Was It Worth It - The Films of January

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Was It Worth It - The Films of January

Post by Shrykespeare »

It was a typical January.... one or two beautiful flowers among a vast field of manure.

NG

Cheap PTA picks that failed to net a single point:

Gimme Shelter ($3U) - 6.5 UR. Can't believe I picked this over Gloria on a couple of slates.

F

Labor Day ($8U, $5BO) - 0 T5, 0 PTA, 6.8 UR, $12M. Quite a few people took this. And instantly regretted it.

D-

I, Frankenstein ($11U, $11BO) - 0 T5, 2 PTA (Jan only), 5.4 UR, $19M. Epic fail.

Devil's Due ($10U, $9BO) - 0 T5, 1 PTA (Jan only), 3.9 UR, $16M. Doomed from the word go.

D

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit ($21U, $21BO) - 3 T5, 1 PTA (Nov/Dec) 3 PTA (Jan), 6.5 UR, $50M. Any other month, this might have done better. But then again, probably not.

D+

The Legend of Hercules ($10U, $9BO) - 3 T5, 1 PTA (Nov/Dec), 5 PTA (Jan), 4.3 UR, $18M. Three swords-and-sandals films in three months. This proves that being the first one out doesn't always help.

C-

That Awkward Moment ($10U, $10BO) - 3 T5, 2 PTA, 6.1 UR, $24M. Rom-coms with no true stars will almost never succeed. Neither did this.

C+

Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones ($14U, $14BO) - 4 T5, 0 PTA (Nov/Dec), 8 PTA (Jan), 5.1 UR, $32M. Given that this film was pretty much guaranteed eight PTA points, this still turned out to be a crappy pick.

B+

The Nut Job ($11U, $12BO) - 7 T5, 4 PTA (Nov/Dec), 7 PTA (Jan), 5.7 UR, $61M. Surprisingly held its own for a second-tier kids movie.

A-

Like Father, Like Son ($3U) - 6 PTA (Nov/Dec), 7 PTA (Jan), 7.9 UR. A worthy pick.

A

The Best Offer ($3U) - 0 PTA (Nov/Dec), 8 PTA (Jan), 7.9 UR. A fantastic pick (unless you picked in any league but December). This was a
can't-miss pick in January, and if you didn't see that coming, shame on you.

Tim's Vermeer ($3U) - 10 PTA, 7.7 UR. Kudos to Penn & Teller. The first breakout documentary of the year.

And the best picks of January:

A+

Gloria ($3U) - 11 PTA, 7.0 UR. Gotta love a $3 pick that just keeps on racking up points.

Ride Along ($13U, $11BO) - 18 T5, 13 PTA, 6.4 UR, $127M. Kevin Hart is money right now. Plus, being the first worthy "black" movie in months helped a lot (especially after Black Nativity and Madea's Xmas failed to impress).

Here's how my box office predictions fared this month:

HITS
Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - Predicted $20/$55, Actual $17/$50
Devil's Due - Predicted $7/$19, Actual $8/$16
Labor Day - Predicted $6/$14, Actual $5/$12

NEAR MISSES
Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones - Predicted $13/$24, Actual $18/$32
The Legend of Hercules - Predicted $6/$13, Actual $9/$18
That Awkward Moment - Predicted $12/$31, Actual $9/$24

EGREGIOUS MISSES
Ride Along - Predicted $31/$75, Actual $42/$127
The Nut Job - Predicted $10/$27, Actual $19/$61
I, Frankenstein - Predicted $20/$43, Actual $9/$19

Hmmm..... 3-3-3. I'll take it.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Re: Was It Worth It - The Films of January

Post by Ron Burgundy »

I had a fairly bad January and relied on other sources to get me by, I didnt think Ride Along would be such a hit (though i plucked it at the last minute), and i didnt pick gloria on a single slate after dropping it from one or two. I Frankenstein, just horrible results, i thought the guy who was in The Dark Knight and Thank You For Smoking is better than this. The Devils Due was nothing compared to Mama, should have known. And well i think maybe Tims Vermeer should have been a $5 pick, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Happy with my Jan picks, as I mostly relied on the As and Bs of your list. Thought I Frankenstein would do better and make a few T5 points, but think I only put it on one slate.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Ride along is on every single slate of mine, but i'm sure i'm not the only one.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

BO ROI for January, a month full of movies that looked like crap and performed accordingly:

Ride Along was the first must-have BO pick of the year, and The Nut Job was an adequate performer, especially considering the competition in January. Everything else in January should have been avoided at all costs. If you built your entire Bankrupts slate around January films, you have a pretty good chance of winning.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I feel like there's a common theme in your title parodies John... I know I'm gonna find what it is...
Fluctuat nec mergitur

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I was trying to work out what he had done with Labour Day's title, and then I got it. He spelled it the correct way and not the American way. Thank the world for Canadians!

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I originally had it as "Labouring On The Toilet All Day" but that seemed a bit much, even for me.