Cannes Film Festival 2014

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Re: Cannes Film Festival 2014

Post by Chienfantome »

I was just taking a look at the announcement of the Director's Fortnight.

In the Critic's Week, most are first films, the only one I've seen the previous film because it's a second feature is Djinn Carrénard, who's opening the section with "Faire l'amour" (translation : Making Love). his first film was full of vitality and quite unexpected, so I'll be curious to watch his second effort.
I know David Robert mitchell by name because he director a film that was already at the Critic's Week a few years back, The Myth of the American Sleepover, which I hadn't seen but had good reputation.

In the Director's Fortnight, there is much to look for.
The opening films, "Bande de Filles", is from a very good woman filmmaker, of which I really liked her first two features.
Fabrice du Welz makes weird films, so if you're into intense and weird films, look out for Alleluia, although I know nothing about this one.
The new animated film by Takahata, which has got to be the greatest Japanese animation director alongside Miyazaki, is quite an event.
The Korean film, A Hard Day, I don't know much about, but i'll be sure to check it out.
Frederick Wiseman has directed one of my favourite films of the last few months, the documentary "At Berkeley", which is one of the boldest and most fascinating pieces of cinema of late, so I'd keep an eye on his film too.
Whiplash is the film that won at Sundance this year, with JK Simmons and Miles Teller, it looked good.
The films by Ronit and Schlomi Elkabetz are quite beloved by french critics, but I have yet to see one.
Cold in July looks like it could be a nice little B movie in the Noir genre.
And, well, Boorman is Boorman, and the theme, about a british soldier fighting in Korean war, interests me.

I'm not familiar with the rest.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

By the way, are you going to Cannes this year, Six ?
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Chienfantome wrote:By the way, are you going to Cannes this year, Six ?
I am. What about you?

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I should have gone, actually. One of my programmers and the director of the Paris Korean Film Festival are going, and I could, should have been with them, but I'm coming back from Korea on May 10th, and I won't have time to go down to Cannes. I'm so excited to go to korea, and at the same time i'm disappointed I can't go to Cannes. So instead I got an accreditation for the Jeonju Film Festival in Korea, it won't be Cannes, but it'll be fun to do a film festival in Korea.
And there's no way I don't go to Cannes in 2015 !
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

That's a shame. Still, I'll be watching film and paying ridiculous prices for food and drink on your behalf!

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

;)

How long will you be staying this year ?
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Just booked my flights. I'm there from the first Friday to the Tuesday. A day longer than I usually do so hoping to catch a few more movies. And hopefully they won't be as awful as Jimmy P ;)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Well you don't follow my advice, so what do you expect ? A couple of years ago, I told you to go see "Granny's Funeral", which is one of the best French films from the passed 3 years, and you didn't go. You sir prefer to go see films from Arnaud Desplechin. Now don't tell me you do as your agenda allows you to, I won't believe you, I know you have plenty of time for booze and coke.
;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I actually wanted to see it (still do, but it hasn't come over here yet), but ended up seeing Shield of Straw by Takashi Miike. Probably a mistake but considering my hangover it was a fun watch.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Mickle's a bit overrated. His first one (Mulberry Street) was an interesting variation on the zombie genre but his next two were big disappointments (Stake Land tried too hard for cult status while We Are What We Are was a completely unnecessary remake of the 2010 film).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

First reviews are out for Cannes.

So far Grace of Monaco is awful, Timbuktu is good, and Mr Turner is amazing.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Grace of Monaco currently has a 5% on Rotten Tomatoes (1/19 positive). It's looking like another Diana.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I read it's even worse than Diana. But Timbuktu and Mr Turner had very solid reviews yeah.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Damn Chien, that's beyond the impossible for Grace of Monaco.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

First pictures of Blake Lively are out from Cannes too :shock: :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :ugeek: