BOLD ASS PREDICTIONS - NOVEMBER AND DECEMBER

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: BOLD ASS PREDICTIONS - NOVEMBER AND DECEMBER

Post by numbersix »

Some interesting claims here.

The boldest ones have to be

Nebraska: 50m+ - I know you have it on your Year Draft, John, so methinks there's a large serving of hope in there. It's a black and white indie-style drama with no stars. Can't wait to see it, but doubt the rest of the US feel the same.
Saving Mr Banks: over 100m - I just don't know who the audience are for this. A sort of making-of drama? Hanks isn't what he used to be (though Cptn Phillips certainly impressed everyone). And as a family film will kids really have the patience for it? That said, W's under 20m prediction is also damn bold.
Walking with Dinosaurs - 100m. I see the logic, it being the only obvious kid choice and so it could hold incredibly well. Bold, but quite possible.
Thor 2 - less than 150m. Now this is just insanity, Ozzy. It's tracking to open in the 80s, and even with Hunger Games coming up it should make it to 200m with ease.
Anchorman - over 210m. Wow, over double the original? Sure, Meet the Fockers achieved this but is Anchorman 2 as family friendly? Madness!

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I'm actually starting to warm to Saving Mr. Banks, it has been advertised like crazy in my cinema, in front of pretty much every movie, so awareness should be high, and Disney, while not appealing to just one particular crowd, appeals to all! I am starting to think it will reach the same audience as The King's Speech, and I think $100m plus is easily possible. It's just going to be a family crowd pleaser, one all the family will be happy to go see over Christmas and beyond.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I think it's fair to say you can rule kids out, though. Seriously, what's in it for them? Even something like Hugo had a bit of magic and a bit of action. Here, it's a drama about a producer trying to option a book! I know Disney are going to push hard but that doesn't guarantee success.

The King's Speech is an interesting comparison. Although the dramatic stakes seemed a little higher in that one, as it involved war, leadership, etc. Saving Mr Banks is far more pithy. Honestly, I think at best it will get an older audience who loved Mary Poppins when younger, although some of those might be tempted by the retro vibe of American Hustle.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

If no one thinks you're crazy in this thread, you're not being bold enough.

EDIT: Six is crazy for thinking the Hobbit will only earn $200 million, so well done.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I forget the protocol here, but since I was outbolded on Hunger Games do I have to come up with something else?

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

JohnErle wrote: EDIT: Six is crazy for thinking the Hobbit will only earn $200 million, so well done.
Some of your crazy juice must have spilled onto my Sane Sarsaparilla.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

JohnErle wrote:I forget the protocol here, but since I was outbolded on Hunger Games do I have to come up with something else?
I had some sort of brain cramp when I made my original predictions and was thinking that the original made $300 million instead of $400. Predicting a sequel to match the original's box office is hardly bold, so I'll submit a newer, bolder pick.

Inside Llewellyn Davis and Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom each earn $50 million+ (eventually).

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Well, at least I got one prediction right.

Are we gonna do one for Feb-Apr?

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Where are my... hum, well, it seems I had forgotten to enter this one !
Fluctuat nec mergitur

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Wow, I was 4/5 until I got outbolded on The Hunger Games. And I was also right about Six being crazy re: The Hobbit, but then we all knew that. ;-)