Award Season 2014

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

transformers2
John Rambo

Re: Award Season 2014

Post by transformers2 »

If Hollywood was truly conservative, American Sniper would've swept the fucking Oscars.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Considering the competition is a film about a Jazz drummer, a surreal film about a play's production, a film about the Civil Rights movement, one about a gay mathematician, another about an atheist scientist with a degenerative disease, one from Wes Anderson (let's just leave it there), and one artsy film that took twelve years to make... only 25% of Hollywood would have to be conservative to sweep the Oscars.

Best Picture would be between: American Sniper, Son of God, Transformers 4, Exodus, and Noah. Hell, Chris Pratt may have been nominated for Guardians. :)
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

The conservatives hated Noah (which is probably why it was such a hit outside of the US). Replace with God's Not Dead.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I know some of you were disappointed that Mommy didn't score an Oscar nom, but it just cleaned up at the Canadian Screen Awards, which is apparently still a thing.

Here's a link to a CBC article listing all the winners:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/canadian-sc ... -1.2977396

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I'm through watching in theaters the films released in 2014 in France I wanted to see. So I have officially seen 237 new films from 2014 in theater, plus 18 old films re-released in theaters.
For now, I have seen 46 new films from 2015 in theater, and 5 re-releases. I'm off to a good start.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I'm already thinking Brooklyn will be the favorite for next year's Oscars. It's a Fox Searchlight title, it opens in the fourth quarter and older voters will love it (also, Sundance premieres have had some Oscar success in recent years). Unless there's another showbiz-themed movie we don't know about.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Buscemi wrote:I'm already thinking Brooklyn will be the favorite for next year's Oscars. It's a Fox Searchlight title, it opens in the fourth quarter and older voters will love it (also, Sundance premieres have had some Oscar success in recent years). Unless there's another showbiz-themed movie we don't know about.
Good point, and add the Irish diaspora and fans of the novel too. The only concern is the history of these kinds of immigrant stories, which tends to indicate a hard sell. I still maintain Suffragette has massive award potential.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Suffragette absolutely has huge awards potential. Meryl Streep+biopic+relevant political subject matter is about as clear of an awards formula as humanly possible. It's still way too early to talk about serious contenders, but I believe The Revenant, In the Heart of the Sea, Joy and The Walk all have a good shot at picking up a lot of nod's as well.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Suffragette will probably end up like The Imitation Game: audiences love it but ends up being an also-ran in the awards races. In the Heart of the Sea and The Walk don't feel like Oscar movies while Joy will probably be too anti-feminist to appeal to female and more liberal voters (and if the director and star weren't in Hollywood's good graces, there is no way this would have gotten made).

The Revenant will be in the race but Inarritu just won one and Fox will have a bunch of movies in contention. Others I wouldn't count out include The Danish Girl (Redmayne's shot at back-to-back Oscars), Snowden (Gordon-Levitt's going to get nominated for something this year), The Lady in the Van (possibly Maggie Smith's last chance at a third Oscar), the Lance Armstrong movie (if it ever gets released), Me and Earl and the Dying Girl (this year's Whiplash?), Bridge of Spies (Spielberg and Hanks are still in with the Academy, right?) and maybe Black Mass (though the possibility of bad reviews and fatigue from Southie projects could kill its chances). A wild card is Sicario, which I think will be an early favorite to open Toronto (after a few years of opening with films with no Canadian connection, why not open with one from Canada's current favorite son?) but it could be too mainstream for the voters.