MOST ANTICIPATED FILMS OF 2014 (MAY-AUG)

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Re: MOST ANTICIPATED FILMS OF 2014 (MAY-AUG)

Post by silversurfer19 »

Yeah, I've been to a few Cineworld's a quite most of them are holes filled with assholes, but this one seems to be empty most of the time so I strike it lucky with an empty auditorium, no litter and good seats. Obviously not perfect, but for the price I pay, plus 25% off all food and drink, I can't really complain. I get my luxuries at the other two locations.

Best cinemas I've visited though have to be the now closed Red Vic Cinema in San Francisco, which I was lucky enough to visit when a screening of the San Fran based Vertigo was being played. The seats were terrible, but there was a real quirkiness to the whole place that I loved. There was also a cinema called The Castro in the area too which was a very nice art house cinema.

Red Vic, San Francisco

The Castro, San Francisco

While in Orlando I also visited a cinema called the Enzian which served food at a table while you watched a classic movie. We watched Cat On A Hot Tin Roof in absolute luxury, really enjoy that experience when you want it. Very nice little cinema too.

The Enzian, Orlando, Florida

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I think I read about the Enzian in a back issue of Box Office online. Didn't know it was still open (the issue was from the mid 1980's).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

AMC has one location in the greater Phoenix area (and a few dozen others around the country) where along with the movie, you can get served appetizers, desserts or a full entrée. There's even an option for the over-21's that includes cocktails. I keep meaning to try it out with the wife, but when the perfect situation arises, I completely forget about it. Has anyone tried this or something like it?
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I'm not a fan of the booze-and-movie idea, it just seems like a way to make the loud, obnoxious jerks even louder and more obnoxious.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I haven't had any patron problems with the Kansas City-area AMC's that do this. Of course, I usually went to morning and afternoon shows when I'm there.

As for the dining thing, I usually stick to the popcorn (I can totally make a lunch out of nothing but popcorn).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I'll probably post my own theater list tomorrow, if you guys want I'll create a new thread, it can be a nice regular thread for all the theater we visit.

I've never been to a theater that serves you diner while you eat, and I think I couldn't stand it, probably. I'm too much of a maniac in a cinema to not be disturbed by someone eating, all the smells and noises. ANd I wonder how you eat in the dark, if they put some kind of light so you can eat more easily, that kills it for me.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Here's a little image of the Enzian (obviously pre-show) I visited so you can get the idea of it's layout and how the configuration worked. There were different levels with different arrangements, allowing the audience to choose their type of seating depending on what they wanted to experience. Say, you just wanted to eat popcorn, there were very nice sofas near the front, while full dining settings were laid out further back. Most of the food was served prior to the film showing during the trailers, but during the movie there was a small lamp so that you could see your food.

Of course, I would never want to have this experience on a brand new movie. On those occassions I want to enjoy the pleasures of the movie alone. This is much more of a casual thing, much in the way I guess most of you have had a beer or eaten some food whilst watching a movie at home. It's perfect for a nice night out while watching a film you have seen many times before. It doesn't matter if you miss a moment, you've seen it before and this is all about the experience. It's also a much more communal event as opposed to the isolation of a regular cinema, even if you go with friends. Having the setting face each other, you get to chat before and after the movie in a very nice environment.

Right, Enzian, pay up, I've done all the advertising I'm willing to do!

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

That's very different from the dine-in theaters here, at least the AMC ones. Plus that screen looks tiny!

The dine-in's are very similar to regular theater seats, they just have a tray in front of you that can slide away. They have a little light next to the headrest so a waiter knows you need something during the film. This is only AMC though, I know other theaters have much more comfortable settings.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Neither makes me crave to test them...
Fluctuat nec mergitur