Rising Stars

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Rising Stars

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Ive been thinking about this a long while. Do you remember reading somewhere about Roger Eberts 6 rising stars of the future? Like Oprah Winfrey was back in 1986. I think the fantaverse can do the same and identify 5, 6 maybe 8 or even 10 stars at the end of every year and perhaps include it in the reelsociety awards? We could nominate and vote to give a broad consensus and then hopefully in 5 years or so we can look back and say, hey, i (or you) saw that coming!

And there is so many rising stars these days.

A few come to mind from the last few years without even digging around imdb.com, like:

Scoot McNairy
Dane DeHaan
Tye Sheridan
Shailene Woodley
Hailee Steinfeld
Michael B Jordan

even
Michael Shannon
Shea Wigham
Jessica Chastin
Mia Wasikowska

the list goes on. Directors are a bit different, as they usually can only helm 1 maybe 2 films per year, but a rookie director of the year is certainly feasible. What do you guys think? It would be exciting for me (and probably you) and im sure we can collectively think of a bunch or rising stars that in hindsight were totally correct or maybe way way off

Are there any rising stars of 2014 already? I say Tye Sheridan might be eligible for a nomination, what say you?
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Rising Stars

Post by numbersix »

A few that have come up recently in my part of the world

Ruth Bradley (GRABBERS): http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1094112/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1)
Jack O'Connell (71): http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1925239/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Tuppence Middleton (JUPITER RISING): http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3095562/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Katherine Waterston (INHERENT VICE): http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2239702/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t19
Kelly Reilly (CALVARY): http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0717709/?ref_=tt_ov_st
Jack Reynor (TRANSFORMERS 4): http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2930503/?ref_=tt_cl_t5
Charlie Murphy (PHILOMENA): http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3647676/?ref_=nv_sr_1

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Does Chris Pratt count? Normally being on a TV show for half a decade, starring in a $250 M film, and being the lead in a Marvel film would make you one already, but mainstream America still has no clue.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

I think there should be some guidelines on who and who isnt a rising star. Kelly Reilly for example could have been a rising star in 2008 when Eden Lake came out. Chris Pratt clearly has had a breakout year with The Lego movie and Guardians of the Galaxy, so he's in a bit of a different boat. You know, we could have another category just for that, breakout year, because im not so sure if Pratt is a rising star, as you said he's been in community for a while.

And excellent contribution six, i had to check up all but Jack O'Connell, which is the type of actor we are looking for, not well known and on the cusp of stardom. I would agree Katherine Waterston is definitely a rising star. And probably Tuppence Middleston too (what a name!).

two more names that i have found:
Craig Van Hook (The Place Beyond the Pines)
Sullivan Stapleton (300: Rise of an Empire)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Also here's a good link: http://www.screendaily.com/news/screen- ... 76.article

Not sure if you all can see it without subscription.
Most of these I don't know, besides one or two (one specifically is working on one of our films and is referenced in the article)

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Ron Burgundy wrote:I think the fantaverse can do the same and identify 5, 6 maybe 8 or even 10 stars at the end of every year and perhaps include it in the reelsociety awards?
I think we pretty much already do this with the Breakthrough Performance category. That generally recognises 5 actors from the given year that have had an astounding performance and are an actor to look out for. Many of those listed have indeed already featured in the category over the last few years. Always interested to hear who others think may be the rising stars though.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I was gonna say the same as Surfer. That's how I picture our "Breakthrough Performance" award.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

hmm, ok 5 seems like its not enough though. Can we expand it to say 7 or 8? There are that many rising stars/breakthrough performers these days. Also what is the criteria for that breakthrough award? Because like W said, i would say Chris Pratt is in a breakout year, but he's no rising star as he's been on Parks and Rec for a while now and had a big role in Delivery Man from last year.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I think Jack Reynor blew his chance after his performance in Transformers: Age of Extinction (where he seemed to slip between an Australian accent and an American accent despite playing an Irish character). Lucky for him, Nicola Peltz gave the worst performance.

Anyway, I think Jenny Slate is going to become a star after the positive response of Obvious Child (she's already shed the stigma of being "that girl who said fuck on Saturday Night Live a few years back"). Scouts v. Zombies could be Tye Sheridan's mainstream breakout (and maybe Arnie's son can too). And I could see the actors from Dear White People rise if that becomes the hit I think it will be.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Cool, im hoping Sheridan does indeed break out, Mud and Joe seemed like similar roles but he does act well.

And yeah Jenny Slate does seem to be rising, with The Longest Week and Digging for Fire her next two films, im sure there will be more to add to that list very soon.

I havent seen Transformers 4, (even 3 hehe) but i think Jack Reynor is poised for stardom, especially if MacBeth does well with Michael Fassbender

And although there is the breakout awards, perhaps we can just post all candidates here, to keep track and debate etc etc

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

If all depends on your definition of a rising star. I'd say Shaleine Woodley's a star already but Chris Pratt isn't, although Guardians Of The Galaxy might make him one. Five years on a cult TV show and lots of supporting roles probably qualifies him as "rising" though.

And there's something very wrong with the world if Alison Brie doesn't become a major star over the next few years, but I would have said the same thing about Elizabeth Banks ten years ago and that never panned out.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Shailene Woodley has only become a star this year, so because of that she is one of the rising stars of 2014, i couldn't say that about her straight after The Descendents, but perhaps breakout year is more apt. I think its important to gauge stardom with the general public view, like if i said to my housemate today, you know Chris Pratt/Shailene Woodley they would say no, but if i asked them again next year, they might say oh yeah thats the person from etc...

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I really don't get the big deal about Woodley. She was awful on The Secret Life of an American Teenager (why this show is never held against her, I'll never understand) and was the weak link in The Descendants. I see her ascent being temporary (ending once people realize there was no need for three Divergent sequels).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

She's up and coming if you consider she's the lead in a Sci-fi/fantasy trilogy, made a crapload of money as the #1 in a depressing romance, and she was excellent in The Spectacular Now. I'm not a fan of DIvergent and haven't seen Fault, but she's got an impressive career outlook... Kind of like Jennifer Lawrence a few years ago.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Buscemi wrote:I really don't get the big deal about Woodley. She was awful on The Secret Life of an American Teenager (why this show is never held against her, I'll never understand) and was the weak link in The Descendants. I see her ascent being temporary (ending once people realize there was no need for three Divergent sequels).
I would say most people would disagree with you about her being the weak link in The Descendants. She got nothing but praise for her performance in that. And it's hard to judge someone by their performance in a teen show, when the writing and directing could be far more to blame.