Reel Society Of Film Critics Awards 2014 - The Master List

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Re: Reel Society Of Film Critics Awards 2014 - The Master Li

Post by silversurfer19 »

We were lucky that a month or so ago they played quite a few of the docs released this year on tv, from the likes of Blackfish to Act Of Killing and the Stephen Hawking movie. I'm generally not someone who checks out docs in the cinema, I just don't think they need that format for the most part, so it was good to catch up on a few of them eventually. Lone Survivor gets a release here at the end of the month, so I hope to catch it then.

And Chien, I know you only watch movies in the cinema, but if you really wanted to, I'm sure websites such as pirateproxy or isohunt can facilitate your need to see certain movies. Not that I'd advocate illegal downloading. I'd never, and won't do that....

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Well I don't just watch films in theater, I just mainly do. I'd say 85% of the films I see, I see in theater.
Since I began programming the Paris Korean Film Festival (and this year I've been promoted to chief programer !), I have to watch a lot of films on a small screen, and most of the time in screener quality, which is mediocre. It's hard for the theater maniac I am I must say, but I've learned along the way.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

BanksIsDaFuture wrote: P.S. - I don't know how you guys feel about screeners (gotten in not-so-kosher ways) but I've got DVD screeners for most of the Oscar movies this year. If you guys want me to upload them somewhere where you can download them from me (dropbox or sendspace or something like that, or even try and email?), I can do that. Just in case you won't be able to make it to the theaters so much in the next coming weeks.
I'm shocked and appaled that you would even suggest such a thing.

Count me in.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Banks which ones do you have? Would help me determine my movie choices over the next couple weeks.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Geezer wrote:Banks which ones do you have? Would help me determine my movie choices over the next couple weeks.

Right now I have:

American Hustle
Her
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
Dallas Buyer's Club
Blue Jasmine
August: Osage County
Lone Survivor
Saving Mr. Banks
Rush
The Spectacular Now
The Butler
Prisoners
About Time
The Wolf of Wall Street

I have Lone Survivor in my dropbox right now, I'll PM you and JE my login info so you guys can d/l if you want.

Anyone else, you can PM me too. :D
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I have a few movies on my hard drive too, so if anyone is interested in any of the following list, let me know:

20 Feet From Stardom
Before Midnight
I'm So Excited
Room 237
Shadow Dancer
The Congress
The Hunt

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Downloaded Loan Survivor but for some reason I'm not getting any sound. When I stream it the sound works though, so I'll just have to watch that way when I get a bit of time.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I'm not sure you really need too much sound for "Loan Survivor" though, Geez, it's the sequel "Mortgage Survivor" that's the real deal. Mark Wahlberg is giving a hell of a time to bankers in that one.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I can't wait for Loan Survivor 2: Offshore Investments.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Geezer wrote:Downloaded Loan Survivor but for some reason I'm not getting any sound. When I stream it the sound works though, so I'll just have to watch that way when I get a bit of time.
Try VLC. It plays everything. I tested it at work and got no sound either, but when I got home and tried VLC it worked fine.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Thanks for the tip! I'll be using that from now on.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

By the way, NSpan finally got back to me, and so I've added both The History Of Folk, Star Trek Into Darkness and Somebody Up There Likes Me to The Master List.

A reminder you all have until 20th February to submit your nominees for the first round of voting, so plenty of time to catch up on those last few movies.
Last edited by silversurfer19 on January 20th, 2014, 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Hi, everybody. Hope things are good all around.

I managed to see almost nothing (new) in 2013. Of those, I generally enjoyed what I saw. I mean, if you're only going to watch one movie a month, might as well make it a sure thing right?? Though, that said, a "sure thing" is never really a sure thing in cinema.

I finally saw Gravity last night, and it was frankly a bit underwhelming. Children of Men is in my Top 50 movies EVER, so my expectations might have been a bit high. I still enjoyed it, and I am anticipating increased appreciation upon further viewings. Exact same situation with Upstream Color.

Meanwhile, my lukewarm reaction to JJ Abrams' first Star Trek tempered my anticipation for Star Trek Into Blahness. I was pleasantly surprised to find it exponentially more engaging than the previous installment. This is the End was even funnier than I had hoped--and I'm a fan of that troupe. Great throwaway ending, too. I hate when ridiculous movies feel compelled to play it straight toward the finale. This one sticks to its guns.

Despite being a bit overpraised (and overly sentimental at times), The Way, Way Back features some great writing and some great acting. Sam Rockwell drew me in (and delivered) but Steve Carrell really impressed. Jim Rash is an incredibly talented writer/comedian/actor/performer/general funny person.

Room 237 kept me interested through premise alone. In terms of being an innovative documentary, this didn't bring anything new to the table. Even so, it's overanalysis of Kubrick--you just can't go wrong... even when you go wrong. I thought I saw more documentaries this year, but I guess they were only new to me. Kill Me Now was hilarious if a bit disposable. Same goes for The History of Future Folk--with quirky charm making up for fewer belly laughs. Oz the Great and Powerful was a worthy remake of Army of Darkness. I prefer Ash and Deadites to Franco and Munchkins... but to each his own.

The most rewarding movie of 2013 was basically the only one that I went into blind. Somebody Up There Likes Me delivers in every aspect and is infinitely rewatchable--with more to appreciate with each sitting. Unbelievably funny (while being bone dry and pitch dark), amazing writing, great music, and some of the best comic delivery I've ever seen. I could go on and on. This is not only movie of the year, this is a contender for my new all-time favorite movie period.

Anyway, listed below are the votes I just sent to Stu via PM correspondence. I've heard from Pat and Rick recently, so I know those guys are doing okay. What's new with everybody else? I obviously have some catching up to do if my final votes are going to be the least bit "informed" -- who wants to tell me their MUST SEE recommendation before that final round commences??

PS. For those interested, life in SoCal has been a blast. I'm taking a bit of a breather after a whirlwind of three years since I first moved out there (I'm visiting my sister in The Woodlands aka White Houston at the moment, hence using the word "there" rather than "here"). I always planned to go back to school and earn a higher degree (I can't keep on collecting BAs forever, now can I?) after making a few bucks in the energy industry. Well, even after state/federal taxes, I made more than a few bucks, spent even more than that, created a successful business, dropped a few old vices--while wasting no time in replacing them with new vices, went a little bit crazy from stress, shaved my head to make sure that I looked the part ("crazy") and now I find myself at a crossroads: grow the hair back to socially acceptable, get the suits to the dry cleaner, and forge ahead in an extremely lucrative career that I don't personally care all that much about OR get my assets stabilized and go get that PhD in theology/philosophy/ethics (my real interests) and keep my head shaved like Walter White. If I go with the latter, the reward would be the process--I'd love to devote all of my time to studying and learning more... I'm not expecting such a degree (even a PhD) to result in better money than I can make in my current industry. Also, I'm living in the meth capital of the country... so the Walter White look is all the more fitting. Who wants to impulsively chime in on some major life decisions via an internet message board devoted to our collective obsession with cinema?

Best Picture
Somebody Up There Likes Me
This is the End
Gravity
Upstream Color
Star Trek Into Darkness

Best Director
Alfonso Cuaron - Gravity
Shane Carruth - Upstream Color
Sam Raimi - Oz the Great and Powerful
Bob Byington - Somebody Up There Likes Me
Evan Goldberg - This is the End

Best Actor in a Leading Role
George Clooney - Gravity
Shane Carruth - Upstream Color
Sam Rockwell - The Way, Way Back
Keith Poulson - Somebody Up There Likes Me
Steve Carrell - The Way, Way Back

Best Actor in a Supporting Role
Danny McBride - This is the End
Kevin Corrigan - Somebody Up There Likes Me
Nick Offerman - Somebody Up There Likes Me

Best Actress in Any Role
Jess Weixler - Somebody Up There Likes Me
Stephanie Hunt - Somebody Up There Likes Me
Megan Mullally - Somebody Up There Likes Me

Best Documentary Feature
Room 237

Best Cast
This is the End
Kill Me Now
The Way, Way, Back
Star Trek Into Darkness

Breakthrough Performance
Michael Swaim - Kill Me Now
Jess Weixler - Somebody Up There Likes Me
Keith Poulson - Somebody Up There Likes Me

Best Original Screenplay
This is the End
Upstream Color
The Way, Way, Back
History of Future Folk

Best Adapted Screenplay
Star Trek Into Darkness
Oz the Great and Powerful

Best Cinematography
Gravity
Upstream Color

Best Score
The History of Future Folk

Best Visual Effects
Star Trek Into Darkness
Gravity
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

NSpan wrote: Who wants to impulsively chime in on some major life decisions via an internet message board devoted to our collective obsession with cinema?
Have you considered cannibalism? All the kids are into it.

Seriously, though, in my experience it's a lot easier to make money when you're young and healthy and a lot easier to chase your dreams when you have money in the bank. My advice to anyone would be make your money when you can, invest it wisely, then retire early and do what you want to do.

Or, you know, spend the rest of your life watching movies. Whatever works.

If you choose the latter, I'd start with Inside Llewyn Davis, Zero Charisma or All Is Lost.

And I forgot all about Somebody Up There Likes Me. I might have to check it out someday.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I watched Zero Charisma last week and I guess I'm not the audience they were going for but I simply found nothing to like about it. The characters are obnoxious stereotypes and it plays so many cliches about nerds straight. In places, it was like watching Tiny Furniture but with D&D players replacing Greenwich Village hipsters.

The one nice thing I can say about it is that the filmmakers at least tried to do something different. But in the end, I'll pick Computer Chess instead.

Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr