Award Season 2014

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

NSpan
Frank Booth

Re: Award Season 2014

Post by NSpan »

JohnErle wrote:Some people deserve a good Booshing, and Bradley Cooper is one of them.

He's a whore because every move he makes seems coldly calculated, and right now his eyes are set on a gold trophy, so that makes him an Oscar whore. He made his money and became the sexiest whore alive by playing the douchebro in Wedding Crashers, awful romantic comedies, and The Hangover movies, but now he's all about the hardware and the glory. He's so desperate to be taken seriously and to shake off the pretty boy image, he's starring in the Elephant Man on Broadway, in a life imitating art Birdman kinda way.

He's a whore because when Ellen Degeneres takes a selfie at the Oscars you can be sure Bradley Cooper will rip the phone from her hands and position himself front and centre. He's a whore because when he was just a student at a taping of Inside The Actor's Studio and he asked Sean Penn a question, he made damn sure to strike a pose so that the camera would linger on him as long as possible.

But mainly he's a whore because I can't look at his smug face without wanting to punch it, so I may be a tad biased. Please tell me he doesn't have a cameo in Short Term 12. ;-)
I'm not a big fan of Cooper (although his voicing of Rocket Raccoon is solid). But this video edit is hilarious
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

SAG Awards

ACTOR: Eddie Redmayne
ACTRESS: Julianne Moore
S. ACTOR: JK Simmons
S. ACTRESS: Patricia Arquette
CAST: Birdman

Looks like the Lead Actor Oscar is a neck-and-neck race between the old and the young. Tough call.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

It seems to be the only suspense remaining in the acting categories. Arquette and Simmons are locks, and have been all the way through the season, and Moore has emerged has an almost certainty now. But Best Actor could still go either way between Keaton and Redmayne.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

The weirdest thing just happened this morning in Paris. This morning was the announcement of the César Awards nominations, the French equivalent of the Oscars, and..... Kristen Stewart is now a César Award nominee. She got a nom for Best Supporting Actress in Olivier Assayas' SILS MARIA. Unbelievable. I didn't see that coming.

I won't bother you with all the nominations, they don't have any impact in the Award season we care about here, but for pleasure, I'll just give you the Best Foreign Film nominations :
- 12 years a slave
- Boyhood
- Two Days, One Night
- Ida
- Mommy
- The Grand Budapest hotel
- Winter Sleep

Otherwise, here are just a few trivias about the noms :
- Frederick Wiseman's National Gallery is nominated for Best Documentary (it's a French co-production)
- Binoche, Cotillard and Deneuve are all three nominated in the best Actress category
- The best French film of the year, the documentary "Au bord du monde" of which I wrote about in my "Best French films of the year thread", doesn't get a single nomination, not even for Best Documentary.
- In fact most of my favorite french films of the year are barely represented. Au bord du Monde, Jacky au Royaume des Filles, Tonnerre, La Belle vie, Tristesse Club, Maestro, 3 coeurs, Astérix and Eden did not get a single nomination.
- 3 of the 5 Best supporting actors nominations are for a Saint Laurent film (Jérémie Rénier and Louis Garrel for the Bonnello film, Guillaume Gallienne for the Lespert film)
- Timbuktu got 8 nominations. It's the third film with the most noms, behind Saint Laurent (10) and Les Combattants (Fighters) (9).
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Well, Stewart's been picking good projects since Twilight ended. And even the Razzies began a new category called Razzie Redeemer which is basically a "we we're sorry for giving you a Razzie" category and Stewart was one of the nominees (the others were Ben Affleck, Jennifer Aniston, Mike Myers, and Keanu Reeves).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Hollywood sure does love films about itself. No wonder Birdman won. If Boyhood had been about a child star growing up over the years it would have won hands down. But at least it's not Argo.

At least Whiplash and Grand Budapest won some awards, even if they're lesser ones. Whiplash should probably have won best adapted script, and Nightcrawler Best original, but whatareyagonnado?

To be honest, this is the most meh Oscars in a while. The Mehscars.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Academy Awards 2015, the winners :

Best Film : Birdman
Best Director : Alejandro González Iñárritu — Birdman
Best Actor : Eddie Redmayne — The Theory of Everything
Best Actress : Julianne Moore — Still Alice
Best Supporting Actor : J.K. Simmons — Whiplash
Best Supporting Actress : Patricia Arquette — Boyhood
Original Screenplay : Birdman
Best Adapted Screenplay : The Imitation Game
Best Foreign Language Film : Ida
Best Animated Movie : Big Hero Six
Best Documentary Feature : Citizen Four
Original Score : The Grand Budapest Hotel — Alexandre Desplat
Cinematography : Birdman — Emannuel Lubezki
Editing : Whipalsh
Production Design : The Grand Budapest Hotel
Costume Design : The Grand Budapest Hotel
Makeup and Hairstyling : The Grand Budapest Hotel
Sound Mixing : Whiplash
Sound Editing : American Sniper
Visual Effects : Interstellar
Original Song : Selma (Glory)
Live Action Short Film : The Phone Call
Documentary Short Subject : Crisis Hotline: Veterans Press 1
Best Animated Short : Feast
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I'm really disappointed Boyhood didn't win a bit more. And Grand budapest didn't win any "major" award. And Redmayne won Best Actor. I'm sick of those biopic wins in acting categories.
And Ida winning Best Foreign, although I must say there wasn't much to choose from in this category.
And Imitation Game winning Best adapted screenplay is such a conventional win too.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

While it's obviously disappointing that such a ground breaking movie such as Boyhood didn't win, I'm okay with most of the awards. I really enjoyed Birdman, and felt all the acting awards were very well deserved. I guess the big issue with most probably stems from that it was all a little too expected, there were no real surprises. Yes, it would have been nice if some of the snubbed movies had gained a little more recognition, in that I'm referring to the likes of Nightcrawler and LEGO, but from what was nominated, for the most part I was happy.

And really, surely the best thing to take away from that night was seeing Bradley Cooper once again fail to win an Oscar.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

I wasn't really pissed about any of the winners (though it should be noted I haven't seen Theory of Everything or Still Alice so that could change), so that's better than usual for the Oscars. Birdman's original screenplay victory was the only win I felt was really undeserved. Especially happy about J.K. Simmons winning and American Sniper being almost completely shut out.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I wasn't really interested in any of the pictures nominated this year. so I didn't even care to tune in to the telecast. however I am happy to see that American Sniper and Grand Budapest didn't get much Oscar love. they didn't deserve it.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

I'm pretty happy with the Oscar results. We knew Best Picture was done to Boyhood and Birdman, and as I haven't seen Boyhood yet, I can't see whether it's as good as Birdman.

I'm surprised Redmayne got Best Actor though, I thought Keaton was due for a Lifetime award but playing Hawking is a helluva physical transformation though.

Moore and JK deserved all their awards.

Kind of surprised American Sniper went home basically empty handed, but it seems a big chunk of that $300M+ came from Middle America and not so much liberal California.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:I'm pretty happy with the Oscar results. We knew Best Picture was done to Boyhood and Birdman, and as I haven't seen Boyhood yet, I can't see whether it's as good as Birdman.

I'm surprised Redmayne got Best Actor though, I thought Keaton was due for a Lifetime award but playing Hawking is a helluva physical transformation though.

Moore and JK deserved all their awards.

Kind of surprised American Sniper went home basically empty handed, but it seems a big chunk of that $300M+ came from Middle America and not so much liberal California.
That reminds me I saw earlier that a bunch of conservative gun nuts have been flooding Birdman's Facebook page with comments how the liberal Academy "disrespected the military" by not giving Best Picture to the story of a "true American hero". Reading that shit was equal parts hilarious and sad.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:I thought Keaton was due for a Lifetime award but playing Hawking is a helluva physical transformation though.
That's what I hate about these kind of awards. They'll prefer the physical transformation to play someone real rather than creating a character who only exsits on the page. It's kind of sad about their idea of great acting. It should be called "Imitation Game" rather than acting, ironically.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

It's hilarious how people are still so convinced Hollywood is liberal. If it was so liberal, then Selma wouldn't have needed to be produced with UK financing and movies like American Sniper, Divergent and The Purge: Anarchy wouldn't have been produced at all. It's been quite conservative for years now.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr