Oscars 2014

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Re: Oscars 2014

Post by JohnErle »

That Brad Pitt WWII tank movie might be a contender. Other than that, we'll have to wait and see what the festivals have in store.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Fury is this year's Lone Survivor: pro-war (David Ayer is ex-Special Forces and tends to include a positive reference to the military in his works) movie that audiences will love but only sees a few technical noms.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Watched the summarised version on TV last night. Definitely a good year for making fun of.

Poor Leo. He looked heart-broken, and the memes are a-flowin.

Same with Travolta, who just blurted out random names in his head. You can Travoltafy your name here: http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/low_ ... _name.html

And wow, Steve McQueen was not happy about John Ridley winning Best Adapted Screenplay. I would have thought their feud would have been about not wanting to be credited for that poor script.

Matthew McConaughey's speech was bizarre and he ultimately ended up thanking himself as his ultimate inspiration. On any normal year he would have won the secret award for worst speech of the night. But that actually went to the creepily bubbly duo who won best song, and tried to rhyme their speech. It's like they've been home-schooled until they were 30. By Mickey Mouse. My muscles still ache from the shudders.

Their Oscars should have been taken from them and given to Lupita Nyongo, whose rehearsed speech was nevertheless lovely and heart-felt. Pity her future will be marginalised character roles and the occasional goofy comedy. She deserves better.

Ellen was okay, nothing special. The pizza idea was amusing but was boring. I skipped Best Picture.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Wasting four hours of your life on Nymphomaniac has left you even more cynical than usual. Lars Von Trier will do that to ya. ;-)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Well Six, you just made me want to take a look at the Oscars :lol:

I only saw that John Travolta bit online, and already Travolified my name earlier today, but it's not as good as if it was good ol' Johnny himself doing it, because the widget on slate at least keeps your initials, while Travolta doesn't even care about that. I got Dawid Tufker. I mean, Dawid for David, it's too easy, John Travolta would have picked another name entirely.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

The best Oscar speech ever was Joe Pesci's in 1991. Short and to the point.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr