A New Site

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

empire13
Clark Griswald

Re: A New Site

Post by empire13 »

Bryan and his buddy/co-worker have the framework for the home page, the game page and the individual studio pages close to done. They also have the links set up, but they need the info (database choice) from us to link it all together. I'm not sure if any of you guys are familiar with the Iowa tradition of Ragbrai (Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa), but Bryan's buddy, who's been working with him on our site, lost his father during the event. There are several deaths every year during the week long ride across the state, but this year it hit close to home. So, they've taken a bit of a break, but that's okay, because we need to make some decisions ourselves about which hosting site (and through them which database software) we are going to use.

Anyway, aside from the bad news, there has been real progress and Bryan thinks it is reasonable to have our site beta tested in October for a January roll out. Just thought you would all like to know. Temper all expectations, but be optimistic!
Rick: Where do you get off having tits? - Clayton Rohner, Just One of the Guys

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Condolences to your friend, empire.

Regarding the site, that is EXCELLENT news! I for one wasn't expecting such positive results so quickly, but if we can get a working game up and running by January, that would be spectacular!

And as for the database choice, I'll leave that to people with more knowledge about such things (which, at last count, would be everybody, including my cat).
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Shrykespeare wrote:
And as for the database choice, I'll leave that to people with more knowledge about such things (which, at last count, would be everybody, including my cat).
Anyone willing to step in and help make these decisions, come forward at any time :)
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

As for the database choice, I'd say... One that does whatever we need it to (I'm not exactly sure what that is) and is cheap and easy to use.

Hope that helps.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I know nothing about databases, and if the webhost is to be US-based the only thing I can contribute is that I've heard a lot of bad things about GoDaddy, so something else would probably be better.

If your buddies have made that much progress on a new site already, that's fantastic, and it tells me that they probably know a lot more about web hosts and databases than any of us do, so I would trust them to make the right choice.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Fantastic news Empire, except about the grieving, condolences for your friend.
It's has moved quite fast indeed, it's terrific. AS for databases, I can't even visualize what we're talking about, so I'll let anyone who knows better give their opinions, I'll trust anyone here.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

empire13
Clark Griswald

Post by empire13 »

I'm having a sit down with my guys to get an eyes on look at where we're at very soon. I'll let you know where we stand. Might be moving a bit slower than I'd hoped, but will be able to concentrate on things more shortly.

bestfilm
Donnie Darko

Post by bestfilm »

Hi empire, I don't know at what point the development of the site is, but I would like to advance a request, asking also to Shryke and others if they would agree with it.
Provided that I don't know anything about programming sites, writing codes, etc; I find that would be very fun to leave some movies (two or three for every season, the ones expected to earn the most) with no price and put them to an auction, so that only few players can actually have them in their slates.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Anything to report? The fact that the Italian site no longer runs on Chrome is really cramping my style.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Empire, please give us some holiday cheer around here!

empire13
Clark Griswald

Post by empire13 »

I wish I could. We've been at a standstill for a while. My brother has taken the reins, but he's pretty busy. As for Bryan and company, I've been trying to push, but he has a new job and a new baby, so we're pretty far down on his list of priorities. He promised he would talk to the guy he works with, but right now I'm not holding my breath. I feel terrible about it. I was pretty gung-ho, only to have it blow up in my face. I haven't given up and I'm looking for secondary options, but I'm more than a bit disheartened. I WILL keep trying. I promise.

empire13
Clark Griswald

Post by empire13 »

As of 4/4/15 I have no updates on the progress of a new site. I have now taken matters into my own hands by signing up for 2 classes that will teach me how to create an interactive website and construct databases. They run from 5/13/2015-7/3/2015. So, with any luck I can construct a rudimentary site and operational database after completing these courses. Wish me luck!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Well that's a formidable project Empire, and we sure all love you for doing that !
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

You da man, Empire! I sure hope this works! Plus, I'm sure we'd all rather be paying our own member for their services than an outsider.