Reel Society Of Film Critics Awards 2014 - The Master List

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

NSpan
Frank Booth

Re: Reel Society Of Film Critics Awards 2014 - The Master Li

Post by NSpan »

JohnErle wrote:
NSpan wrote: Who wants to impulsively chime in on some major life decisions via an internet message board devoted to our collective obsession with cinema?
Have you considered cannibalism? All the kids are into it.

Seriously, though, in my experience it's a lot easier to make money when you're young and healthy and a lot easier to chase your dreams when you have money in the bank. My advice to anyone would be make your money when you can, invest it wisely, then retire early and do what you want to do.

Or, you know, spend the rest of your life watching movies. Whatever works.

If you choose the latter, I'd start with Inside Llewyn Davis, Zero Charisma or All Is Lost.

And I forgot all about Somebody Up There Likes Me. I might have to check it out someday.
My bath salts did little more than add a bit to my normal everyday shower routine. My usual urge to eat faces was no higher afterward. So unless these Texas barbecue joints that I can never get enough of are actually of the "Texas Chainsaw" variety, I don't see cannibalism popping up in my wheelhouse.

Regarding your more serious advice, that seems to be the practical/logical/pragmatic/proven conclusion. The "green" energy business has proven to be something where I am proud of my work and believe that it results in something that is not only good for the "customer" but for *everybody*.. An analogy would be getting paid big bucks to simply promote exercise, safety and healthy living. It's all an easy sell because it's good and true and effective (and, in the case of peak energy load reduction, it's government incentivized so the customer ends up getting the goods for free). It's easy to sleep at night when you're proud of your work. All that said, I feel that I stumbled into a market that is booming by necessity (and inversely correlated to the success of most traditional industries). The answers, though benevolent and good for all, are obvious. I'm not an engineer, so I am only expediting the delivery of low-hanging fruit to the populace. If I stopped work altogether, somebody approximately as effective (and hopefully approximately as honest) as I am would take my place in an instant. In that sense, I'm not personally needed. I am personally involved because of the financial benefits it reaps for my LLC. Helping struggling young people (especially those with families) by providing steady work and paychecks is immensely rewarding. But it's a broken system. These guys are overqualified yet eternally thankful for the relatively mundane work. All that combined with the fact that neither I nor my fiancee (nor the other people intimate to me) have ever shown any success in the SAVING/INVESTING portion of what you describe. I can make six figures and drink better drink, eat better food, do better (more?) drugs, get better seats at concerts and shows, etc etc. but my quality of life isn't REALLY that different from being only partially employed and only making enough to cover rent and utilities. Living closely with loved ones, family, and life-long friends/lovers/confidantes/buddies/PICs, etc trumps any material rewards. And, at the end of the day, making money has never been a struggle. Not to toot my own horn (because, God knows, I can fuck this up pretty easily), but I'm well educated, white, male, smart, extremely tech savvy yet with a mind that is obsessed with the non-technical (humor, art, philosophy, etc.), the only thing that held me back from making even more money over the last few years was my (relatively) young age and even younger appearance. I probably missed a big contract or two simply because, even at 31, I still look like a "kid" to the heads of the industry. If anything, I'm leaning toward following my passion now: learn, consume knowledge, immerse myself in an environment surrounded by geniuses, and then day-by-day, year-by-year, integrate what I learn into my personal and business lives. The ultimate goal will to be as informed as I can be regarding the most fundamental issues that concern me, THEN return to large paychecks by performing jobs that I am most confident are utilizing my own potential, creating (or allowing for) the most utilitarian good for all, and fall into line with my personal ideology in such a way that I don't endlessly worry about how I could/should be doing more with my resources to help those around me (including myself), those I interact with, and everybody else in the most efficient way. Saying it like that makes it sound like I just need to get over the hesitations about "am I doing enough" and just DO. But, nonetheless, I think there is something to the concept of immersing yourself in knowledge, education, life experience, etc. while you're "young" and spending your remaining days implementing it. I think it's fairly obvious that one (knowledge) without the other (implementation)--or vice versa--is arguably worthless.. or certainly worth less. But that order (knowledge->implementation) seems somewhat critical in my mind.

I'll find a date with whom to catch Inside Llewyn Davis in Austin at Alamo Drafthouse this week.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Well, I wish I was self-introspecting as much as you NSpan, coming at an age when I'm clearly not one of the youngest guys around anymore, but not yet a vet. That's something I've always had a hard time doing, sit down, think about what I want to do with my life, and take the right way to do it, or making plans in that direction. I've always considered myself a lazy guy although people think I'm not because I've got a work, a blog, a film festival, I've taken language classes as an adult and all, but deep down I'm just a lazy guy who can't seem to get his mind around doing something substantially self-gratifying with my life, as a day job.
So I would say to you, go for what you really want to do deep down, because you seem to be at a point in your life when you're motivated and enlicned to do it. You never know what can happen next in life, and maybe that motivation or opportunity will fade away, so go with your heart. Now.

Concerning the films you loved in 2013, I've seen your favourite, "Somebody Up There Likes Me", at a film festival, a year or so ago. It was a very surprising film, that manages to be epic despite being so short, with a look on life and a sense of humour that really pleased me. I wasn't "impressed" by it, but certainly enjoyed it.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Thanks for the response, Chien. :)

I like your advice. I hope the best for you and yours. Tell me what you're up to in detail when you have the time.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Wow, NSpan. Firstly, good to hear from you. Secondly, you've compensated for months of absence with those 2 dense posts. It was borderline Nico!

Film-wise, I figure you'd dig Ben Wheatley, so if you haven't already seen Kill List, Sightseers, and A Field in England (out next month in the US, I believe), I'd say give them a shot.

In terms of the broader, life (?) stuff, I can say that I've known a few who attempt John's advice, but it didn't quite work out. As you mentioned, most of us have a tendency to spend proportionally to what we earn, so living frugally while earning big bucks is tougher than it seems (and it's also common to see that in order to earn big bucks you have to spend loads too, and not just in terms of the industry). But many of my friends saw their ambitions fade away while more immediate life goals got on the way. They stay in their jobs because it's comfortable, and because things keep popping up (I'll stay just to cover the wedding, I'll stay until the kids get a little older, etc). Perhaps this is a good system to test one's ambition. But there are some who are uneasy with this life. Cue "Once in A Lifetime".

I say take the risk while you're young and stupid enough to do it, when you don't have as many obligations. It is harder to get a new job when you're older, but I'd rather spend my youth doing something I enjoy. And yeah, I've often thought about whether it would have been better to be an investment banker or hedge fund manager or something, and retired before I'm 40, but I think your mentality changes when you do that stuff, you spend less time thinking about what you want and immersing yourself, especially if it's something creative. While I personally never really sacrificed the wealthy route (though I did leave a rather stable TV job), I'm glad I spent 2 years on social welfare to get employed in a job I wanted, even if it means getting paid very little. But I'm putting the time in now and maybe it'll lead to something better. Not sure if I could have done that in my late 30s.

So I say throw caution to the wind. You already have enough reasons to push ahead and take the "knowledge" route, so to speak, so you can gain those potential tools and apply them later on. I may be biased, though, as I want to see that wonderful burst of hair remain...

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Ha, another fan of the mane, eh?

Thanks for your thoughtful insights, buddy.

also: more movies added to my MUST WATCH list.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I'm a big believer in following your dreams, but I'm also practical enough to know that it's easier to achieve your dreams when you have money.

As for Six's friends who chose financial stability over their ambitions, I would argue that their dreams probably weren't real to begin with. Everyone has youthful fantasies about being a rock star, an astronaut, or a cowboy, but that's different from having a burning desire that never goes away.

Me, I've tried both methods being suggested in this thread and didn't have a lot of luck with either. Maybe there's a third option I'm not aware of.

I started off as a 20-year old moving cross country with very little money to attend film school and be a screenwriter. I always had to work to keep a roof over my head, and after a while my part-time gig morphed into a full-time job and I was making more money than I'd ever had. And I made the common mistake of spending it all as fast as I could make it. I had a hell of a lot of fun, but then came the cliched downfall. I got laid off, kept on living in the manner I'd grown accustomed to, and then I had an accident that left me unable to work for six months while living in an apartment I could no longer afford. I had never been in debt until that point and I haven't been out of debt since.

For the past five years I've been living like a kid again and I'm basically where I was at when I first moved to Vancouver. I'm a worker bee by day, running Dynamic Range Radio by night, and flat broke 24/7. My job doesn't pay well, but it allows me lots of time to do my own thing while at work, so I'm reasonably content and having DRR keeps me sane, but I also know that if I'd attended fewer concerts and taken fewer weekend getaways during my salad days I wouldn't be in the financial mess I am now and I might be able to actually grow DRR instead of just barely keeping it afloat.

In the end, everyone's situation is different and only you know what's right for you. If you're truly unhappy with the way things are, it might be best to move on. Only you know the answer.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to LinkedIn to chat about movies. And grow the hair back, FFS! ;-)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Yeah I forgot to add, like Six and John said, the most important thing to tell you Nick : GROW the hair back buddy ! You'll miss having the opportunity to grow them when you start losing them. I know what I'm talking about ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

And I forgot to add: we never got to see your Favourite Albums of all time. You disappeared in the middle of the list-making. Which is good, in a way, as you almost had me giving prog a break.

Would love to know the 4 or 5 favourites at some stage.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Nice to see you around Span. Hopefully its not just a one-off thing. You've been missed. If you get the chance, I'd recommend:

Her
The Spectacular Now
The World's End
Lone Survivor
Hunger Games Catching Fire (if you saw and liked the first)
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

NSpan great to hear from you after your extended absence, the wit and hilarity that stem from your posts has been greatly missed around here. If you get the chance, I'd highly recommend the following:
Fruitvale Station
Pain & Gain
American Hustle
Inside Llewyn Davis
The Spectacular Now
Rush
Prisoners
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

NSpan wrote:...shaved my head to make sure that I looked the part ("crazy") and now I find myself at a crossroads: grow the hair back to socially acceptable
Wait, you think that you only started looking crazy once you shaved your head? I thought it was the hair that made you look crazy in the first place! Kind of a cross between Sideshow Bob and Beaker...

Great to see a little manipulation has drawn you back to the boards, hopefully the shackles have been well strapped to keep you here for a little longer. Work will come and go, and while finding that balance between doing what you want to do and what you need to do can't always be easy, I always feel going with your heart will leave you in a happier place. Money is great and all, but doing something you love? Can't beat it. So, considering you love us all so much, you have to stay here for the forseeable future. And take your online status off hidden so we can monitor as such...

As for some movies, as well as many already suggested, I'd recommend:

The Great Beauty
In The House
The Hunt
Blue Jasmine
Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa

But heck, this is what the Master List is for, get onto all of those movies, you have one month until the first deadline so plenty of time!

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

I guess asking for input is futile when, after all, Stuart is behind the scenes pulling the strings.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Geezer wrote:Nice to see you around Span. Hopefully its not just a one-off thing. You've been missed. If you get the chance, I'd recommend:

Hunger Games Catching Fire (if you saw and liked the first)
Trying to keep it from being one-off. Started Catching Fire last night... it just really isn't my thing... and we ended up switching over to watching the original with a RiffTrax (the new MST3k) layover audio. Good stuff, that!

Lots of foot traffic in and around the house today, so we're going to stick to similarly light fare: Only God Forgives and You're Next (both from Boosh's list, I believe). Beyond that, we're going to give Catching Fire another shot with the (albeit skewered) original fresh in our minds. I'm going to give it an honest try, though I might just not be convert material.

these are the titles that I'm keeping an eye out for this month (thanks to everyone who chimed in with suggestions and kind words):

Inside Llewyn Davis (It's just a matter of picking a showtime on this one)
Her
The Spectacular Now
The World's End
Kill List
Sightseers
A Field in England
American Hustle
Mud
Dallas Buyers Club
Nebraska
Rush
Prisoners
The Great Beauty
In The House
The Hunt
Blue Jasmine
Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa

Chienfantome wrote:Concering the films you loved in 2013, I've seen your favourite, "Somebody Up There Likes Me", at a film festival, a year or so ago. It was a very surprising film, that manages to be epic despite being so short
Definitely agree about Director Bob Byington's success at cramming SO MUCH into such a short runtime. And it never feels heavy-handed or overly plotty in the least. In fact, the breezy attitude of the protagonist carries over into the tone of the film--to the point that the aforementioned lifestyle is given a compulsory reconsideration when the credits roll so early and--to some--jarringly.
numbersix wrote:Wow, NSpan. Firstly, good to hear from you. Secondly, you've compensated for months of absence with those 2 dense posts. It was borderline Nico!
"Borderline Nico" eh? I might be seeing that crazy old wizard this week. I'll share that prognosis with him. He'll get a kick out of it. How long do I got, doc?
JohnErle wrote:Me, I've tried both methods being suggested in this thread and didn't have a lot of luck with either. Maybe there's a third option I'm not aware of.
It's not as if the career I've fallen into is something I disdain. In fact, it's very rewarding and in-line with my ethical/political/philosophical views. I got very lucky in that sense. That said, I have a nagging feeling that I could/should be doing something more. I hate to think of letting that feeling simply fade into nothing without addressing it while I still can. My approach is perhaps that third option. I'm going to invest as much of myself into my "dreams" as I possibly can without accruing debt. I don't mind being relatively poor or even broke--but once one gets in the red, everything changes. It's hard to get much of anything accomplished when you're simply thrashing around just to stay afloat. We'll see if riding that line is really possible, I guess.
Chienfantome wrote:Yeah I forgot to add, like Six and John said, the most important thing to tell you Nick : GROW the hair back buddy ! You'll miss having the opportunity to grow them when you start losing them. I know what I'm talking about ;)
My hairline is holding up well, but--to be honest--it's a bit higher and a tiny bit more horse-shoe shaped than I anticipated (having not really seen it much after years and years of medium to long hair). I definitely fear the hypothetical day that I shave my head for fun without realizing it just simply isn't coming back this time. lol
silversurfer19 wrote:Wait, you think that you only started looking crazy once you shaved your head? I thought it was the hair that made you look crazy in the first place!
Depending on my last trim, it was usually more like a Sideshow Cecil. But that kind of crazy isn't uncommon in the areas I've been living. The cancer patient / meth-head / neo-Nazi all-in-one look always keeps people guessing.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

JohnErle wrote:
NSpan wrote: Who wants to impulsively chime in on some major life decisions via an internet message board devoted to our collective obsession with cinema?
Have you considered cannibalism? All the kids are into it.

Seriously, though, in my experience it's a lot easier to make money when you're young and healthy and a lot easier to chase your dreams when you have money in the bank. My advice to anyone would be make your money when you can, invest it wisely, then retire early and do what you want to do.

Or, you know, spend the rest of your life watching movies. Whatever works.

THIS is why I will never leave this place. Thanks, JE, that was the best laugh I've had in weeks.

And Spanny, I'm not going to join in with everyone about how we've all missed you. Bunch of kiss-asses.

:twisted:

But seriously, stay for awhile, okay, you malcontent? Conversations are starting to get dull around here.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)