Oscars 2014

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

undeadmonkey
Leon

Oscars 2014

Post by undeadmonkey »

guess i'll have to watch 12 years a slave. i had no interest, think it looks boring, but i might give it a chance. have any of you seen it, what do yall think?

personally, from the films i have seen, I would have gone for Gravity, with Her in a close second. To me a great film shows you and lets you experience something you would not be able to in real life. (maybe 12 years does this as well, who knows)

acting wise, the winners all seemed to be 'politically charged'. maybe its always been so, but it seemed more obvious to me this year.

what did you guys think about the oscars this year?

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Oscars 2014

Post by Shrykespeare »

Haven't yet watched Gravity, 12 Years or Dallas Buyers Club. Can't miss them now.

So happy for Matthew, he's truly at the top of his game.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I'll probably see 12 Years a Slave later this week.

As I mentioned last year, I said that this would be the year that the Academy would show they were more than an "old white guy club". 12 Years a Slave (with Steve McQueen as producer), Lupita Nyong'o, John Ridley and Alfonso Cuaron (times two) proved me correct.

Favorite parts: McConaughey and Leto win, American Hustle goes 0 for 10.
Least favorite part: 20 Feet from Stardom wins Best Documentary. Good but not Oscar-worthy.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

This was honestly the most predictable Oscars I've ever watched. I can't really comment on most of the winners since I haven't seen 12 Years a Slave or Gravity. Jared Leto winning makes me sad. I thought he gave the most overrated performance of the year by far. Matthew McConaughey wouldn't be my first choice for Best Actor, but he carried Dallas Buyers Club on his back and in a year of so many strong performances for actor in a leading role, he is a worthy winner. American Hustle getting shut out is a serious buzzkill as well.

On the other end, I'm very pleased that Cate Blanchett picked up the victory for Best Actress. Her performance was my favorite of all of 2013 save for Michael B. Jordan in Fruitvale Station. It was a completely fine ceremony overall and I thought Ellen was a great host. Have to check out 12 Years a Slave asap so I can see what all the fuss is about.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

McConaughey and Leto were performers that pushed themselves to the limit and managed to deliver in addition to going the method acting route. In lesser hands, their characters would have been stock. But McConaughey and Leto pull it off incredibly well.

American Hustle meanwhile is Oscar bait at its worst. Had this opened at any other time during the year, it would have not been nominated for anything.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

The only real disappointment for me was June Squibb not winning Best Supporting Actress. Otherwise, a very good batch of winners. I can even live with Alfonso Cauron winning for Gravity because of its technical marvels and for getting a good performance out of Sandra Bullock in a situation that wasn't very conducive to good acting. It also would have been nice to see Judi Dench up there as a career-capper, but Cate Blanchett was a very worthy winner.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Once more Oscars have proven how predictable they are. Too bad. Even if I like a lot of those winners, sometimes I wish we could be surprised by those awards.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Yep, utterly predictable. Which wouldn't be bad if most of the winners weren't so undeserved. 12 Years A Slave winning best adapted script? The script was awful. Pitt's character was one of the worst written characters I can think of. And the film is sorely lacking in the characterisation department. I can forgive it for winning best pic, because at least it's opening up the debate on slavery and racism, unlike frothy and forgettable winners like The Artist and Argo.

Biggest surprise has to be for documentary. Although I haven't seen it from all accounts 20 Feet is a nice but pithy doc. The Square is very topical and very important, and The Act of Killing is powerful and innovative. 20 Feet will be regarded as The King's Speech of documentaries.

It wasn't all bad, though. I do think all the acting awards were relatively deserved. Sure, I would have preferred Sally Hawkins and Judi Dench winning, but Blanchett and Nyongo did put in great work. And delighted to see The Great Beauty win. And Her's script is probably the best of the 5 nominees.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

The Great Beauty win probably is the Best Foreign Language Winner in years. I'm so glad it won, because it left Cannes undeservedly empty-handed.
Friday was the César Awards, the French Oscars, and I was shocked and disappointed to see "The Broken Circle Breakdown" win Best Foreign Film over The Great Beauty.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Well, undead, you pretty much have to see 12 years a slave, and if you havent check out Shame, Steve McQueens previous film.

Im happy with the acting awards, Leto and McConaughey were very deserved.

I thought Gravity didnt deserve that much acclaim, so im not happy with that, its a good movie, but not 7 awards good.

Also watched Her last night, and glad it won an award.

And Finally Frozen is a shithouse movie, shithouse
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Ron Burgundy wrote: I thought Gravity didnt deserve that much acclaim, so im not happy with that, its a good movie, but not 7 awards good.
They were mostly technical categories. Categories that stuff like the Transformers movies get nominated for. Winning these don't mean that the substance of your film is good just that it looked and sounded better than anything this year. It looked and sounded much better than any other film this year in my opinion, so there's four or five of them right there.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Agreed W, however, the next time I see a cover of Gravity, it will say: winner of 7 academy awards. When perhaps The hobbit or something else was more deserving of a lesser category like sound.

Either way, it's only the Oscars, we can't get too snarky about this shit
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

I think the reason the Oscars have become so predictable is that there are so many awards beforehand. They've been around for years, of course, but now they're all on TV, they're all over the internet, so by the time we get to the Oscars the winners have won 6 times already. Not the Oscars fault, as much as everyone else trying to jump on the bandwagon.

Having said that, I thought this was a pretty good year. The diversity (in every sense of the word) of movies that were nominated was really broad, and although I had my favorites it was hard to fault the choices. There's always some great performances and films that get left out but that just gives people like us something to debate. You can't include everything. To paraphrase the Incredibles - If everybody's special, then nobody is.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Not only are there numerous awards shows before the Oscars, there's an entire industry built around trying to predict the Oscars. The prognosticators are better than ever, and their predictions gain more exposure than ever before. The problem is not that the Academy has become more predictable, the problem is the information age we live in. There are no more surprises.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Yeah, Gold Derby got all the actors, director and picture correct.

Anyway, let's predict 2015!

Best Picture: too early to tell but I can see Big Eyes, Exodus, Foxcatcher, Inherent Vice, Love and Mercy, Unbroken and Untitled Stephen Frears Project (the Lance Armstrong biopic) in the running
Best Actor: Steve Carell (Foxcatcher) and Ben Foster (Untitled Stephen Frears Project) are good candidates
Best Actress: Amy Adams, Big Eyes