Rate That Movie Part IV: Movies Never Sleep

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Re: Rate That Movie Part IV: Movies Never Sleep

Post by JohnErle »

Screen203 wrote:Vox Lux may be the worst film I've ever seen in a theater - walked out after an hour.
You got out just in time. It gets much, much worse.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

W wrote:I think I’m making a special trip tomorrow to They Shall Not Grow Old. Anyone else? It’s only playing tomorrow and the 27th. It looks ridiculous for a history lover like me.
How come i haven't heard about this before, the trailer is really effective

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

JohnErle wrote:
Screen203 wrote:Vox Lux may be the worst film I've ever seen in a theater - walked out after an hour.
Yowch.

How do you embed a GIF? Shit.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I usually right-click "view image" from the source, isolate the image from the site, and drop the link between the brackets.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

Shrykespeare wrote:
JohnErle wrote:
Yowch.

How do you embed a GIF? Shit.
I left after the scene in the tunnel with the flashing lights, having no hope that this shitshow of a movie would get any better. Disappointing considering that the trailers and reviews were great.
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

They Shall Not Grow Old is a 10/10 for me both in subject matter and technically. Instead of a narrator they had use of 600 hours of interviews of WWI soldiers from the 1960's/70's. It's pretty much the best Ken Burns-ish doc there is, though it's only a hour and a half or so. There are parts where the color looks weird as Hell, but so much of it looks as if it was done thirty years ago and not a hundred. My mouth was agape for about half the movie.

After the credits Peter Jackson has a thirty minute "making of" feature that is almost as fascinating as the movie itself. It's supposedly just for people that were at the Fathom event, but I'm sure it'll be on YouTube in the future. It goes through the process of taking footage thought unusable and cleaning it up. The before and after is just astonishing. It talks about the process of colorizing everything and Jackson has his own WWI uniforms, weapons, and.... artillery. He took a trip to the sites to take photos and video so he could get the color of the grass right.

As far as I'd heard they cleaned up all of the footage and audio (not just what they used) so that people after them can use it. Jackson isn't taking a penny and probably lost a small fortune producing it. There's so much stuff they didn't use that they could make many more docs with the footage if they wanted to (I wish they'd do one on the homefront, beginnings of the RAF, the navy, etc). It makes you feel good to give money to something like this.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Aquaman 8/10

You have to be in a certain mindset to watch something like this. It's not really like a Marvel film but it's not really like a DC film either. It's pure tongue-in-cheek camp that plays less like a current film and more like the kind of product you used to see in theatres. If you're taking this film seriously, you might have missed what was being intended. It's a film designed to have fun with its admittedly ridiculous concept. It also has some excellent world-building and Jason Momoa and Amber Heard are a believable couple.

I wouldn't mind more movies set in Atlantis (especially with the credits scene hinting more Black Manta with Louis Huang in tow.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The Grinch 3/10

Another heavily-padded adaptation of Dr. Seuss's story that somehow has even less in common with the work than Ron Howard's adaptation from 2000. Only the last third seems to focus on the actual story as before then, we get all this padding with random Who characters (and when exactly did Cindy Lou become a main character?). In fact, more time seems to be spent trying to matchmake The Grinch with Cindy's mother (which never actually happens) than the actual stealing Christmas plot. Also, Benedict Cumberbatch with an American accent doesn't feel right. I think Steve Buscemi should have voiced The Grinch.

In the end, this could have been an okay TV special. But at 90 minutes, it's excessive and forgettable.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Bumblebee - 6/10

Mildly entertaining 80s romp with good Transformers action and a decent job by Hailee Steinfeld in the lead role.

I know this is a prequel to the entire Transformers series - ironic that this comes out now, after that series has run its course - but with Stephen Spielberg attached to it, the film was saved from turning into just another Bay explosion-fest.

The film leans heavily on 80's nostalgia, borrowing heavily from films such as E.T. and Short Circuit for that "regular human befriends non-human" vibe. Not much happens that you don't expect, which was a little disappointing, but it was pretty much exactly what I figured I'd get.

(I particularly enjoyed the Judd Nelson fist pump at the end of the Breakfast Club finding new life here.)

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

Shrykespeare wrote:Bumblebee - 6/10

Mildly entertaining 80s romp with good Transformers action and a decent job by Hailee Steinfeld in the lead role.

I know this is a prequel to the entire Transformers series - ironic that this comes out now, after that series has run its course - but with Stephen Spielberg attached to it, the film was saved from turning into just another Bay explosion-fest.

The film leans heavily on 80's nostalgia, borrowing heavily from films such as E.T. and Short Circuit for that "regular human befriends non-human" vibe. Not much happens that you don't expect, which was a little disappointing, but it was pretty much exactly what I figured I'd get.

(I particularly enjoyed the Judd Nelson fist pump at the end of the Breakfast Club finding new life here.)
Didn't Spielberg produce the first two or three?

Image courtesy of -

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Screen203 wrote:
Didn't Spielberg produce the first two or three?
Guess he did. Huh. Didn't know that.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Roma 4/10

I said that I'd never watch an Alfonso Cuaron film again but I saw this one in the theatre to support the possibility of other Netflix titles playing near me. And I have to say it's more tolerable than some of his other overpraised films. But my issues with Cuaron still remain. He still confuses boredom with plot and his overindulgences are often too unnecessary. The film is also quite unfocused. Is it about the maid, is it about the wife, is it about motherhood? Cuaron spends more time on the meaningless (what was up with that long bit with the Ford Galaxie parking and the close-ups of dog shit?) and his inability to do his own cinematography (all he does is pan to the left and go static) than getting on with the story. The film could have stood to lose a half-hour.

In the end, it's another forgettable Cuaron film that's getting endless praise for some reason.

Also, what's your opinion of people taking pictures of the screen during the movie? The idiot in front of me did this late in the movie and I don't understand why people think this is okay. First, it's considered a form of piracy. Second, why are you using your phone in the auditorium?

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

Second Act

Slight but cute. It really doesn't do anything new, but it's somewhat entertaining.

It isn't that much different than what was advertised, as it still features the story that is shown in the marketing, it just has (predictable) twists.

6 out of 10

Image courtesy of -

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

Buscemi2 wrote: Also, what's your opinion of people taking pictures of the screen during the movie? The idiot in front of me did this late in the movie and I don't understand why people think this is okay. First, it's considered a form of piracy. Second, why are you using your phone in the auditorium?
People around here use their phones all the time at movies. It's rude, but I would much prefer that to some of the stranger crowds we get around here. :roll:

Image courtesy of -