Award Season 2014

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Re: Award Season 2014

Post by JohnErle »

Some people deserve a good Booshing, and Bradley Cooper is one of them.

He's a whore because every move he makes seems coldly calculated, and right now his eyes are set on a gold trophy, so that makes him an Oscar whore. He made his money and became the sexiest whore alive by playing the douchebro in Wedding Crashers, awful romantic comedies, and The Hangover movies, but now he's all about the hardware and the glory. He's so desperate to be taken seriously and to shake off the pretty boy image, he's starring in the Elephant Man on Broadway, in a life imitating art Birdman kinda way.

He's a whore because when Ellen Degeneres takes a selfie at the Oscars you can be sure Bradley Cooper will rip the phone from her hands and position himself front and centre. He's a whore because when he was just a student at a taping of Inside The Actor's Studio and he asked Sean Penn a question, he made damn sure to strike a pose so that the camera would linger on him as long as possible.

But mainly he's a whore because I can't look at his smug face without wanting to punch it, so I may be a tad biased. Please tell me he doesn't have a cameo in Short Term 12. ;-)

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

HA! That's gold jElre, but i 100% agree with you there.

As for my 2 cents...

-Im not a fan of Emma Stone, and don't like her nomination (watched Birdman last night)
-Lego Movie, to me wasn't great, but it probably did deserve a nomination at least, though haven't seen all the noms
-Michael Keaton and Edward Norton getting nominations, thats good, hope they win
-The Hobbit getting a nomination? Imagine if it wins?
-J.K Simmons getting a nomination, also good
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

It's only in the Sound categories, Ron, and I imagine Interstellar will sweep those.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

How Interstellar even got nominated in sound is beyond me. Turning up the Zimmer organ to 11 and drowning out the dialogue isn't a bad idea when said dialogue is so awful, but you still don't want to frustrate the audience. Get on Up should have received nominations in both sound categories. Even from a shitty rip it you can tell it's excellent. Just don't get me started on Chadwick Boseman's snub - so far only Redmayne's performance was in his league.

I loved Silver Linings Playbook but that doesn't make me think Cooper is a good actor. He's one step above Vince Vaughn, always going for the charming guy role. American Hustle was fun but his was by far the least impressive performance in it. He's not a terrible actor, but I've yet to see him inhabit a role properly except for the self-conscious smug character he played in The Hangover.

And delighted that the academy snubbed Gone Girl. An absolutely awful script with no sense of coherent tone or character. The only thing that sours it is the knowledge that she's working on a remake of Strangers on a Train. Called Strangers on a Plane.

The LEGO movie missing out was a shame, perhaps the Academy just didn't see below the surface. Great that Song of the Sea got that last place, though.

Best surprise was Cotillard getting a nom over Jenifer Aniston. Not a great film (didn't even get a best foreign film nom) but she is fantastic in it.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

To some, being the loudest means being the most impressive. Most of these Academy members couldn't give two shits about sound mixing and editing (remember how Wall-E failed to win Best Sound Editing in 2008?).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:How Interstellar even got nominated in sound is beyond me.
I'm not surprised it got nominated--but I share your sentiment.
JohnErle wrote:
NSpan wrote:
JohnErle wrote:The Lego Movie: Maybe the animation branch looked at the climactic, live-action sequence and unofficially disqualified it. Or maybe the life-long animators saw Lord and Miller as carpetbaggers. Or maybe it was just too ADHD-youth oriented for Academy voters.
Carpetbaggers? In what sense?
In the sense that they haven't dedicated their lives to animation and simply pop in and out of the medium when it suits them. I'm not saying I hold that against them, and that didn't stop Wes Anderson's Fantastic Mr. Fox from getting nominated, but I can see how a life-long animator might say "Wait until you've made a few more animated movies, guys."
Not to push back too hard, but their roots are in animation. Their feature debut was (the excellent) Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs. Before that, they worked for Disney then went on to create Clone High for MTV. If anything, the Jump Street franchise was them stepping out of their animated comfort zone.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

clone High was fantastic! It should have had a longer run.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

NSpan wrote: Not to push back too hard, but their roots are in animation. Their feature debut was (the excellent) Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs. Before that, they worked for Disney then went on to create Clone High for MTV. If anything, the Jump Street franchise was them stepping out of their animated comfort zone.
That's what happens when I start spitballing at 10 am on a day when there's no coffee in the apartment.

I totally forgot about Cloudy and knew nothing about their previous history with Disney and MTV, so I doubt anyone in the animation branch sees them as carpetbaggers, but I think my other theories about why it may have been snubbed are entirely possible.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Boyhood took the Broadcast Film Critics award for Best Picture while Birdman won the most awards with seven. As the Broadcast Film Critics Association has successfully predicted the Best Picture Oscar winner in most years (since 1999, the two have only had different winners in three of those years), Boyhood has excellent odds to win Best Picture.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

American Snipers weekend numbers are mindboggling. guess you guys wont be seeing the end of Cooper anytime soon.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Right now, Cooper's streak reminds me of William Hurt in the 1980's. In the 1980's, he was showing up in a lot of acclaimed and popular movies (The Big Chill, Kiss of the Spider Woman, Children of a Lesser God, Broadcast News, The Accidental Tourist) and had a similar stretch of Oscar nominations (winning once). But the 1990's came and everyone found out how much of a dick William Hurt was and that's why you rarely see him as a leading man nowadays.

However, Hurt's a much better actor than Cooper. And I think anyone could have headlined American Sniper with the same box office results (I'd say its success is more due to military backing and middle America pandering).

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I'm not saying it's success is because of Cooper but with something like this there's usually a halo effect. Also, he just became a serious contender to win his academy nom.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Keaton has it in the bag. He's been winning nearly every award (critics, guilds and the Globes) and his Golden Globes speech sealed the deal. Only the really politically conservative voters will vote for Cooper (who's probably running fourth right now, behind Keaton, Redmayne and Cumberbatch).

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

I still have a hunch that Eddie Redmayne is going to win. The Academy LOVES anyone that portrays an iconic person with a disability.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Last I checked, Gold Derby was favoring Redmayne and some voters might still go for him but it's Keaton's Oscar at this point. The Golden Globes speech sealed the deal.