Casting Suggestions For A Low-Budget Action Movie

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Casting Suggestions For A Low-Budget Action Movie

Post by numbersix »

Hey guys,

Wondering if your wonderful knowledge of cinema can help me out.

We're casting for a sort of arthouse action movie. Set in Congo, it's about an Irish doctor (female, early 30s, tough) who has to race through war-torn Congo to save a boy's life with only a local criminal to help her. So it's sort of an adventure action movie centred on a chalk-and-cheese relationship.

We're looking for ideas to play the Irish doctor. As a character she's determined and tough. She thinks a certain way and working in the Congo is wearing her down because the value of human life is so low. Her journey is to accept the moral greyness of this land and empathise with those around her.

Age range for the actress should be late 20s to early 40s. As our budget isn't very high we have certain limitations for casting. So A-listers like Cate Blanchett and Kate Winslet are out (we actually tried for the latter but got nowhere). But we do want an actress with some profile. We tried Emily Blunt and her agent liked the script but then she announced she was pregnant and is unavailable next year. Then we tried Olivia Wilde and her agent also liked the script but then she announced she was pregnant and is unavailable next year. So that's kind of the level we're looking at.

Ideally we'd like an Irish actress or an actress with some Irish heritage but there aren't many with profile. The next best option would be someone from the UK, and if not there then anywhere around the world.

So any thoughts? We obviously have a few ideas but curious to see if there's anyone who stands out for you guys. If you suggest someone we're not already aware of and we cast her, I'll put you in the credits.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Re: Casting Suggestions For A Low-Budget Action Movie

Post by Chienfantome »

Off the top of my head, the first name that came to my mind, although she is not Irish but could easily pass as one, although she's getting more and more high profile and my be "too big", is Jessica Chastain.
In the less high-profile names, one actress I also thought about is Romola Garai.
Hayley Atwell is another name that popped in my mind, along Gemma Arterton.
Lastly I'll name Rachel Weisz, although I suppose she's close to the A-list too.

This is just off the top of my head, so I'll do some research to see if I find another suitable actress...
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Though probably a choice out of left-field, I'd suggest Rosario Dawson. She's one-fourth Irish and it would probably play to the UK/Ireland idea of having an American actor sell the film.

I'd also suggest Charlotte Gainsbourg and Christina Hendricks (both have UK citizenship so there shouldn't be a problem with either one if you go in that direction).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

I think Rosamund Pike, Kate Beckinsale or Emilia Clarke (a long shot but why I'll suggest it anyways) would be a good fit for that role.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Chienfantome wrote:Off the top of my head, the first name that came to my mind, although she is not Irish but could easily pass as one, although she's getting more and more high profile and my be "too big", is Jessica Chastain.
This was also the first name to pop into my head.

Some other maybes:
Keira Knightley (is she still based out of London? Plus, after The Other Typist, she hasn't signed on for anything so she should be wide open (hehe))
Rebecca Hall (British and got quite a bump from Iron Man 3 & The Town)
Kate Beckinsale (British and we all know she knows her way around an action movie)

And I thought of these too, but I think they may not have the above-the-title you're looking for:

Abbie Cornish (Australian (but it's all the same to us Americans :D ) and she's always played the g/f or sidekick - I think she'd jump on a starring role)
Anna Paquin (again scheduling around True Blood)
Emilia Clarke (British but I guess she'd have to schedule around Game of Thrones)
Debra Ann Woll (she's fair-skinned to play Irish, although she's still on True Blood so scheduling might be a problem)
Mary Elizabeth Winstead (she'd have to probably dye her hair to pull off Irish, but she can act her ass off)
Karen Gillan (she's Scottish and has a fan base from Doctor Who and soon enough, Guardians of the Galaxy. A little young at 26)
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Knightley and Beckinsale would probably ask for too much.

Also, I think selling this one to teenagers is the last thing you'd want to do so I'd scratch off Winstead and Gillian.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Buscemi wrote:Though probably a choice out of left-field, I'd suggest Rosario Dawson. She's one-fourth Irish and it would probably play to the UK/Ireland idea of having an American actor sell the film.
If they go Black Irish, I'd suggest Naomie Harris. But they both are probably too old at this point.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

SuperShaan
Oldboy

Post by SuperShaan »

Michelle Williams
Rose Byrne
Emily Mortimer
Lena Headey
Andrea Riseborough
Ruth Wilson
Imogen Poots
Charlotte Riley
Katie McGrath (Irish)
Ruth Negga (Irish)
Mein Führer! I can WALK!

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Headey could be a possibility, as her financial situation has basically forced her to take whatever is available (and besides, this has to be an improvement over The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones). A meaty role such as this one could really help her career.

I also thought of Wilson but decided that she wasn't well known enough.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Rhada Mitchell (obviously)
Jennifer Ehle
Lily Taylor (try to get some of that post-Conjuring buzz)
And you can't go wrong with Tilda Swinton. With proper lighting, she can pass for early 40s.

Of the ones already mentioned I like Rebecca Hall, Andrea Risebrough, and Rosamund Pike.

I wouldn't have thought of Rose Byrne, but she might be a long shot.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Another option: Gillian Anderson. She's been pretending to be British for the last decade, why not Irish? And she keeps looking younger every year. She played a doctor in Last King Of Scotland, so the role might appeal to her.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Kelly MacDonald is someone I'd like to see what hey can do with a shot. I know she was the lead Brave, but obviously voice acting isn't the same. She's Scottish, but plays Irish on Boardwalk Empire and has done pretty well.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Wow, thanks for the response guys. Here are my thoughts...

Jessica Chastain - too in demand. I figure she'd cost about $1m to do any role, which is almost half our budget
Romola Garai - One of our producers really likes her. I think she's good too. Director not so sure but is checking her again.
Hayley Atwell - yep, good idea, but I was onto her agents and she's busy most of next year with a TV show (presumably the Agents of SHIELD prequel series)
Gemma Arterton - one of my suggestions, but the director isn't a fan.
Rachel Weisz - Yeah, I might bring her up again. She already did her "African" movie, and may be too big, but she'd be perfect
Rosario Dawson - very left of field. Didn't know she had Irish blood. She's a great actress but for this role we need someone stereotypically Irish (i.e. white) for the fish-out-of-water element to work visually.
Charlotte Gainsberg - She's brilliant but crap at accents!
Christina Hendricks - Not a bad idea. She was decent in Ginger and Rosa
Rosamund Pike - Yeah, another one on my list. Must see what the director makes of her.
Kate Beckinsale - Has the action chops, for sure, but probably couldn't afford
Emilia Clarke - A good idea but don't think the director is a fan of hers. We're thinking of her for another of our movies, though.
Kiera Knightley - couldn't afford
Rebecca Hall - Might be too big, but she'd be great.
Abbie Cornish - I really like her. she was on my list.
Anna Paquin - Might not be available.
Debra Ann Woll - You're quite the True Blood fan, Banks ;). Have to see what she's like as an actress
Mary Elizabeth Winstead - yes, good idea. She's amazing in Smashed
Karen Gillan - Not familiar with her, so might get the director to check out
Naomie Harris - Same as Rosario
Ruth Negga - I think she's a great actress, but isn't right.
Michelle Williams - I really wanted to approach her but think she's too much in demand
Rose Byrne - Has Irish heritage. We talked about her before, must revisit this.
Emily Mortimer - Director isn't a fan.
Lena Headey - She's going GoT for most of next year
Andrea Riseborough - Another one from our list. Director is on the fence. I think she'd be perfect
Ruth Wilson - Scary eyebrows but a good idea.
Imogen Poots - I like her, but she's too young!
Charlotte Riley - Not that familiar with her. Is there a particular role we should check out?
Katie McGrath - On our list
Rhada Mitchell - Not a bad idea. Has the action and acting chops!
Jennifer Ehle/Lily Taylor/Tilda Swinton/Gillian Anderson - John, you MILF fiend ;) Probably a stretch for them to play a doctor in her 30s.
Kelly MacDonald - On our list and certainly a possibility.

Thanks again, guys. Will let you know how I progress.

Oh, and for the role of the Congolese criminal we're hoping to nab Omar Sy. He'd be perfect for it.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Let us know how it goes !
I remember you asking me about Omar Sy a couple of years back, before the huge success of The intouchables. Was it already for this film ? He would be a good fit for the role indeed.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

numbersix wrote: Jennifer Ehle/Lily Taylor/Tilda Swinton/Gillian Anderson - John, you MILF fiend ;) Probably a stretch for them to play a doctor in her 30s.
It's not my fault every half-decent English-speaking actress between 25 and 35 had already been mentioned. ;-) And you're better off with someone a bit older who's convincing as a doctor than someone who looks too young to be out of medical school.

Rebecca Hall would have been my first choice anyway.