Cannes Film Festival 2014

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Re: Cannes Film Festival 2014

Post by Chienfantome »

numbersix wrote:So far Grace of Monaco is awful, Timbuktu is good, and Mr Turner is amazing.
And the french reviews go this way : Grace of monaco is awful, Mr Turner is good, and Timbuktu is amazing.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

2014 seems to be a good vintage for Cannes. Every couple of days, another film becomes the new favourite for the Palme d'Or. And the latest just arrived with a bang. Everyone on my Twitter timeline is raving about Xavier Dolan's Mommy and calling for the Palme. The first couple of reviews I read are enthusiastic. I'll read the papers tomorrow morning, but it seems Dolan just made an enormous impression.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Yep, the four contenders are Mr Turner, Winter Sleep, Two Days One Night, and Mommy. I'm hoping that the Dardennes don't win yet again, although it has been the strongest reviewed of the bunch.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Well since I'm no fan of the Dardennes, I'm like you and cross my fingers they won't win it once more and enter history as the first to win 3 Palmes d'Or.
Mr Turner has no chance. Maybe Spall can win Best Actor though. One that is a contender too is Naomi Kawase's Still the Water. It got some bad reviews, but the good reviews were glowing. It has a shot.
If I had to put some money on it, I'd say, as of today, the winner will either be Two days one night, Mommy or Still the Water.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Oops, I just forgot about Timbuktu. That one is a strooooong contender.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

We're definitely reading different trades! Don't think Timbuktu has much of a chance, it fell too much into the "good, not great" category. Still the Water does have a chance, though, as Campion has be speaking out a lot about the lack of female directors in Cannes.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Well to tell you the truth I mostly base my opinions on French word of mouth and reviews. That's probably a bit chauvinistic I admit, but I noticed over the years that French WOM and reviews are more reliable to predict the palmarès than international ones. And French word of mouth and reviews has been stellar for Timbuktu, so I'm pretty sure it will get a major prize saturday night, and the palme is a clear possibility.
Still the Water is indeed a contender because I think Kawase's cinema can strongly resonate with Campion. I thought of that last year with Like Father like Son with Spielberg, but it only won the Jury prize, so maybe I'm wrong, but again, I'm pretty sure it's gonna win a prize even if not the Palme.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Looks like there's a new contender for the Palme. Leviathan is getting great reviews, and Zvyagintsev is very much loved (Elena won the Jury Prize in the Un Certain Regard strand)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Yeah the echoes are very solid, and I'm not surprised since it's a really interesting director who's made good films. I was surprised to hear it's very funny though.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Yeah, plus the supposed criticisms of Russia are very timely. I'm going to say it's either this or Mommy that wins.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

They are (just as is timely the subject of "Timbuktu", mind you ;) ).

I think right now the favourite is Mommy. Leviathan is nicely placed too. I'd say Two days one night and Timbuktu have their shot too, with Still the Water a wild card.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

And in advance of the In Competition awards...

In Director's Fortnight Les Combattants won a bunch of prizes. (Speaking of that, I really need to see Les Garçons Et Guillaume, A Table! It was in FNAC in Cannes for 20 Euro but I figure it'll hit cinemas here eventually)

The Un Certain Regard top prize went to Hungarian film White God, while the jury prize went to Swedish flick Turist. Party Girl won the Ensemble Prize and David Gulpilil was named Best Actor for Charlie’s Country.

And in Critics' Week Ukrainian flick The Tribe (which I hear is great) won a pile of awards. Hope won Best Screenplay.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Cannes Winners

Palme d’Or : Winter Sleep

Grand Prize: Le Meraviglie (The Wonders)

Best Director: Bennett Miller, Foxcatcher

Jury Prize : Mommy/Goodbye To Language

Best Screenplay: Leviathan

Best Actress: Julianne Moore, Maps To The Stars

Best Actor: Timothy Spall, Mr Turner

Camera d’Or: Party Girl

Hah, Chien, told you Winter Sleep had a chance of winning. Guess I'm more French than you, now.

Also, I met up with the producer of The Wonders and am hoping to work with him on a few projects. Very happy his film got an award.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I was really surprised the Dardennes didn't win anything, although I'l quite happy with that.
I've seen Maps to the Stars this weekend, better than Cronenberg's previous Cosmopolis, and an interesting take on Hollywood's, hum, degeneration... but I'm not a big fan. Moore is good, but I wouldnt have gone as far as giving her a Best actress prize.
I think the biggest surprise of the palmares is the Grand Prix for the Italian film, I didn't see that one coming.
And now I'm gonna have to go see that 3 hours and 16 minutes long turkish contemplative drama...
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Otherwise, "Timbuktu" won the Prize of the Ecumenical Jury and the Prix François Chalais.
The Queer Palm went to british film "Pride".
French film "Les Combattants" (Love at first sight) won all the three prizes at the Director's Fortnight.
Ukrainian film "The Tribe" won the Critic's Week Prize.
And lastly the Hungarian film "White God" won the Un Certain Regard Prize.
Fluctuat nec mergitur