MOST ANTICIPATED FILMS OF 2014 (MAY-AUG)

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Re: MOST ANTICIPATED FILMS OF 2014 (MAY-AUG)

Post by Ron Burgundy »

And for the record, yes i was boosh, yes i was
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

numbersix wrote:A Are there no good arthouse only cinemas in Vancouver?
The Vancity Theatre I mentioned above is purely arthouse, but a little too much so for my tastes which is why I only gave it a brief mention at the end. I haven't been there since I saw Bereberian Sound Studio last summer, but if my work schedule permitted it I'd probably go more often.

The Pacific Cinematheque is also very arthouse, but it's basically a shoebox so I only went there a few times when I first moved here and never went back. They do schedule some interesting films though, and you can follow the links to see a typical schedule at both theatres.

There's also the Fifth Avenue which was built by a local entrepreneur as a sort of prestige mulitplex. It's now owned by Cineplex, but they do a good job of keeping up with original spirit of the place. I don't know if you'd consider it arthouse, but that's where I saw Inside Llewyn Davis and Nebraska, and it's where I saw Memento when nobody knew who Christopher Nolan was. The problem is that only one or two of the auditoriums are big enough and the others all have really high screens in tiny rooms, so I avoid the Fifth Avenue unless I'm pretty sure the movie I want to see is in one of the big rooms. If they would convert a couple of the smaller rooms into bigger auditoriums it would be perfect.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Just looked at the Vancity website. You can browse the films playing by genre, and one of the genres is "disabilities". Now that's arthouse.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

But no films pop up when you choose "Disabilities" so how arthouse is it, really?

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

You just wait until their quarterly Disabilities season is uploaded, then you'll see.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I hope the theater at least has a ramp... :lol:
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Vancouver recently banned round doorknobs in new buildings because people with arthritis have trouble opening them, so pretty soon they'll ban stairs and everything will have a ramp.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Vancouver cinephiles are really weird.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I think the people who program those two cinemas are probably weirder than Vancouver cinephiles, which might explain why there were maybe ten people in the room the last time I went to the Vancity.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I'm preparing a bunch of photos of my favourite Paris cinemas i'll post them later on...
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Guys, let's prepare for the site to go down from Chien's photos of his Top 100 Paris cineams

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Perhaps we should create a new thread for this after all....
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

numbersix wrote:Guys, let's prepare for the site to go down from Chien's photos of his Top 100 Paris cineams
:lol:

(And you're probably right, i was starting compiling photos, but there's just too much theaters I like going to, I'm gonna have to cut down a bit...)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Oooh, our local cinemas? Well, my favourite local cinema is Picturehouse's The Fact, an art house cinema experience if there ever was one with one floor dedicated to movies, the other two art exhibits and installations. Very cool place to hang out and perfect for a hipster like myself... It has just the four screens, two fairly large and one small one for which is mainly shows very small movies and the Discovery Tuesday theme - where the organisers show a movie that is either an ultra cult movie, or one that has skipped the limited release format (like Upstream Colour last year). A special bonus is a room they call The Box, which instead of the usual seats features twin sofas, and a maximum of 18 people can watch a movie in there at a time. Very nice and cosy.

The Fact, Liverpool

Other than that I frequent another cinema that has a mix of art house and nationwide releases called The Light, and it's nicely situated right on the front of New Brighton promenade. We use that mostly for the baby friendly screenings which allow us both to watch a movie with Harper. Not just animations mind, most blockbusters too (it has played movies such as Much Ado About Nothing, Mandela, Iron Man 3, Man Of Steel and Star Trek 2 recently).

The Light, New Brighton

However, while not quite as cool, the cinema I visit most is the multiplex Cineworld. I have an annual pass for there which basically allows me to see as many movies as I want for a set price of £16 per month. While it generally doesn't get the indie movies quite so often, it does play all the big movies, so while I've seen about 30 movies so far this year in that cinema, with Summer kicking into gear my visits will shoot up in the next couple of months. Godzilla up next!

Cineworld, Runcorn

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Fuck Cineworld. I stopped going to the one here because of the prices, awful toilets, and prevalance of assholes. I did deprive myself of self-made 2-for-1 deals on Sunday afternoons as I left one film and snuck into another.

Those other two cinemas look cool, though. We really do need to create a new thread!