Award Season 2014

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Award Season 2014

Post by numbersix »

Venice has marked the start of Awards Season.

Birdman has been getting amazing reviews, with Michael Keaton being amazing.

Chien's prediction for Keaston's Oscar nomination could be spot on.

Telluride starts this weekend and then we're into Toronto. Over the next two weeks we'll have a much clearer sense of the award frontrunners.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: Award Season 2014

Post by Buscemi »

But of course, acclaim at Venice rarely translates to Oscar glory (see Ben Affleck, Brad Pitt, The Wrestler and The Master).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Buscemi wrote:But of course, acclaim at Venice rarely translates to Oscar glory (see Ben Affleck, Brad Pitt, The Wrestler and The Master).
Very true, but the chances of at least a nomination are very high.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

All i know is Inherent Vice will feature at the oscars. Sorry but im clueless when it comes to awards, for example Gravity and American Hustle and on the flip side Prisoners and Her
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I'm not sure how the Academy will respond to a two and a half hour comedy with mindscrew tendencies and the lack of a payoff in the third act.

All I know is that the movie that wins Toronto will be a heavy favorite. I'm betting on The Theory of Everything to win there as it's got the components of a Toronto crowd pleaser: it's a biopic, a love story, a feel-good story and the lead is pushing himself to the limits to give a quality performance. At least three of those four appeared in previous winners such as Slumdog Millionaire, The King's Speech, Silver Linings Playbook and 12 Years a Slave.

Also, the film has to have at least one festival appearance to have a shot at Best Picture. Most of the heavy-hitters have punched their tickets but Fury, Big Eyes (which will probably premiere at London), Selma (which could be a secret title at New York or debut at AFI) and Untitled Lance Armstrong Biopic look to be missing in action (in fact, will the last even be ready for December?).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Yeah ive heard that about The Theory of Everything, i wanted it for my full year (then getting told you took it ages ago boosh, you little sneaky bugger)

As for the comedy, i dont know what you're talking about

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Paul Thomas Anderson has compared Inherent Vice to a Zucker/Abrahams/Zucker movie. And the book the film is based on is supposed to be rather quirky.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Im pretty sure he was joking, i cant see Joaquin Phoenix doing a Leslie Nielson. either way imdb lists it as a crime/drama/mystery. Also, Phoenix's past roles have all had a darker side to them, not to mention Anderson's films. Wikipedia mentions the book as a 'lighthearted affair' but there are some paranoia tones there too. Thomas Pynchon himself has apparently agreed with the script, so if thats anything to go by, who knows

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Buscemi wrote:
Also, the film has to have at least one festival appearance to have a shot at Best Picture. Most of the heavy-hitters have punched their tickets but Fury, Big Eyes (which will probably premiere at London), Selma (which could be a secret title at New York or debut at AFI) and Untitled Lance Armstrong Biopic look to be missing in action (in fact, will the last even be ready for December?).
Some of these could be in Telluride, which I suspect will be announced today. I know Toronto has given producers an ultimatum regarding which festival to premiere in, so we're going to see some surprise world premieres in here. Selma and Big Eyes are major possibilities.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Buscemi wrote:Paul Thomas Anderson has compared Inherent Vice to a Zucker/Abrahams/Zucker movie. And the book the film is based on is supposed to be rather quirky.
If Paul Thomas Anderson made a movie that was even remotely similar in tone to Airplane or The Naked Gun, I'd be absolutely beside myself. Based on what I've read about it, it sounds far too odd and fucked up to be anything other than a pitch-black comedy.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Anderson has hinted his next film will likely be a big studio comedy. And he tends to have a rather mainstream taste in film (some of his favorite movies include The Shining, Terminator 2 and The Birdcage).

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

numbersix wrote: Chien's prediction for Keaston's Oscar nomination could be spot on.
Of course ;)
Seriously though, I wouldn't be surprised to see Norton get a supporting nom too.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Buscemi wrote:Anderson has hinted his next film will likely be a big studio comedy. And he tends to have a rather mainstream taste in film (some of his favorite movies include The Shining, Terminator 2 and The Birdcage).
Oh god no.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

And Telluride had kicked off, with the expected raves and tears for Reese Witherspoon in Wild. That makes it the most talked about film of the awards season for at least the next ten minutes.

http://deadline.com/2014/08/wild-world- ... al-826952/

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

The similar 127 Hours was big at Telluride but ended up only getting a few Oscar nominations (and no wins).