(Most of) Cinemascore's Archive is Now Free

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

(Most of) Cinemascore's Archive is Now Free

Post by Buscemi »

I went on Cinemascore today and found that you can now access most of their archives without a fee (you cannot access 1978 through much of 1986 through this).

Basically, you go on http://cinemascore.com/, type in a title and if they polled it, the title and score will appear. Here were some surprises I found.

Harlem Nights: A (this is considered by some one of Eddie Murphy's worst but audiences seemed to love it)
Ghostbusters II: A- (for a movie that was hated when it first came out, that's a good score)
Austin Powers: B- (audiences probably weren't ready yet)
Fallen: C+ (audiences must have expected a more standard film)
Showgirls: C (now, this is already a bad grade but I had expected the dreaded F)
Dead Ringers: C- (Cronenberg must not be big with the masses)
Closer: D+ (I thought audiences loved Mike Nichols movies but I guess not all of them)
American Psycho: D (looks like audiences weren't ready for Patrick Bateman)
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou: D (I was probably the only person who saw this in the theatre and loved it)
Eyes Wide Shut: D- (it was probably not what the Cruise/Kidman faithful expected)
The Ninth Gate: D- (imagine had this Depp/Polanski pairing come out a few years later, as it surely would have been higher)

Other oddities: RoboCop 3 (B+) had a better Cinemascore than RoboCop 2 (B-).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Re: (Most of) Cinemascore's Archive is Now Free

Post by Chienfantome »

Buscemi wrote:The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou: D (I was probably the only person who saw this in the theatre and loved it)
No you were not ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: (Most of) Cinemascore's Archive is Now Free

Post by Buscemi »

Some more interesting scores I found:

Tom and Jerry: The Movie: A- (this is considered one of the worst animated movies of all time but I guess 1993 audiences simply wanted to see the cat and mouse on screen again)
Groundhog Day: B+ (I guess people would not see the impact this one would have back then)
Men in Black: B+ (I thought everyone in 1997 loved this movie so the B+ surprises me)
Cats Don't Dance: B (this got a lot of critical love and is today a cult classic but I'm surprised audiences were somewhat indifferent)
The Blair Witch Project: C+ (good thing the Internet wasn't as widespread now as it was in 1999 as the word of mouth would have killed this one)
The Quick and the Dead: C+ (I figured Sam Raimi fans would have boosted this score)
Rango: C+ (perhaps one of the most puzzling results ever, as critics and other audiences seemed to embrace this one)
Starship Troopers: C+ (audiences probably weren't expecting the satire)
Throw Momma from the Train: C+ (I understand that dark comedy doesn't typically sell with audiences but I always figured this one had a higher score)
The Mist: C
Bringing Out the Dead: C- (I'm wondering if the marketing led audiences to think this would be something else completely)
Mimic: C- (if this came out today, del Toro fans would have certainly gotten it to the A- range)
Jawbreaker: D+ (looks like the late 90's wasn't the best time for high school-set satire, 1999 also had Election get a B- and Drop Dead Gorgeous get a C-)
The New World: D+ (another puzzling one as I must wonder what audiences expected with this one)
Very Bad Things: D+ (by comparison, the very similar The Hangover had an A)
Ravenous: D (blame this one on the marketing)
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr