Reel Society Of Film Critics Awards 2014 - The Master List

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Reel Society Of Film Critics Awards 2014 - The Master List

Post by silversurfer19 »

Come one, come all. Yes it is indeed that time of year again. I hope everyone has had a fantastic Christmas and New Year, I know myself while much frivolioty and excitement was had, the word buffet will be a dirty word in our house for the next couple of weeks. There's only so many mini sausages, pork pies and crackers with some weird paste I can take, not to mention the huge Turkey my wife bought on Boxing Day for a bargain price which now needs to be eaten. Ugh! So, while we are all putting the Monopoly back away in the attic, throwing the tree in next door's back garden and proclaiming once again that Ben Hur is the epitomy of Christmas Day tv, I ask you all to look back over the movies we have watched in cinemas over the last US calendar year. There's been some great stuff, while also some absolute turkeys (pun fullheartedly intended). And to some of us, those are entirely interchangeable. Which is where the Reel Society Of Film Critics Awards come in.

We are now in the 2014 edition, and the intention is to hold the ceremony on the first weekend of March, giving everyone a good couple of months to catch up on the holiday season's movies, not to mention any others you may have missed throughout the year. To make it easier for you all, for the second year running we will be providing a Master List, a list of movies which the committee deem essential viewing for voting. It doesn't mean all the nominees will have to come from this list, but it gives you all a good starting point if you need to catch up.

Remember, the nominees must be selected from movies released in the US from 1st January 2013 - 31st December 2013, it doesn't matter what format they are released in during that period (ie, even if, like Lone Survivor or Her, the movie is released limited just before the close of 2013 before going wide in 2014 it is eligible for nomination), but it must be released between those dates.

I ask that everyone that wants to take part announce here that they wish to partake as a committee member, and then that they first provide me with a list of five movies that they have truly loved over the last year that they wish to be placed on the master list. Once I have received all those lists, I will present The Master List on the first page of this thread, and it can then be used as a reference if you are stuck on a movie which may be worth watching prior to the actual nominees.

Now, regarding the awards, nominees will be required for the following categories:

Best Picture
Best Director
Best Actor in a Leading Role
Best Actress in a Leading Role
Best Actor in a Supporting Role
Best Actress in a Supporting
Best Foreign Language Film
Best Animated Picture
Best Documentary Feature
Best Cast
Breakthrough Performance
Best Original Screenplay
Best Adapted Screenplay
Best Cinematography
Best Score
Best Visual Effects

Following the first round of voting there will be 10 nominees for Best Picture, and 5 nominees for each other award.

Voting
The voting structure is as follows:

Master voting: everyone nominates their favourite 5 movies of the year for Best Picture.

1st round of voting: everyone nominates a maximum of 5 in each category. This will produce the nominees.

2nd round of voting: everyone ranks their nominees in a sliding system of 1-10 for Best Picture nominees, with your favourite gaining a maximum of 10 points, and then you can assign a score for each of the remaining movies as you please, while movies unseen must be given a 0. For other categories it is the same system but on a sliding scale of 1-5. This will decide the winners.

Schedule
I've allowed for as long a round of voting as possible so that everyone can find an opportunity to watch movies which may be up for consideration, and starting from today, the Master List voting is now open. Tentative dates which can be amended if need be as follows:

Jan 1st – Jan 12th – Master List Voting
Master List Announced Jan 13th
Jan 13th - Feb 20th - 1st round of voting
Nominees Announced - Feb 21st
Feb 21st – March 8th– 2nd round of voting

Awards Show - Sunday, March 9th

For this to work as always we need a committee of set voters, so please register your interest in this thread, and I will add you as a member. You can pm your Master List nominations to my inbox or my email at silversurfer19@hotmail.com.

As always I would request 10 people to submit a small featurette for the 10 Best Picture nominees. These can be decided at a much later date, but I thought I'd remind everyone nevertheless. And please, if you do wish to provide a featurette, please ensure you have the time to do so. It doesn't need to be an essay, even a couple of sentances why you love the movie is enough, but so that I don't have to do them all myself at the last minute, ensure you have the time. Hopefully this should prove just as exciting as last year with lots of close races, so on with the nominations!

Committee Members
silversurfer19
thegreenarrow
numbersix
JohnErle
transformers
BanksIsDaFuture
Chienfantome
Buscemi
Supershaan
Walleye
empire
Geezer
Ron Burgundy
W
Jas
NSpan
undeadmonkey

The Master List

1. 12 Years A Slave
2. About Time
3. The Act Of Killing
4. All Is Lost
5. American Hustle
6. Anchorman 2
7. Before Midnight
8. Blackfish
9. Blue Is The Warmest Colour
10. Captain Phillips
11. Dallas Buyers Club
12. Despicable Me 2
13. Gravity
14. The Great Beauty
15. Fruitvale Station
16. Frozen
17. Her
18. The History Of Folk
19. The Hobbit
20. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
21. The Hunt
22. In The House
23. Inside Llewyn Davis
24. Iron Man 3
25. Mud
26. No
27. Now You See Me
28. Pacific Rim
29. Pain & Gain
30. Philomena
31. The Place Beyond The Pines
32. Prince Avalanche
33. Prisoners
34. Sightseers
35. Somebody Up There Likes Me
36. Snitch
37. The Spectacular Now
38. Star Trek Into Darkness
39. This is the End
40. Trance
41. Upstream Color
42. The Way, Way, Back
43. What Maisie Knew
44. The Wolf Of Wall Street
45. The World's End
Last edited by silversurfer19 on February 27th, 2014, 4:17 pm, edited 19 times in total.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Reel Society Of Film Critics Awards 2014 - The Master Li

Post by numbersix »

Gonna get thinking about my 5 for the master list. Since it's based on US release dates there are a few films that might have been forgotten, so I'm going to do some work on that.

Oh, and count me in for the committee

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I'm in. And hopefully you'll send out a reminder a few days before the Master List is due. I've got a few potentially great movies I should be able to see before then. I kinda doubt they'll usurp anything in my current top 5, but I may as well hold off.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

No problem, I'll send out reminders before each deadline. Remember, the Master List does not have to be a definitive list that you stick by come the actual nominations, it just gives everyone, yourself included, a starting point.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Of course I'm in.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Duh
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I don't know. I've never understood what's funny and exciting about it all.... Oh come on who am I kidding, of course I'm gonna participate ! I can't wait to put up my Master List and my noms ! :D
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Yeah, I'll join this year.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

SuperShaan
Oldboy

Post by SuperShaan »

Sign me up.
Mein Führer! I can WALK!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I may have to opt out this year. This past year was probably the busiest year I've had in the last decade, and as a result, I saw fewer movies in the past twelve months than in any previous year. In addition, there were no movies that I loved (even though there were many that I really liked), and I saw any of the films that will likely be nominated for Best Picture (except American Hustle). Between my weekly column, the Super Leagues and everything else, I'm pretty much booked up.

I will be an interested spectator, though.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

No problem, Shryke, I know how sometimes just getting to the movies can be a task in itself! Just to bump awareness though, if anyone does want to take part as a member of the committee, you are all very welcome. Just let me know and I'll add you to the list as I eagerly await the list of movies that I will compile to form The Master List on Sunday, 12th January.

empire13
Clark Griswald

Post by empire13 »

Thanks for the reminder, Surf. I'm in.
Rick: Where do you get off having tits? - Clayton Rohner, Just One of the Guys

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I'll start the ball rolling. As I assume others are going to list the major contenders, I thought I'd throw in a few smaller films worth consideration

Upstream Colour (for Best Film, Director, Cinematography, and Score)
The Act of Killing (for Best Film, Documentary)
The Hunt (for Best Film, Foreign Film, Actor, Cast, Original Script, Director)
Sightseers (for Best Film, Director, Cast, Original Script)
No (for Best Actor, Foreign Film)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I'm in too
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Good to see so many on board. I'd really love to have as many regulars take part as possible, so if the likes of W and Brockster could additionally join, we would have a healthy contingent to provide the best representation of the fantaverse as possible.

I've received a few lists already, and it's adding up to be quite a diverse field of movies. Hopefully this should continue on into the actual awards too. Just a reminder that the deadline for the Master List is the 12th January, so still another 3 days to send them in, so those requiring the weekend to catch up on some movies are welcome to wait until then if necessary.