with some of the plot being lifted from Batman v. Superman. Also, I expected a much wackier movie than it really was. But maybe I just wanted more Spider-Man Noir (voiced by Nicolas Cage!) and Spider-Ham together.

It will be interesting to see how Sony will handle the animated counterpart of the Spider-Man franchise. I've read rumors of a Marvel Tails movie with Spider-Ham (please be true) and I wouldn't mind seeing the Aunt May project (planned some years back with Sally Field's portrayal) be retooled with Lily Tomlin. Spider-Verse May reminded me a lot of Lego Alfred (whom I'm convinced is the best Alfred).

In short, not the masterpiece it's been made out to be but a step in the right direction for the web slinger.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I don’t know how much you missed on the end doc, but I wouldn’t have wanted to miss a minute. I think the end of it was them singing, so though fun not as bad to miss.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

Buscemi2 wrote:
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 8/10

On one hand, it's the best Spider-Man movie and it handles Peter Parker's origin story the best (the screenplay obviously shows a lot of contempt for Sony continuously redoing the same story again and again). On the other hand, it's kind of overrated. A lot of it has to do with Miles perhaps being one of the weaker characters combined with some of the plot being lifted from Batman v. Superman. Also, I expected a much wackier movie than it really was. But maybe I just wanted more Spider-Man Noir (voiced by Nicolas Cage!) and Spider-Ham together.

It will be interesting to see how Sony will handle the animated counterpart of the Spider-Man franchise. I've read rumors of a Marvel Tails movie with Spider-Ham (please be true) and I wouldn't mind seeing the Aunt May project (planned some years back with Sally Field's portrayal) be retooled with Lily Tomlin. Spider-Verse May reminded me a lot of Lego Alfred (whom I'm convinced is the best Alfred).

In short, not the masterpiece it's been made out to be but a step in the right direction for the web slinger.
Spider-Ham was easily the worst part of the movie.

Did you see it in 3D? I didn't, but it seems like something that would actually benefit from the format.
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

It wasn't playing in 3-D where I went. They Shall Not Grow Old was also shown flat (a 3-D screening was added at the last minute).

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I saw both Spidey and They Shall Not Grow Old in 3D. Both benefited from it. I thought “Why?” for TSNGO, but it gives textures you don’t expect from a documentary. Spidey just pops with that art style and the fight scenes are as good as live action with it.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I haven't posted here about the films I watch in ages, and I will probably write a little something soon to make it up, but I've seen Aquaman (don't ask... I didn't choose...), and I need to say this is probably the worst "superhero" film I've seen those last few years. Yep, even worse than that one. And that one too. Not only is Aquaman one of the ugliest films I've seen, visually, but it's also so badly told, edited, acted and written that it is almost comical. A total, and ugly mess.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

Chien, tell us how you really feel about it.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I seriously cannot understand how Aquaman can get any good review. It is hands down the worst piece of cinema (if you can call that) in the whole 2018. And I don't even need to check what I saw this year to be sure about it.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Chien, did you see Ready Player One? One cannot say Aquaman is at that level of insufferability.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Ready Player One is one of the best films I've seen in 2018. Not only is it exciting, but it's extremely well told, and each shot, each sequence is carefully thought. And it's a film that tells a lot about our time and our relation to the virtual.
Aquaman has nothing to say, is full of plot holes, is ugly, has absolutely no sense of rhythm, doesn't know how music and images can interact. It feels like a 6 year-old is behind the camera.
Fluctuat nec mergitur