100 Essential Films of the Fantaverse

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

W
Norman Bates

100 Essential Films of the Fantaverse

Post by W »

I thought of a summer project. The basic premise is someone has grown to adulthood without seeing a single movie ever. What 100 films would give them the greatest crash course in the history, theory, production, etc of film? I thought of this partially because I have gaps in movie knowledge that I would like to fill. I think it should go in two parts, first figuring out exactly what categories we'd like to check off with the list (Charlie Chaplin, changes in cinematography, sci-fi, etc) and secondly filling in films that will check off those boxes (and others we may not have thought of) until we get to 100 essential (not necessarily best or favorite) films.

For the first part I thought we'd have someone throw out ONE idea and if it has two other backers (seconded, thirded) it is included. Each person has only one of their categories going at a time and can second/third as many as they want. The first part is only about figuring what we'd like to base our list around. I'm not sure yet the specifics of adding the actual films to the list (basic majority, probably) but I'll deal with that after we figure out what categories we'd like to include. Now I'm going to go watch Million Ways and see what happens when I get back.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: 100 Essential Films of the Fantaverse

Post by Buscemi »

My idea: the evolution of acting. Though it has already been covered in a few films (The Artist is a good recent example), I think that things can be taken one step beyond.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Stanley Kubricks adaptation of anything
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

I think "The History of Film" "The Art of Filmmaking" and "Essential Cinema" are pretty distinct from each other.

To keep things fun, I'd say go easy on the technical and/or academic approaches.

"Essential" should be considered movies that are simply part of the pop-culture lexicon and everybody is expected to have seen them.

No matter your opinion of the original Star Wars trilogy, it is so ingrained in our society that you are inevitably misunderstanding everyday communication.

Take that logic to come up with 97 other titles, put the list in chronological order and--whammy--you got yourself "Essential Films: An Historical Perspective"
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.