A New Site

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

empire13
Clark Griswald

A New Site

Post by empire13 »

Hello, all. I wanted to give you a heads-up on where we're at on a possible new site. I have spoken to my buddy, Bryan. He is on board and working with some site sketches I sent him. I stressed functionality over appearance in the beginning. He has enlisted the help of a co-worker. It seems to me that my friend is more of the design/framework guy, and his co-worker is the data retriever/code writer. So, between them things are starting to move forward. We don't have a window on when we could be operational, yet. I didn't want to bring the subject up this early in the process. My personal goal is to have a beta test done by late October/early November for a January roll out. This may be too optimistic, or it may be spot on, I have no freaking idea. I will put the question to them in the not too distant future. We have no firm price set on compensation, but Bryan appears to be hoping to showcase what he can do with his work on this site, so he seems willing to do it for very little/nothing. He just graduated with a degree in design/development, so he doesn't have a lot of real world experience yet, another reason for the assistance from his co-worker I'm guessing.

I gave the site a working title of FilmFan Fantasy Leagues. Shryke thought it would be prudent, and respectful, to involve you all in the naming process, which I wholeheartedly agree with. So, let the suggestions begin pouring in and we'll take a vote on which one we think is the best. To be fair, Shryke suggested we just call it Fantasy Moguls, possible trademark infringement be damned. I believe his exact words were, "we can just use it until someone tells us to stop". I never knew he was such a rebel. I like it.

I will continue to give you all progress reports. And, just to be clear, nothing is set in stone. I am, however, becoming more and more optimistic with each passing day. If you knew me well, that would surprise the hell out of you.

Thanks everyone, and I love this game!
Rick: Where do you get off having tits? - Clayton Rohner, Just One of the Guys

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: A New Site

Post by Shrykespeare »

Just in case anyone forgets this over time, the immediate responses to empire's post can be found on the "OFFICIAL 2014 FANTASY GAME THREAD" thread, pages 17 and 18.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

I stumbled upon this yesterday, looks like people are already playing our game on another site:

www.boxofficechamps.com
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

BrocksterDuex
Nick Naylor

Post by BrocksterDuex »

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Well, it's not precisely "our" game, just a simplified version of it.

They have only two games, as far as I can see: a twist on surfer's "Over/Under" game, and a Box Office Game. Thing is, they only have three four-month seasons in a year. No overlap. They don't use pricing schemes, and they don't have anything as complicated (or as awesome) as our Ultimate game. They don't have Bankrupts, they don't have Draft Leagues.

If we can get a site going that incorporates all of this variety, I think we can blow these guys out of the water. It looks like they've only been up for a year... it looks like about 180 people are playing the current season of Studio.)

I might actually give their "Studio Game" a try just for shits and giggles. I have created a league and will send you all invites to join before the day is out. The current season ends at the end of August, so you just have to pick the 15 films that will earn the most between now and then.

I will give them this... it's definitely user-friendly, and uncomplicated, something our site should strive to be. You agree, Spectre?

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Yeah their site is quite nice to navigate. They only have two games as you point out Shryke, but at least they have a good site to play with, definitely.
And I'm definitely with you to give their game a try and show them what we're made of ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

BrocksterDuex
Nick Naylor

Post by BrocksterDuex »

Why don't we try to merge with them? They have the site, we have the awesome(r) game...seems perfect.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I just joined the Reel Society group you created Shryke. Looks like we can still enter the May / August season, even though it's already begun and we have no chance of winning without Spidey, Godzilla, Neighbors, X-Men and Maleficent.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

True, but we can compete with each other.

I got a laugh out of the slate picked by the guy currently in first... he is only in first because he has all of his films out already. But he just happened to pick Brick Mansions, Walk of Shame, Moms' Night Out, Chef, Legends of Oz and Blended.

(huge peals of laughter)

Rookie.

Banks, JohnErle, UDM, I see you joined but didn't join the "Reel Society" league. Oh well, no biggie.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I remember a site from a few years back that had an over/under game and a summer box office game, where you pick the top 10 films. I wonder if this is the same people with updated site.

I joined the site, but i dont know how to join the league?

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I don't see how to join the league either.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

nevermind, figured it out

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Don't keep the secret to yourself, UDM!

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Their game is a simple variation of our top 20 games, with shorter seasons and smaller slates, but it looks quick, easy, and fun, and none of us have to do the math, so I'll give it a shot.

And I like how their top 5 game automatically calculates the % drop for your guesses and shows the last two weeks for holdovers all right there on the page. That makes it quick and easy.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I give up for now. I even created a second account with a yahoo email address and it still doesn't work. Maybe it's a browser compatibility issue, or maybe Shryke has to invite me? I'll try again tomorrow.