MOST ANTICIPATED FILMS OF 2014 (MAY-AUG)

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

MOST ANTICIPATED FILMS OF 2014 (MAY-AUG)

Post by numbersix »

Following on from the first third of the year, we're now into what some consider the most exciting time in the year. Blockbuster Season has already stumbled with The Amazing Spiderman 2 disappointing, but what else is there to look forward to? Here's my list

Maybes: The Trip to Italy, Begin Again, Get on Up, A Million Ways to Die in the West

10: Godzilla
I've been sucked into the hype on this one, so will have to check it out.

9: X-Men 5
The last film won me back a little, so I'm curious to see how this film works.

8: Obvious Child
A Sundance favourite that I may actually enjoy!

7: Magic in the Moonlight
There's a large spectrum of quality when it comes to Woody Allen movies, so here's hoping it's more Blue Jasmine than Scoop.

6: I, Origins
I like the idea, it certainly seems unique. And Brit Marling is a good actress.

5: Sin City 2
This better live up to the expectations that the first established.

4: Night Moves

I've liked the director's previous two films, and this looks like a more intelligent examination of terrorism than The East.

3: Boyhood
A fascinating experiment (a film shot over 12 years) that has got damn fine acclaim.

2: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Loved the first film, a perfect example of how to make a blockbuster that's exciting and moving, and the new trailer makes this sequel look promising.

1: The Rover
I loved the intensity of the trailer and enjoyed Animal Kingdom. This could be something special.

Films I've already seen and recommend: Calvary, Borgman, We Are the Best, The Congress, Frank

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: MOST ANTICIPATED FILMS OF 2014 (MAY-AUG)

Post by Buscemi »

Godzilla (5/16)
The Immigrant (5/16)
Cold in July (5/23)
A Million Ways to Die in the West (5/30)
Willow Creek (6/6)
Life Itself (7/4)
Boyhood (7/11)
Mood Indigo (7/18)
Hercules (7/25)
Calvary (8/1)
Into the Storm (8/8)
The Trip to Italy (8/15)
Underdogs (8/27) (let's hope Weinstein doesn't fuck it up)
The Congress (8/29)
Life of Crime (8/29)
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

10.Million Dollar Arm (5/16)
9.Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (7/11)
8.Jupiter Ascending (7/18)
7.Guardians of the Galaxy (8/1)
6.Godzilla (5/16)
5.A Million Days to Die in the West (5/30)
4.22 Jump Street (6/13)
3.The Expendables 3 (8/15)
2.X-Men: Days of Future Past (5/23)
1.Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (8/22)

Also Interested In:
Edge of Tomorrow (6/6)
The Rover (6/13)
The Signal (6/13)
Snowpiercer (6/27)
They Came Together (6/27)
Transformers: Age of Extinction (6/27)
Tammy (7/2)
The Purge: Anarchy (7/18)
Happy Christmas (7/25)
Hercules (7/25)
Magic in the Moonlight (7/25)
Sex Tape (7/25)
Get on Up (8/1)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (8/8)
Lucy (8/8)
The Giver (8/15)
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Here's ten I'm interested in this summer, in approximate order:

Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes
Godzilla
Maleficent
X-Men: Days Of Future Past
Deliver Us From Evil
A Trip To Italy
A Most Wanted Man
Jupiter Ascending
Night Moves
Life Itself

Maybes:
22 Jump St.
Hercules
Guardians Of The Galaxy
Venus In Furs
Boyhood
The Rover
The Congress
As Above, So Below

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

1. Guardians of the Galaxy
2. Apes 2
3. Days of Future Past
4.Godzilla

If these aren't my top four of the summer, in some order, I'll be extremely surprised.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

My list:

10. Hercules - Big, loud, dumb-looking. Perfect escapist fare.

9. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - I don't know what about this film draws me in, but the sequel looks even better than the first one.

8. Maleficent - The wife's gotten me hooked on fairy-tale movies. I do like those with darker edges to them, and this one looks better than Snow White and the Huntsman.

7. Transformers: Age of Extinction - This franchise wore out its welcome with the last one, but now that they've replaced the entire cast, I'm interested again.

6. Edge of Tomorrow - Sci-fi? I'm there. Tom Cruise? I'm there. Time travel? So there.

5. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - I've already seen it, but the first one was good enough so that I had no doubts that I wanted to see this one going in.

4. Godzilla - Having been sucked in by the trailer and the hype, there's no way I'm missing this. There are others that I want to see more, but not that many.

3. X-Men: Days of Future Past - I've never been as high on the X-Men series as I am on Spider-Man, but that may start to change. I'm most interested to see how much room for future movies there is beyond this one, whether they'll keep it in one franchise or branch out in several directions again.

2. Guardians of the Galaxy - Everything about the trailer just struck a chord with me... its an underdog story, a superhero story, and it looks like it doesn't take itself overly seriously. Plus: Bradley Cooper as a talking raccoon! Yeah, baby!

1. How to Train Your Dragon 2 - The first one was and is my all-time favorite animated film. How could this possibly NOT be #1??

Also interested in:

Million Dollar Arm
A Million Ways to Die in the West
22 Jump Street
Deliver Us From Evil
Earth to Echo
The Fluffy Movie
Jupiter Ascending
Planes: Fire and Rescue
Sex Tape
Get On Up
Lucy
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
The Expendables
The Giver
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For
The November Man (maybe)
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

This summers looks good - but don't they all, at the start?

10. Hercules - I like The Rock and I'll watch him in anything. Including a movie where he just fights several different types of giant animals.

9. Transformers - I do really like the addition of Wahlberg, but past that - I'm not sure. Dinobots aren't setting my panties on fire...

8. Lucy - I'm an admitted ScarJo obsessive. Can't pass this up - hell, I even went to see Don Jon by myself opening weekend!

7. A Million Days To Die In The West - I hope the marketing isn't doing its job, and there's some good stuff hidden in there.

6. Let's Be Cops - I love New Girl, and this is basically New Girl for 2 hours and an R rating. Fingers crossed for a Jessica Day cameo.

5. 22 Jump Street - "STOP FUCKING WITH KOREAN JESUS. HE GOT KOREAN SHIT TO DEAL WITH."

4. X-Men - Days of Future Past - I don't like how much it's centered around Wolverine, but First Class was filled with such quality. I can't wait to see those guys again, plus a little bit of the originals never hurt.

3. Godzilla - Dat seriousness. Plus Walter White. Like Cloverfield, but you know....good.

2. Guardians of The Galaxy - Like everyone else, I had no idea who these guys were. But what a fantastic first trailer - and I love me some Chris Pratt. So glad to see he's getting a shot at movie superstardom with this and Jurassic World.

1. Dawn of The Planet of The Apes - Yup, that trailer combined with how great the first was...Most Anticipated!

Movies I'll See But Not Dying To See Em:

The Fault In Our Stars
Maleficent
Think Like A Man 2
Edge of Tomorrow
Tammy
TMNT
Get On Up
Sin City 2
Sex Tape

Movies I'll See Just To Say I Saw That Trainwreck In Theaters:

Jupiter Ascending

Movies I May Give A Chance On Vudu/HBO/Showtime:

How To Train Your Dragon 2
The Hundred Foot Journey
Million Dollar Arm
The Purge: Anarchy
Blended
If I Stay
The Expendables 3
Jersey Boys

Movies These Eyes Will Never See For The Life of Them:

Step Up All In
As Above, So Below
Planes: Fire And Rescue
Into The Storm
The Giver
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Ok, here's my Top 10 most anticipated films of the summer :

10. A most wanted man : Corbijn's Control and The American really seduced me, so i'm very curiopus to see what he got out of a Le Carré novel. And since this will be one of the very last opportunities to see PSH on the big screen...

9. Edge of tomorrow : I'm a sucker for time-travelling films and/or Groundhog Day type of films.

8. The Double : Submarine was such a gem of a little film for me, I can't wait to see Ayoade's second film. And with the great Jesse Eisenberg all the more.

7. 22 Jump Street : The first one was such a blast, it was the funiest film of two years ago.

6. Jupiter Ascending : I know I'm one of the only ones here, but Cloud Atlas was such a messy cinematographic magic trick, it screamed CINEMA like very few Hollywood films have done recently. So I'm hoping this one could do the same.

5. Dawn of the planet of the Apes : The previous one was a remarkable surprise, and shouted "sequel". That latest trailer we got sold me entirely.

4. The Rover : Anything playing at Cannes has me curious, and Animal Kingdom was a solid film. That western/post-apocalyptic set is right up my alley.

3. Guardians of the Galaxy : I'm not the biggest superhero fan, and I had never even heard of those superheroes, but that trailer was so much fun, with a great space-opera vibe. Entertainment-wise, this could be one of the most satisfying films of the summer.

2. Godzilla : Since the very first teaser we've seen, this has been one of my most anticipated films of 2014. If this delivers what the trailers have been promising, this is gonna be awesome.

1. Boyhood : I've been waiting for this film for the passed 12 years. Literally.

Honorable mentions :
The Trip to Italy
Neighbors
Cold in July
X-Men days of the Future past
I Origins
Jersey Boys
Magic in the moonlight

I've seen them already, I recommend them :
Snowpiercer
Borgman
Chinese Puzzle
Night Moves
The Immigrant
Venus in Fur
The Congress
Mood Indigo
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Ill chip in:

10 - Jupiter Ascending AND Snowpiercer
I secretly liked Cloud Atlas, and recently watched bound, their debut. But also recently one of my friends suggested everything they have done is plagiarised, i would like to see his reaction to this movie. And im very keen to see Snowpiercer purely on the plotline, sounds very interesting
9 - Edge of Tomorrow
While Oblivion was a bit of a downer (especially after i stocked every slate with it) i got so caught up in the trailer that i have not done the same mistake here....i still havent seen the trailer. In fact i havent seen the trailer for almost every movie here, if you can believe that!
8 - The Expendables 3
Im a big 80s/90s action fan in case you dont know , and while the script and some storyline takes a back seat for explosions and silly one liners, im hopeful they can improve on the last one
7 - 22 Jump Street
21 was such a surprise to me that i didnt dislike both Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill afterwards. It has some genuinely funny moments, and i missed the first in cinemas so ill pay up and watch this one in the cinema
6 - Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Like some of you said, the first one was a perfect blockuster, i agree, even if i did watch it in some shitty Paris cinema where you can hear the train run over the building. And Andy Serkis.
5 - The Rover
I enjoyed Animal Kingdom, it was nice to see a good Aussie movie with so much talent. Cant wait to see this frankly
4 -Guardians of the Galaxy
Sounds awesome, with a terrific cast, lets hope James Gunn can bring an Iron Man like vibe to this and make it a success
3- X-Men Days of Future Past
Very nearly my number 1 most anticipated
2- A Million Ways to Die in the West
Was a huge fan of Family Guy and American Dad, and enjoyed Ted very much. Liam Nesson and Charlize Theron in a western comedy? Im all for it.
1- Sin City 2
Sin City was in my top 10 of all time, and im already lowering my expectations....

Heres a bit of a running total,

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (8)
Godzilla (8)
X-Men 5 (6)
Guardians of the Galaxy (6)
22 Jump Street (4)
Sin City 2 (3)
Edge of Tomorrow (3)
Jupiter Ascending (3)

Hercules (3)
A Million Ways to Die in the West (3)
The Rover (3)
Boyhood (3)
Transformers (2)
Maleficent (2)
Jupiter Ascending (2)
Trip to Italy (2)
A Most Wanted Man (2)
The Immigrant
Cold in July
Willow Creek
Life Itself
Mood Indigo
The Double
Cavalry
Into the Storm
Million Dollar Arm
Deliver Us From Evil
Lucy
Lets Be Cops
Night Moves
I, Origins
Magic in the Moonlight
Snowpiercer
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Ron Burgundy wrote:6 - Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Like some of you said, the first one was a perfect blockuster, i agree, even if i did watch it in some shitty Paris cinema where you can hear the train run over the building.
Well Ron, you'll be sad (or happy ?) to know that the UGC Orient Express, one of the most (in)famous theater in Paris has definitely closed its doors last January, after offering thousands of film showings with characteristic sound of subway riding under it (I even remember a showing when a mouse was running on the ground, causing me and everyone in the cinema to spend the rest of the showing with our feet under our bottoms so it didn't run up our legs).
It made me sad cause as shitty as the Orient Express was, it was a theater that ran the films that weren't playing anywhere else in Paris anymore, or films that only played there, that's where I saw the first Anchorman, it was the only theater to show it in Paris.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

And i believe it was the only English version of RiseOtPotA showing in the whole city at the time, so im grateful for that. Very sad that its closed, maybe i can open a business in Paris, exclusively showing those films not shown anywhere else :D
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

It was, because the film had already been released for over 2 months if I remember correctly when you were here.
And maybe you can open such a theater in Paris. The French distrib has decided to not release Anchorman 2 in theater here, it'll go straight to DVD. But the Orient Express couldn't have changed that, it's a distrib decision.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Decrepit theatres with mice, subway noises, and the lingering smoke of a thousand Gauloises is how I always pictured Paris movie theatres, so I was disappointed to Google Paris cinemas just now and find that you have massive multiplexes with 27 screens that look like they could be found in any Canadian city. The selection of films is a little different, but the multiplexes themselves look the same. And here in Vancouver the cinemas max out at 10-12 screens, and you have to go to the suburbs to find ones with 19-20 screens.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Well as it turns out John, the 27 screens multiplex you mention is located in the same underground mall as the Orient Express that was closed and had mice and subway noises... and probably gauloises smoke yes. Up until last february, it had 19 screens and was, in terms of admissions, the biggest theater in Europe. It still is, but it took the opportunity of the closure of the Orient Express, which had the same owner, to enlarge to 27 screens. I'm pretty sure they wanna become the biggest film theater in the world, which I had heard was in Seoul (so I took a visit there last week !).
The good thing about the UGC Ciné Cité Les Halles, this huge 27 screens theater at the heart of Paris, is the programming, because as you noticed, diversity is obvious there. It's as much arthouse as it is entertainment. I like it for the programming, but since the cinemas are rather small (most screens have a 100 seats capacity for it, not much more, there are only 7 screens there that have more than 200 seats for them), they are always crowded, so when I can see a film somewhere else, I go somewhere else.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

It might be interesting to have a thread dedicated to photos of our favourite movie theatres, although I suspect most of them would wind up looking essentially the same.