A New Site

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: A New Site

Post by Shrykespeare »

I had a conversation with Empire yesterday, and he said that he will be making inquiries with various hosting sites to try to find out which would not only serve our needs but be cost-effective as well. His biggest concern seemed to be finding the right venue that can accommodate our very specific needs.

It just occurred to me that the Italians probably could be a great source of information in that their site has the same basic nuts and bolts that Fantasy Moguls did. Our site may look a little different, but the same basic concepts apply. I just wonder if they would help us at all, given that the end result of us getting our own site would mean that we would no longer be using theirs.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

empire13
Clark Griswald

Post by empire13 »

I've been checking into the hosting sites and I have some information I will share. First of all, we will not be able to take advantage of the super cheap hosting deals. They are mainly for very simple websites with no bells and whistles. Since we will be using multiple databases, one for each game, that means we could have 30+ databases involved at any one time. This precludes us from any of the cheap deals offered. Instead, for our purposes, we are looking at about $50-$60 a month. This will allow us very large bandwidth and storage space, and more importantly, allow us to run/execute the higher number of databases we need to operate. This monthly cost can be reduced by %20, give or take, if we sign on for a longer period of time. This period of time is usually 2-5 years. However, and I'm probably stating the obvious here, if we are going to commit to anything long term we need to be sure the hosting site is the appropriate site for us, in the present, and for the foreseeable future.
Rick: Where do you get off having tits? - Clayton Rohner, Just One of the Guys

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Yeah that's certain. It's interesting to have an idea of the cost. Thanks for the intel Empire ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

BrocksterDuex
Nick Naylor

Post by BrocksterDuex »

Shryke, how many regulars do we have here? And by regulars, I mean people who are active on the boards, play most of the games, etc.? If we have a good 15 to 20 of us that would pitch in for that we're only looking at $3-5 per month each...which is not bad at all.

Secondly, do we have anyone tech savvy enough to manage the website? I have no fucking clue how to do that shit.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I'd say we have about 15 people who come here practically every day and about 10-15 others that drop in 1-3 times per week.

empire13
Clark Griswald

Post by empire13 »

I'll be conversing with my guys in the next couple of days. Hope to have an update for you. It's been 5 weeks since the Italian site has updated, so I will let Bryan and Scott know that we really need a site.

Also, congrats to Chien for his first place finish this weekend in the prediction game on Box Office Champs. Well done. I'm denied 1st place again. At least it was one of our guys. :D

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Speaking of which, got a message from Mario, who said that the site was having "difficulties", and that their "tech guys are working on it".

Mmmm-hmmm.

Pedal to the metal, empire.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Thanks for the update Empire !
And congrats to you for your 2nd place. I got the first place, but you're definitely the most consistent, well placed each week, I have no doubt that 1st place will be yours in no time.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Is it a bit weird that there are only about 50 people who play this awesome game? I hope the new site entices new players, the fantasy world is getting pretty big. Thanks for the updates empire :)
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

That is our hope.

I sent the folks at Box Office Champs a greeting, stating who I was, who we were, and what we hoped to do. Never heard back.

They also had an advert on their site for people to write a weekly column for them. Naturally, I sent them another message with a direct link to the "Speare's Tips" board. Again, never heard back.

All I can gather is that they're either swamped with messages or they're simply not interested.

BrocksterDuex
Nick Naylor

Post by BrocksterDuex »

They probably think we think we are better than them.

Which is true of course.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Of course.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Definitely

empire13
Clark Griswald

Post by empire13 »

Sorry it's taken me so long to give you guys an update. I just started my own cleaning business and it's been occupying most of my time. The news on the site is so-so. The guys haven't made as much progress as I had hoped. The home page is just about set up, but no work has been done on the additional pages (league page, studio(s) page, etc.). I let them know that we are pretty sure that the site we are currently using will not be viable for us much longer. The hope is that they can pick up the pace. We'll see. I wish I had more to tell you, but at this moment we're just plugging along. I will continue to keep you abreast of any developments. Cross your fingers, guys (and gals). We need this.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Fingers crossed !! And even the what seems like a small progress is already a progress for us, so it's great. Thanks Empire.
Fluctuat nec mergitur