Need Help: Films About Friendship Through Guilt

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Need Help: Films About Friendship Through Guilt

Post by numbersix »

Need your collective brain again guys.

Been trying to think of examples. I know there are a few.

Looking for films or TV shows where there is a friendship based on guilt. For example, the guy a wife has been cheating with ends up befriending the husband because he feels sorry for him. The killer of a person returns to befriend or get involved with the husband/wife/child of the person he murdered. That sort of thing. But the core relationship is between the outsider perpetrator and the unaware victim (so a film like Chloe, where the wife who was cheated on seeks the woman her husband was with, doesn't work).

Thoughts very welcome!

SuperShaan
Oldboy

Re: Need Help: Films About Friendship Through Guilt

Post by SuperShaan »

Another Earth (2011) and The Fisher King (1991) are the only ones that spring to my mind.
Mein Führer! I can WALK!

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Re: Need Help: Films About Friendship Through Guilt

Post by JohnErle »

The Town is the obvious one you probably know and which worked far better than I would have expected. Also Another Earth, which is not a good movie but has the dynamic you described.

A bit of a variation can be found in movies like In Bruges or The Deep End (guilt over something someone is doing now or supposed to do in the future) or Solaris. And oh yeah, The Fisher King. Good one, Shaan.

EDIT: Tilda Swinton in The Deep End was aware of what was going on, so probably not what you're looking for.