Oscar Nominations

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

becs
Marty McFly

Re: Oscar Nominations

Post by becs »

I'm pretty sure "the academy" is the same people voting on all categories.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

J.I.
The McMannus Brothers

Post by J.I. »

I would be shocked to see Bullock lose Best Actress. She's been gaining momentum, and the surprise Best Picture nomination for The Blind Side sealed it.

Thought the race for the 5th Best Animated Film slot was between Ponyo and Cloudy, but I've never even heard of The Secret of Kells.

The Hurt Locker getting nominated for Best Score is like Slumdog Millionaire getting nominated last year for Best Sound, they're nominated because they're good movies, not because the score or the sound is particularly good. Not that I have seen either of them so I really shouldn't criticize. But I think this does bode well for The Hurt Locker's chances for winning Best Picture, as does Avatar not getting an Original Screenplay nod.

And lastly, congratulations to Pixar for their first Best Picture nomination.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Sandra Bullock is actually the least deserving of a Best Actress nomination. I'd be completely surprised to see her actually win.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

becs wrote:I'm pretty sure "the academy" is the same people voting on all categories.
I thought it was actors voting for the actor categories, costume designers for the costume category etc. And then everyone votes for best film.

J.I.
The McMannus Brothers

Post by J.I. »

They do that for the nominees but everyone votes for the winners is how I understand it.

And Boush, I'm talking about from how the race has shaped up so far. She won the Golden Globe as well as the SAG and the BFCA.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I actually see Sibide winning Best Actress. I feel a Dreamgirls vibe with it (comparing her to Jennifer Hudson).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

I'm not sure how you pulled a Dreamgirls vibe from Precious, or Gabby Sidibe. She hasn't won anything yet, whereas Hudson won Best Supporting at every awards show imaginable.

If anything, a Monique - Jennifer Hudson comparison would be more appropriate, especially since they're in the same catergory.

Best Actress is a dead heat between Bullock and Streep and has been for awhile. Bullock has the momentum, but I'm hoping she doesn't win. The nomination is reward enough, being her first and all.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Okay, I guess that settles it. The Best Actress category is a non-event.

Streep probably gets it. Bullock has no shot of winning either the Oscar or the Razzie (Megan Fox has the Razzie in the bag).

mateostarr
Juno MacGuff

Post by mateostarr »

Alright guys here is a site where we can all make picks and compete.

http://www.awardspicks.com/ - make an account

Then join the group called In Contention and then make your 2010 picks.

Let me know if there are any issues......