Rate That Movie Part IV: Movies Never Sleep

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: Rate That Movie Part IV: Movies Never Sleep

Post by Buscemi2 »

1917 7/10

Kind of overrated but it's sure better than Dunkirk. Sam Mendes' version of Saving Private Ryan goes for a simulated one-take gimmick that doesn't entirely well as much of the first half is rather slow. The second half is much superior, when we get to know more about the character and we get to see the battle but otherwise, one must wonder why the Golden Globes people thought this was better than The Irishman.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The Gentlemen 3/10

I went to an advance screening of this tonight and let's just say that it wasn't worth the sneak peek (let's hope the advance screenings of Bad Boys for Life and Weathering with You turn out better). Guy Ritchie's semi-annual return to the mean streets of London is alternately pretentious and tiresome, as he attempts to make a Knives Out-style mystery (except replace books with movies) with his usual formulas. The end result is a glorified day-and-date movie with a slumming McConaughey (who's turned into the less creepy James Franco), an hammy Hugh Grant, Colin Farrell just being there, and Charlie Hunnam giving the only memorable performance. The premise is overcomplicated and the script is more interested in violence and excessive uses of the c-word (the screening I attended had Spanish subtitles, which I found out translates to the same word as imbecile). There is a subplot involving Hunnam having to rescue the heroin addict daughter of a media tycoon from a group of chavs that works but that's just about all that works in its ultimately pointless exercise in excess.

There was a Livestream Q&A after the movie but it was basically Tim League fellating Ritchie. What was the point, really?

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

Buscemi2 wrote:The Gentlemen 3/10
The theaters around me insist on including trailers for this before every movie - despite it's TV-Spot length, it feels much longer...

On another note,

This was actually effective. The script is somewhat weak, but considering that this movie is mostly without dialogue, it dosen't matter as much as it would as an ensemble picture. The acting is very strong, with Dean Charles-Chapman (who arguably has the showier role) and George McKay both indicating successful careers ahead of them. The cinematography is astounding (as you would expect from Deakins), and the soundtrack/sound design is great as well. The "one-shot" technique - never giving the audience a breather except for the scene where William is shot - left me exhausted by the end, which isn't a bad thing. This is the most moving war film to come around in a while, (definitely better than Dunkirk was - this has actual characters) and I would reccomend seeing it on a large screen.

8 out of 10
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

VHYes 2/10

More proof that nepotism can get you anywhere. This vanity project from the son of Tim Robbins and Susan Sarandon is a series of random humor inspired by Everything is Terrible! that fails because it's intended to be funny. The EiT! compilations worked because those were from videos playing it straight. Here, it doesn't work because we're supposed to laugh. Also, more of the material (shot on VHS and Betacam) either looks too new or is anachronistic to fully emulate 1987. And in an attempt to appeal to the Adult Swim crowd, the film makes a left turn in the last third of the mercifully short 72 minute run time to rip off Paranormal Activity 3. Too Many Cooks this film is not.

Apparently, you had to have been around in 1987 to fully understand the film. But I think that's an elitist thought. The film is just plotless performance art that should have been chopped up into YouTube sketches, where it would have immediately faded into obscurity.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Bad Boys for Life 8/10

Six and a half hours of caffeine, popcorn, and chocolate cookie-fueled action was capped by perhaps both the funniest and darkest entry into the Bad Boys franchise. The seventeen-year wait between the second and third entries was worth it as the franchise's new directors go with an everything but the kitchen sink approach that succeeds wildly. You have a film about retirement, a film about old school vs. new school techniques, a revenge film, and even a turn towards the supernatural. It is insane fun and a cut above most of today's action films. Also, I was surprised by Martin Lawrence's performance in this and wouldn't be surprised to see a career resurgence from him soon.

As for the franchise, I'd rank this one ahead of the first but below the second. I can never hate Bad Boys II the way some people do.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Weathering with You 8/10

Makoto Shinkai's follow-up to Your Name. is a more mature film focusing on a teenage runaway who comes to Tokyo during a rainstorm and after getting a job as an assistant for a magazine, finds that the girl who helped him while he was homeless is the basis to a story involving bringing sunshine to the rainy city. Once again mixing science fiction, fantasy, and romance, Shinkai shows an knack for creating unusual stories from the most mundane of settings. And much like Your Name, the animation is very high-quality. However, I didn't get the wow factor that I had from seeing Your Name. Maybe it's because some of the elements were similar or that it wasn't as ambitious but there seemed to be something that kept a good movie from being a great movie.

I can't find any other complaints but Shinkai may need to expand his palette to avoid getting stuck in a rut for his next one. But otherwise, a worthy effort from the director.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Just Mercy 5/10

Erik Killmonger fighting for Electro's innocence is basically a glorified TV movie. The concept is there and there are opportunities to explore just how racist and corrupt the Deep South really is. However, it's done in such a passive and toned-down way that it ends up just feeling like a studio-friendly version of something that needs to be a raw, warts and all expose on the criminal justice system. A film like this needs to be angry at those who allow these things to happen. Instead, it's treated as a mere inconvenience. I spent a lot of the run time wondering what Spike Lee could have done with this story. It would have been more interesting than what we got here.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

Buscemi2 wrote:Just Mercy 5/10

Erik Killmonger fighting for Electro's innocence is basically a glorified TV movie. The concept is there and there are opportunities to explore just how racist and corrupt the Deep South really is. However, it's done in such a passive and toned-down way that it ends up just feeling like a studio-friendly version of something that needs to be a raw, warts and all expose on the criminal justice system. A film like this needs to be angry at those who allow these things to happen. Instead, it's treated as a mere inconvenience. I spent a lot of the run time wondering what Spike Lee could have done with this story. It would have been more interesting than what we got here.
Also saw Just Mercy yesterday. I agree it seemed very toned down, especially since one of the racist police officers (the one with the glasses) the movie seems to give a free pass because he was the one who changed the tide in favor of Stevenson and Johnny D.. Also, I feel like Rob Morgan should have been in the conversation (if not nominated) for Best Supporting Actor. The scene where his character is executed is easily the most effective scene in the movie.
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Recent viewings

Bait: 6/10
Impressive no-budget British film which somehow managed to stay in cinemas for 5 months and earn over 600K (which, believe me, is impressive). Shot on 16mm black and white, it evokes early cinema in its tale of a fishing village falling apart. It's memorable for its approach rather than its characters, but it's a worthy curiosity.

1917: 6/10
An utterly hollow movie that impresses purely on a technical level. Has to be seen in a cinema, otherwise its pointless. It reminds me of Gravity, another film that's a series of obstacles with little characterisation, but this is slightly more impressive for a few reasons I can't spoil.

A Hidden Life: 5/10
Sorry Chien! I will always give Malick a chance and in this film he almost nails it, due to a more recognisable plot that grounds the story. But at 3 hours I was checking my watch. If Malick had managed to cut it down to closer to 2 hours, this would have been amazing, but sadly it drags too much.

Waves: 7/10
Impressive drama that does something really interesting with its structure, the kind of thing that will piss off more people than it will delight. But the brave move is done for a thematic reason, as the film explores the tragic error of a kid, and then explores the consequences of that for his family. The performances are incredible throughout, which more than makes up for the somewhat soapy plotting and sometimes slow pacing.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

numbersix wrote:But at 3 hours I was checking my watch.
Do as I do, I don't wear a watch anymore, and I turn my phone off before the lights go off, so there's no time to check ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Color Out of Space 8/10

If you've ever wanted to see Nicolas Cage blow the heads off of alpaca, this is the movie for you. Richard Stanley's first narrative directorial effort in 28 years is a bonkers adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft, an author whose work has long eluded the screen, about a New England family whose normal lives are rocked after a meteorite lands in their yard and exudes a bright glow than seeps into the water supply. The water soon begins to slowly turn the family against each other and things only get worse from there.

For the most part, the movie works very well. Stanley challenges what the audience considers normal in science fiction and horror and makes something that's beyond what's accepted. The only faults I had were some of the special effects (to be fair, it was a low-budget film) and a few scenes with the younger characters that might have used re-shoots. Lovecraft is a controversial figure, a lot of it for good reason, but his work in the right hands can make for good cinema.

The advance screening I attended had a Q&A hosted by Patton Oswalt shot at the Los Angeles premiere shown after but I didn't stay as I had a headache. I did get a shot of Nic wearing a Diceman jacket there though.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Fantastic Fungi 8/10

A more adult-aimed nature documentary, focusing on the power and benefits of mushrooms. The first half focuses on the history of mushrooms and their various uses while the second half goes more into a New Agey direction with the medicinal uses and how the fungus can help with disease and fighting climate change. Not surprisingly, there are a lot of trippy elements that open your eyes and we get to see a lot of time-lapse footage of mushrooms. But it's more Disneynature or old Discovery Channel than Koyaanisqatsi as a lot of the documentary is interview-based. Though I'm sure the doc might lose some in the second half, there is a lot of interesting information and in the end, I liked it more than the somewhat similar Honeyland (which will most likely win the Oscar for Best Documentary Feature).

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

I haven't reviewed anything here in a while but

Color Out Of Space - was a typical batshit Nic Cage movie. It's good in that sense only. Taken seriously, it's filled with bad performances, bad writing, and nonsense. Nice addition to the Nic Cage Goes Crazy supercut though.

Bad Boys For Life - way funnier than expected. It's closer to the original than the OTT sequel.

The Gentlemen - played like a greatest hits of Guy Ritchie's backlog. Liked it a lot - Hugh Grant and Charlie Hunnam did better work here than I've seen from them in years.

1917 - a well-made adventure, but I cannot see it holding up outside of theaters. Dolby digital was a must for this one.

Jay and Silent Bob Reboot - it's incredible how insular Kevin Smith has become. The meta is so much, it pretty much collapses on itself. I think I'm done with Kevin Smith after that, though I hope he'll return to an original script sometime soon (one not started as a joke on one of his 900 podcasts).

The Lighthouse - THIS IS INSANE.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I thought Reboot was unwatchable. Kevin Smith should have just quit filmmaking and stayed as a celebrity, running his comic book shop and doing IMDb coverage. We don't really need Mallrats 2 or Clerks 3 or whatever he keeps telling us is coming but never will (Moose Jaws, Hit Somebody, the long-finished but unreleased Killroy Was Here).

Anyway...

A Hidden Life 9/10

2019's most beautifully-shot film also serves as a fascinating commentary on fanaticism and how blind allegiance and mob mentality can cause those to ignore practicality and truth. It's somewhat like The Crucible but in World War II Austria and with Puritan society replaced by Nazism. But most importantly, it's a film on how no matter how extreme, families that love and care for each other stick together. Both the subjects of family and faith seem to be a theme in Malick's films but he does in a way to where it feels authentic. People can call him boring all they want but he's depicting life as we know it and he has an eye for showing reality. He brings us into these worlds he as created, much like a Walt Disney of realism. Most of his films are experiences and A Hidden Life is no exception.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Gretel & Hansel 3/10

Pretty boring, basically. The film has seemingly more in common with The Witch than the works of the Brothers Grimm while it does this weird aspect ratio thing (the prologue is anamorphic while the rest is in a narrow 1.55 format) in what seems to be an attempt be like Trey Edward Shults. However, I prefer this one over The Witch as the characters aren't total morons. But they are very flat in something that could have easily been a short.

Anthony Perkins' son is 0/3 in my book. Remind me not to see his next one.