Rate That Movie Part IV: Movies Never Sleep

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: Rate That Movie Part IV: Movies Never Sleep

Post by Buscemi2 »

Joker 8/10

Neither the groundbreaking masterpiece European critics hyped it up to be nor the mind-corrupting disaster American critics made it out to be. But Joaquin Phoenix's performance manages to elevate this film from what could have easily been another trashy American "eat the rich" film that would have gone straight-to-VOD to something more. I feel that a lot of the criticisms have been overblown as there have been much worse that have gotten off rather easily (such as the Death Wish remake and Peppermint last year). And even though Todd Phillips still can't write women, he does a better job of directing them than he did in the Hangover trilogy. A lot of the film's strengths lay in the atmosphere, which has usually been good in these DC adaptations (except for Justice League and Shazam!). And with the exception of the Wayne family elements, it doesn't really feel like a comic book adaptation. There's some Taxi Driver here, a dash of Network, a cup of The King of Comedy, a tablespoon of Hedwig and the Angry Inch, etc.

The film could have lost a few minutes near the end but I feel Joker should get some credit for being different. Not everything has to be black and white, "fight the bad guy, rescue the girl, and save the city". Sometimes, it's not like that.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

One Child Nation 8/10

Eye-opening documentary about the effects of the one-child policy that existed in China from 1979 to 2015 and how it tore apart families, forced people to do government work against their will, and how a short-term solution ended up doing much more harm than good, told from the view of the victims of the policy. Though it is about families, I found the interesting aspect was the depiction of Chinese propaganda and how it's not much different from American propaganda (the film even points out that China and the US are way more similar than anyone cares to admit). That and the family in Utah's work uncovering suppressed data about adopted children was fascinating. I could watch a whole movie on those two.

It seems like for a long time, the one-child policy was regarded as somewhat of a joke in the States, with people being like "it can't happen here". This documentary shows that it was no laughing matter.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

Joker

Joaquin Phoenix is astounding. Technicaly, Joker is an achievement, with Oscar-worthy sound design and gorgeous 70mm cinematography. The screenplay, however...

The actual movie seems confused, as if whether or not it's a glorification of Joker (and the alt-right parallels aren't subtle), or a character study about someone who is beaten down by society until he snaps, along the lines of Taxi Driver. As a film, it technically is very well designed. I do have to wonder, however, if the controversy surrounding the film is somewhat accurate. While I doubt that the film's intent was to inspire violence, the movie is ambiguous enough that the incel crowd could take it as a justification for their behavior. And Robert De Niro's plotline felt kind of useless considering the Joker had already snapped before his stand-up got heckled by De Niro's impression of Johnny Carson.

One thing that I think has been overlooked in all the hype is the portrayal of mental illness - if someone would have given him any mental help his transformation could have been nonexistent. I think the film's commentary on mental healthcare is to be admired, despite the toxic message some will take from the other elements of the story.

7 out of 10
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Gemini Man 8/10

I actually had a lot of fun with this one. The plot is basic but the visual effects are quite good and the cinematography shows how much HFR has improved in the past few years. The 3-D is also some of the best I've seen in some time. Sure, it's basically a more modern version of a 90's action film (in fact, the film was originally written for Mel Gibson) but I feel that adds to the appeal. What's wrong with a two hour escape that offers some new technology in the process?

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Jojo Rabbit - A++++

What an incredible, moving film. I haven't liked a movie this much since...Her? Maybe Silver Linings Playbook?

It's funny and heart-warming and heart-wrenching. It's been a long time since I was in a theater that both laughed out loud numerous times together and later on, heard several people crying.

Obviously, it's start of Oscar season but I'm really not seeing how anything is standing up to this.

And while everyone brought their A-game (Sam Rockwell, Alfie Allen, and Rebel Wilson brought it as the comic relief), this is almost Scarlett Johannson's movie. She's basically a co-lead and, perhaps other than herself in Marriage Story (based on what I heard from other attendees), nobody is close to her for an Actress Oscar this year.

I have Just Mercy and maybe Waves tomorrow, depending on my schedule.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

Judy

A welcome comeback role for Renne Zellweger, even if the movie around it isn't quite as effective. I'm suprised it's been holding up as well as it has, considering it's much darker and tragic than the marketing lets on (although Garland die-hards likely knew that). One thing that hasn't been as appreciated as it should be is the makeup: they really did an astounding job making Zellweger look like Garland. And she is great in the role - I almost definitely see her getting a second Oscar for this. Jessie Buckley has very little to chew on as a stereotypical manager, and the other actors don't get much either (although the majority of them are solid). The screenplay has ups and downs (the scene in the first 10 minutes where Judy and Sid argue over custody after the hotel incident is a standout, and not in a good way), and the editing choices are iffy at times, in particular when linking to the flashbacks. Overall, the film could have used some more work, but it's not bad by any means

7 out of 10

Image courtesy of -

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Here’s a quick recap of everything I saw at week two of the Vancouver Film Festival, from best to worst.

Blood Quantum – Move over, Fido. You can no longer claim to be the best Canadian zombie film ever made. During a zombie outbreak, a Native tribe discovers they’re the only ones immune to the virus, so the reservation becomes a fortified safe haven against the zombie hordes. The movie never vilifies the white man or idolizes the Native population, instead showing life on the res, warts and all. It’s even brave enough to allow a Native character to become the movie’s antagonist. It’s a challenging and entertaining film. (8/10)

Extra Ordinary – A very funny Irish comedy about a frumpy driving instructor/reluctant exorcist who gets dragged into a battle of wits with an eccentric, washed up rock star (Will Forte) intent on sacrificing a virgin to resurrect his career. It’s very fast paced and crammed full of jokes, but Will Forte is too over-the-top in a movie where everyone else plays it pretty straight and lets the script do the heavy lifting. (8/10)

Portrait Of A Woman On Fire – A very well-made bodice-ripper whose biggest issue is that the themes of forbidden love and oppression have been done many times before, and the patriarchy of the 18th century is a pretty easy target. (8/10)

Paradise Falls – A dystopian sci-fi set on a tropical island finishing school where young girls are sent against their will to become perfect wives or perfect daughters. I liked the look of the film, which is equal parts Emily Bronte and Logan’s Run, but again this feels like another movie that’s fighting a battle that’s already been won, there’s not enough explanation of the world outside the school, and there’s a sudden, jarring shift from sci-fi to fantasy near the end. (7/10)

The Lodge – An expertly-made, very tense horror thriller about two kids and their future step-mom trapped in a remote yet fancy lodge that would probably go for a pretty penny on AirBnB if not for all the mysterious happenings. The movie offers up several possible explanations for what’s going on before opting for the least satisfying and most preposterous explanation, so it’s ultimately disappointing, although it’s always nice to see the Hammer logo up on a movie screen. (7/10)

Greener Grass – After 5 minutes I was thinking this might be the find of the festival. Unfortunately, it’s a one-joke movie that repeats the joke ad nauseam without bothering to add a plot, character motivation, or any of the things that can elevate a sketch into a feature film. It could have worked in small doses as a web series, but not in its current form. (3/10)

Wild Goose Lake – There are few things more annoying to me than an inherently silly movie that takes itself far too seriously, and that’s precisely what this is. There are moments in this film so ridiculous they might have worked in a 70s Bond film if Roger Moore had raised an eyebrow afterwards and made a suitable quip, but not in a movie that thinks it’s the next Goodfellas. (3/10)

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Wrinkles the Clown 4/10

An interesting premise of families hiring a creepy clown to scare their children in lieu of punishment is squandered by a docufiction approach that bizarrely tries to mix It: Chapter One with Shakes the Clown with a subplot of dumb YouTubers in the South who are encouraged by the clown to do their own thing. I came into this documentary hoping for something like Tickled, which combined absurdity with a multi-layered storyline. Here, there's maybe about 20 minutes of good material while the other hour or so is just padding and rednecks doing stupid things. Though there are some moments that could make for a good documentary (such as a scene that breaks down how the cultural depiction of clowns became that of evil), it's wasted in favor of reenactments and some kids that you really grow to not like.

When I came into the theatre, the projectionist was prepping up for a secret showing of Arachnophobia to play later in the evening. I would have been happier watching John Goodman kill spiders than the mess that was Wrinkles the Clown.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

A friend wanted to see Maleficent 2, so I ended up seeing it. It was okay, the special effects are great. Michelle Pheiffer tries to chew the scenery as the scheming queen (don't think they even give her a name but we didn't stay for the credits), but goes way over the top. Jolie and Elle Fanning plays the same role she seems to play in every movie, but considering the first that's unsurprising. It definitely seems like the script was written before the first was released, as some of the film seems to attempt to be a metaphor for the Iraq War (with the flower being oil, the way Pheiffee starts the war through division being representative of the rise of Islamophobia/government-mandated torture, etc.) but doesn't come together in a coherent way. A lot of the movie (especially anything involving the aforementioned flower) just seems like Disney pulling things out of their ass to pad the runtime. And I don't remember the mushroom/porcupine things from the first. Nothing the movie does is able to shake the fact that the character arcs are the exact same as the first, resembling the whole movie pointless. I would give it a 5 out of 10

Image courtesy of -

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Buscemi2 wrote:Gemini Man 8/10

I actually had a lot of fun with this one. The plot is basic but the visual effects are quite good and the cinematography shows how much HFR has improved in the past few years. The 3-D is also some of the best I've seen in some time. Sure, it's basically a more modern version of a 90's action film (in fact, the film was originally written for Mel Gibson) but I feel that adds to the appeal. What's wrong with a two hour escape that offers some new technology in the process?

completely disagree, young will smith was creepy and completely took me out of it every single time he was on screen. i guess thats why his face was hid half the movie or it was dark.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

undeadmonkey wrote:
Buscemi2 wrote:Gemini Man 8/10

completely disagree, young will smith was creepy and completely took me out of it every single time he was on screen. i guess thats why his face was hid half the movie or it was dark.
Hell, old Will Smith was creepy half the time.

Just after the NBA and Blizzard stuff with China seeing all the Chinese logos at the beginning and tons of product placement in the first thirty minutes took on a new meaning to me.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I think the worst example of product placement in a film in recent memory was The Death of Dick Long. A low-budget film should not have that much product placement.

As for China, that's just par the course for the current Hollywood model in terms of financing. Most of the US venture capitalists seem to have gone bust or pulled their money, Village Roadshow (Australia) seems to have pulled out, and Europe really hasn't done it in a long time. The only big one I can think of that's not Chinese is Bron Creative (the Canadian hedge fund that seemed to have had their hand in half of everything lately).

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Yeah, but seeing clearly CGI-ed Coke and Stella Artois with all the Chinese logos just days after multiple attempts of stifling free speech... It changed the meaning for me. I know it wasn’t meant in that way, but it was hard for me to ignore.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Deluxe Review Package!

Werewolf: 6/10
Odd Polish film about a bunch of kids just freed from concentration camps who stay in a mansion in the countryside, only to fund themselves under siege. By what? You may as well watch it, as it's a pretty good thriller.

Sorry We Missed You: 6/10
Ken Loach's latest, about a family working zero hour contracts, is better than most of his films because his characters are flawed and not just innocent victims. You'll never treat delivery folk the same.

Les Miserables: 6/10
Not the musical, but a French cop drama set in Paris slums. It has plenty to say about police corruption and its impact on the whole city eco system, although it uses some very familiar tropes.

Deerskin: 5/10
Quentin Dupieux's latest is a funny premise - a man so obsessed with his deerskin coat he wants to destroy everyone else's coats, at any cost - but it feels more like a fun short stretched into 80 or so minutes.

The Last Black Man in San Francisco: 6/10
Intriguing but uneven drama about a young man who decides to reclaim his old family home. It's a mix of realism and odd quirkiness, and of course being an ode to a fading version of San Fran. It's rambling but engaging.

The Farewell: 7/10
Likeable comedy drama about an Asian-American woman going back to China to celebrate a fake wedding in order to say goodbye to her dying grandmother. Less funny and more placid, it still is great at what it does, and Akwafina's performance is suitably awkward.

The Antenna: 4/10
Painfully slow Turkish horror about an apartment block that installs a government satellite and soon finds itself dealing with a black goo which corrupts everyone. Aside from the political message it's a dreary affair.

Saint Maud: 7/10
One of the most impressive debut films in recent years. This British film follows a religious nurse who becomes convinced she can "save" her dying patient, an ex dancer and total bohemian. The plot is thin but the atmosphere is fantastic and at 83 mins it never drags.

Perfect 10: 5/10
Avoiding the obvious numbers jokes, this is a ho-hum social realist drama about a teen girl from a poor family who has to deal with her rogueish half-brother moving in. Like a weak version of Fish Tank.

Make Up: 5/10
Another debit Brit film, this one about a teen who spends the off-season with her boyfriend working in a caravan park, only to discover strange things. The balance between drama and horror/thriller doesn' quite work, and the ultimate reveal is really underwhelming.

Synchronic: 6/10
Benson and Moorhead's latest is a step down from the ambitious The Endless and Spring, with a bigger budget bringing slick visuals and a larger world, but the pacing drags. It's about two ambulance drivers who learn of a new designer drug that can do pretty crazy things. Once it gets into its genre groove, it's fun, but the balance of plot and character isn't working. That's why they're re-cutting it for release (that's a scoop for anyone who cares).

Relativity: 6/10
Decent debut German film about a couple whose budding relationship hits a tragedy, and what happens afterwards. It's quite like 21 Grams in the way past and present are mixed up, and this film makes the right move of focusing on the feelings rather than the non-linear trickery.

Judy and Punch: 5/10
Wildly uneven darkly comic revenge thriller based on the Punch and Judy shows. Here, a failing performer couple deals with Punch's growing alcoholism, which leads to betrayal and violence. So it's up to Judy to fight back. It's too long and the finale is weak due to its use of speeches over action, but you have to be impressed by its imagination. Think of Tim Burton making Death Wish.

Burning Cane: 4/10
Okay, so on level you have tp be impressed by this debut film, written and directed by a teenager! And it does remind one of a film like George Washington in its depiction of the impoverished South USA. But I just couldnt' engage.

Babyteeth: 7/10
Another impressive debit, this time for Australian Shannon Murphy. This is a coming-of-age story told with visual panache, and features plenty of wit and some heavy feels. The teen cast are great, with support from Ben Mendelsohn.

The Day Shall Come: 6/10
Considering this is from one of the great satirists of our era, this movie is a disappointment. It's liek he transplanted Four Lions to the US, picking a somewhat innocent Black Rights movement (of 4 people) and shows how the US government takes aim at them in order to hit their anti-terrorist targets. It's funny in places, but is wrapped up quite neatly and just isn't as biting as it could and should have been.

By the Grace of God: 6/10
Ozon's take on a recent case, concerning a group of men abused by a priest as kids learn that he's still out there, is dealt with suitable complexity and humanity. It avoids melodrama but still deals with the personal and emotional issues of three of the victims as they deal with the case and their own problems. It's a smart, sophisticated film, if not a tad too long.

Wounds: 5/10
Babak Anvari's awaited follow up to Under the Shadow is a disappointment, a silly genre flick with some poor performances (Dakota Johnson is one of the worst actresses around) and dialogue, with a story that doesn't really emerge until the last few minutes.

Braid: 6/10
Shallow but visually stunning thriller about two young criminal women who return to their old friend's mansion to play a weird, sick game. This is more about mood than story, and the film delivers on that aspect.

Joker: 5/10
And here we come to the big film that everyone has been talking about. I suppose one's response is entirely dependent on your relationship with comic book movies. As a story, with its stylistic rootings in gritty 70s cinema, this doesn't work. It's too one-dimensional, particularly in its depiction of the failing health service that lets go of Joker, and every single secondary character is completely unbelievable. But in the heightened world of comics I'm sure this is rarely a problem.

Joaquim is good although very OTT in every scene, making him exhausting. Stylistically it's both impressive and infuriating. Its so derivative of better films (such as the obvious use of the finger-to-head-as-if-gun from Taxi Driver's iconic climax), the use of music is totally off (something common to Phillip's films), it's way too long for its thin plot. And its a bit preachy about its politics, satirising how people don't understand humour (a bullshit claim made by the director), and of course the BLM and Occupy movements (which in theory could be satirised but you better do something with that and not just throw it in the mix). I get how people like the film's "darkness" and it certainly delivers on that, but not much else.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Terminator: Dark Fate 3/10

Basically a best of compilation of the other Terminator films, this darkly lit and dull attempt to right the franchise's wrongs ends up just being another unnecessary sequel. More Universal Soldier than The Terminator, the film at times tries to raise itself from the general doldrums that director Tim Miller and the six credited writers (including James Cameron himself) put it into but ultimately, the boredom reigns supreme as there really seems to be no attempt to make it stand out from previous installments. Linda Hamilton (top-billed!) is the highlight of the film but there isn't much else to recommend.

Maybe those Terminators can stop going back in time to kill innocent people based on the box office results. Because there's no more of a reason to keep going.