Was It Worth It - The Films of June

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Was It Worth It - The Films of June

Post by Shrykespeare »

Only six wide-release films in June, and most of them did okay. Too bad one of the few that didn't was the most expensive one.

NG

Cheap PTA picks that failed to net a single point:

The Signal ($6U) - 6.6 UR.
Policeman ($6U) - 6.1 UR.
Nothing Bad Can Happen ($3U) - 7.0 UR.

D-

The Sacrament ($3U) - 1 PTA (Jun only), 6.3.

D+

Jersey Boys ($10U, $10BO) - 2 T5, 0 PTA, 7.4 UR, $46M. Slightly more dollars earned than Clint's gotten in the last few years, but still dreadful numbers.

C-

Supermensch: The Legend of Shep Gordon ($3U) - 1 PTA (Apr/May), 2 PTA (Jun), 6.6 UR. Too bad the critical praise didn't translate to PTA.

Third Person ($3U) - 2 PTA, 6.5 UR. Meh.

C

Think Like A Man Too ($16U, $17BO) - 7 T5, 6 PTA, 5.5 UR, $65M. Considering this film had the entire weekend to itself, it should have done better.

Snowpiercer ($4U) - 3 PTA, 7.0 UR. And I know we were all expecting more out of this. Why, Wong-Kar?

C+

How to Train Your Dragon 2 ($40U, $42BO) - 12 T5, 4 PTA, 8.4 UR, $166M. I know most of you think I'm being generous here, but it did produce very good numbers in two of four categories. It was BO that was the killer. Goddamn shame.

B

Venus in Fur ($5U) - 4 PTA, 7.3M. Lots of so-so PTA picks this month. This one was square in the middle.

Yves St. Laurent ($3U) - 3 PTA, 7.2M Another decent if unspectacular French import.

B

The Rover ($3U) - 4 PTA, 7.3M. A worthy pick, but not overwhelmingly so.

B+

Edge of Tomorrow ($18U, $17BO) - 5 T5, 2 PTA (Apr/May), 4 PTA (Jun), 8.1 UR, $98M. Overshadowed in most categories by TFIOS, but it had decent legs and may yet become another blockbuster for Tom Cruise.

A-

The Fault in Our Stars ($14U, $13B) - 6 T5, 4 PTA, 8.3 UR, $123M. With a few more T5 and PTA, this would have been a perfect pick. Still, you can't argue with that UR or multiplier.

A

Transformers: Age of Extinction ($40U, $43BO) - 15 T5, 11 PTA, 6.3 UR, $241M. Everyone hated the movie, but against weak competition in early July, this film delivered in spades.

Obvious Child ($3U) - 7 PTA, 7.2 UR. Gotta love it when those quirky indie comedies deliver gold.

And the best picks of May:

A+

22 Jump Street ($23U, $25BO) - 18 T5, 8 PTA, 7.8 UR, $186M. Outduelled Dragon 2 at every turn, and became a smash hit when nothing could match it comedy-wise. Wish I'd taken it.

Begin Again ($4U, $3BO) - 9 PTA, 7.8UR, $13M. The best indie pick of the month. Wish I'd taken this one too.

Here's how my box office predictions fared this month:

HITS
Edge of Tomorrow - Predicted $38/$93, Actual $29/$98
Transformers: Age of Extinction - Predicted $93/$260, Actual $100/$241

NEAR MISSES
Jersey Boys - Predicted $16/$35, Actual $13/$46

EGREGIOUS MISSES
22 Jump Street - Predicted $57/$144, Actual $60/$186
How to Train Your Dragon 2 - Predicted $74/$280, Actual $50/$166
The Fault in Our Stars - Predicted $26/$73, Actual $48/$123
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: Was It Worth It - The Films of June

Post by Buscemi »

Actually, the box office for The Rover was $1.1 million. Personally, I'd give it an D/D- as it did absolutely nothing in wide release (not helping was the fact that it had no marketing whatsoever).

Also, The Signal should be an F. This was supposed to go wide in the second week of release but the poor opening weekend killed that plan.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

I had some of the best, worst and middling picks. At least they weren't all in the bottom half bar a couple this time :)

I totally missed Obvious Child and Begin Again. Was too impatient with my indie picks, and i thought The Rover would do better. But i had TFiOS and 22 Jump Street to fall back on, lucky
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Shrykespeare wrote:Snowpiercer ($4U) - 3 PTA, 7.0 UR. And I know we were all expecting more out of this. Why, Wong-Kar?
They shouldn't have put the film on VOD two weeks into its release. Yes, the VOD receipts were strong, but they killed off all prospects in theater.
(and Shyrke, you meant "Joon-ho", not "Wong Kar", Wong Kar Wai has nothing to do with it ;) )
Fluctuat nec mergitur

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Here's the BO ROI for June:

I hope I can survive after putting How To Re-Train Your Dragon on so many slates. The good news is that a lot of other people made the same mistake, and I surrounded it with good picks like Fault In Our Stars, 22 Jump Street, and Trannys 4: Age Of The DinoTrannys.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Wow, Jersey Boys had a better ROI than Dragon 2.

At least, as Shryke pointed out, it delivered somewhat in Ultimate and hopefully shouldn't sink my slates.