Rate That Movie Part IV: Movies Never Sleep

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

StarLord123
Nick Naylor

Re: Rate That Movie Part IV: Movies Never Sleep

Post by StarLord123 »

Leo 7/10
Indeed, Adam Sandler delivered a better animated film than Disney's big 100th anniversary film. Some of the usual cliches are present still, the songs are generally just "fine", and the animation is somewhat average looking, but this stands out more compared to Wish since Sandler and Bill Burr have a surprisingly good dynamic, there's more originality on display, the humor generally works, and it has a better executed and more heartfelt message.

The Killer 5/10
That was a bit of a dull bore. I don't even really get what the point of this was or what David Fincher was trying to convey. The Killer just goes from location to location taking people out, with almost no actual plot to tie it together. Michael Fassbender does give a decent performance, but his narration throughout almost the entire film gets quite tedious after a while. It also lacks a sense of urgency or tension for most of the film. There is a very good fight scene in the middle, and the cinematography is nice as expected, but between this and Napoleon this is yet another underwhelming film from a prolific director. It's well made, but there isn't much beneath the surface.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Good Burger 2 2/210

Completely unnecessary sequel to the 1997 film that has none of the fun of the original, mostly rehashing moments from the original when it's not trying to be a lesson on late stage capitalism for a target audience that isn't going to understand the themes. The cast is wasted and the production values are on the level of an All That episode. Though basing the villain plot around Kurt from the original's family, it's badly done and Jillian Bell is dreadful in her performance. There's also no character development as Dexter and Ed never really change.

In the end, another failed attempt at milking nostalgia from a property that gave people good memories many years ago. Send this burger back.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The Boy and the Heron 7/10

Entertaining, if overhyped, return from Hayao Miyazaki, focusing on a boy in a new town during World War II who finds himself on an adventure with a pestering heron that leads to him searching for missing members of his family. While the animation is stunning and Miyazaki, even while away from the screen for a decade, shows he still has it in terms of creating a good two hours at the movies, a lot of it feels like we've seen it all before. While lesser Miyazaki is still good Miyazaki, you would have expected something more ambitious from a legendary filmmaker.

But it is nice to see a widely-released animated film that isn't designed solely to sell products or consist solely of toilet humor and that Studio Ghibli will never pander to the lowest common denominator.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Maestro 2/10

Bradley Cooper directs Bradley Cooper in a movie that tells us how great Bradley Cooper is and deserves an Oscar. This self-serving, whitewashed ego trip for Cooper has him playing Leonard Bernstein with a prosthetic nose and a voice that makes him sound like Bob Belcher that just looks like Bradley Cooper wearing a fake nose and using a fake accent. You cannot take him seriously in this role and his direction isn't much better, mistaking long, wide, static shots and multiple aspect ratios for technique. And if it's hard enough buying the Irish/Italian-American Cooper as the Jewish Bernstein, they cast the very English Carey Mulligan as his Costa Rican wife. The miscastings are aplenty here. And one should probably know what to expect from the screenplay when it's found every boomer's favorite historical screenwriter, Josh Singer, co-wrote the script.

It's not a surprise that awards guilds have called it one of the best as it's your stereotypical show business biopic that pulls no punches and feels totally hollow. But it's a step worse than last year's similar egomaniacal show business movie The Fabelmans (ironic that Spielberg had a hand in both this and The Fabelmans) in that it's ultimately designed to be nothing more than to inflate the star/co-writer/producer/director's self-worth. Just watch a documentary on Bernstein.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial 4/10

William Friedkin's final film is rather forgettable, a modernized version of the famed play about a court martial of a paranoid naval leader and the crew that staged a mutiny on him, now transported to peace time from the original's World War II setting. But while the technical aspects is solid, as with most of Friedkin's films, the end result is largely unnecessary, given how we got a much better adaptation with the 1953 version of the story, which opened up the action to show the events that led to the court martial. Here, the action is closer to the play and takes place almost entirely in the courtroom, which creates for a lot of telling when showing would be more beneficial. While another recent film, Saint Omer, did this well, here, it makes you wish you were watching the Humphrey Bogart version. In addition, Kiefer Sutherland does not make for a good Bogart substitute, seemingly spending more time copying Bogart than doing his own spin of the role. Meanwhile, most of the other actors are rather flat, though we do get a good final performance from Lance Reddick.

In the end, this update might have appeal to the crowd that subscribes to Paramount+ for the Yellowstone universe or people who love war stories but there's not much interest otherwise.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Buscemi2 wrote:
December 8th, 2023, 11:10 am
Good Burger 2 2/210

Completely unnecessary sequel to the 1997 film that has none of the fun of the original, mostly rehashing moments from the original when it's not trying to be a lesson on late stage capitalism for a target audience that isn't going to understand the themes. The cast is wasted and the production values are on the level of an All That episode. Though basing the villain plot around Kurt from the original's family, it's badly done and Jillian Bell is dreadful in her performance. There's also no character development as Dexter and Ed never really change.

In the end, another failed attempt at milking nostalgia from a property that gave people good memories many years ago. Send this burger back.
I struggled to finish this, and then I still haven't been able to, now that I think about it...

Maybe the worst movie of the year
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I can't see any movie this year being worse than Skinamarink. At least Good Burger 2 was an actual movie with actors, a plot, and a three-act structure.

StarLord123
Nick Naylor

Post by StarLord123 »

Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken 5/10
DreamWorks' animated film that was basically dumped with little fanfare this past summer and is basically forgotten now. It's easy to see why, as it is pretty forgettable. It feels like they dusted off an unfinished script and decided to roll with it anyway because something needed to get made. There are some interesting ideas, but they feel half-baked since the runtime is too short to juggle everything. The obvious twist villain reveal doesn't even happen until right before the climax so it feels very rushed. There's some nice animation as expected, but much of the character designs are rather bizarre looking. This is pretty much just an inferior fusion of Pixar's Luca and Turning Red with lesser writing and animation. (The narration at the beginning reminded me of the first episode of Ms. Marvel, so that was cool.)

Gran Turismo 7/10
This is a solid, well-made, and entertaining movie although it's a very familiar underdog story at its core. Good performances, solid and tense racing sequences, and some emotional beats that are handled nicely. Maybe a bit too long though. Nothing that's overly spectacular, but a nice feel-good movie. Also above average as far as video game based films go.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The Iron Claw 5/10

Uneven dramatization of the curse of the Von Erichs, a wrestling family who dominated the Dallas circuit in the 80's, only to be marred by tragedy. While the few wrestling scenes are well-done and the performance of Holt McCallany as the ruthless patriarch is solid, fully playing up that 80's movie villain quality, the film ultimately suffers in trying and failing to be a big Oscar movie. Sean Durkin's script basically feels like a weird jumble of awards bait cliches and wrestling promo-level writing (yes, even when the film is trying to be serious) while Zac Efron is totally miscast as the eldest Von Erich. It's hard to buy the guy from High School Musical as a roided-out wrestler who's supposed to be 6'3" but is played by a 5'8" actor barefoot. In addition, I'm not sure if Durkin needed to revisit the 80's after having the superior The Nest three years earlier. It also feels too safe of a film, as it seems to cut away or avoid going into detail of the brutality of their profession in favor of focusing on the next event.

The story is extremely fascinating and a good, deep rabbit hole if you're into sports curses. But ultimately, this story would have worked better as a documentary instead of the average movie seen here.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The Delinquents 4/10

It might have been decent if it wasn't so damn long. The first third isn't too bad, focusing on a bank employee stealing from his bank and then turning himself in after a change of habit. But then, it becomes this weird love triangle movie where one of the corners is in jail and one of the other corners is married, managing to become almost completely unrelated to the heist. It's funny how there are three credited editors as the film is incredibly slow and has moments that could have been easily cut. It also has very little to say despite running three hours and ten minutes. It wants to be Rififi meets Jeanne Dielman but it's largely just a dull "two men love the same woman" plot we've seen numerous times before, only they waste a good set-up and first hour to tell us the real story.

This is ultimately a bait-and-switch that thinks it's more clever than it really is.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

Ferrari

I thought this, although not perfect, was better than the middling initial reception would imply. As many others have noted, the standout (besides the predictably top-of-the-line sound design/mixing - I would say second only to Oppenheimer this year) is Penolope Cruz. Though she definitely plays more of a supporting role than the trailers would imply, she gives (IMO) one of the best supporting performances I've seen this year; though it seems unlikely, I hope she gets an Oscar nomination for this role. The rest of the cast is relatively strong, though none of them compare to Cruz. This highlights my biggest issue with the film; it was difficult to care about the inside-baseball of the automobile industry in-between the family drama and racing scenes. At least to an extent, it felt repetitive and I feel like a lot of it could have been taken out without much of a gap in the story. That being said, I would still recommend this if you are a fan of Mann, or enjoy sports-themed biopics.

7 out of 10
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

StarLord123
Nick Naylor

Post by StarLord123 »

Rebel Moon - Part One: A Child of Fire 3/10
What the fuck is this shit?? This film in its current form is less of a film and more of a glorified tech demo showcasing mindless action scenes and decent visuals. It's immediately obvious that this was originally a rejected Star Wars script, it's several elements from SW and other sci-fi or fantasy films hastily thrown together. It's brutally slow with bad pacing and clunky dialogue, nearly 2 hours of just "go to this random place and recruit this random person" culminating with a plot twist that's super contrived and doesn't work. There's almost no actual character arcs except for Sofia Boutella's character who has something resembling an arc via random flashbacks. I got basically no sense of who these people were or why I should care about them, or why they'd want to join this rebellion beyond "evil empire is evil". The cast is solid, but none of their performances are particularly good since the material they've been handed is as DULL and banal as possible, it's mostly pretty damn boring with not much sense of fun or excitement. There's some nice visuals and worldbuilding I guess, but basically all of it is very familiar, there's almost no originality on display. Some of the action scenes are decent but much of it is also marred by ungodly amounts of slow motion. It's just BAD unfortunately, the future director's cut will need a complete restructuring in order to salvage this.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Someone needs to stop giving Zack Snyder final cut on movies. From reading about Rebel Moon, I get the feeling the entire saga could be told in under two hours instead of the four to six he thinks it needs to be told in because Snydercut and the "Disney is dying" crowd think Snyder is the greatest filmmaker not named Christopher Nolan and believe he's a true visionary who deserves carte blanche.
Last edited by Buscemi2 on December 23rd, 2023, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Snyder didn't truly have final cut on the version of Rebel Moon that's out currently. Netflix wanted a 2-hour version because they believe 2-hour movies perform the best on their platform, which was idiotic for Snyder to agree to since he clearly envisioned it as a 3+ hour, R-rated project (some of the sudden cutaways in the action scenes really screw up the rhythm of the sequence) and even dumber for Netflix to ask for since they put out a blatantly incomplete movie and needlessly tanked something they wanted to be a franchise from the jump by all but ensuring that next-to-no one will want to come back and watch the second installment in April.

Not every issue with Rebel Moon can be attributed to the truncated runtime (stop me if you've heard this about a Snyder movie before, but the story is messy and beholden to a lot of other popular IP and there's not a whole lot of charisma on display from the cast), but I don't think anybody that's seen it and has even the tiniest shred of respect or admiration for Snyder's work would argue that the director's cut is going to be a significant improvement and that Netflix would've been much better off if they'd released it right away
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

StarLord123
Nick Naylor

Post by StarLord123 »

It is frankly unbelievable that this version of the film was allowed to release, I am still somewhat curious about the director's cut however. Athough I'm not sure if added blood, improved pacing, and actual character development would save it for me, it certainly wouldn't hurt. If part 2 has the same release rollout, then I will skip the initial hacked up version and wait for the director's cut. I think Snyder is a good visual director but he needs to work with better writers much of the time.