Festivals and Awards Watch

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: Festivals and Awards Watch

Post by Buscemi »

The Alone Yet Not Alone nomination has been disqualified after an investigation by AMPAS. The empty spot will not be filled (which is too bad as I would have loved to have seen Amen from All is Lost get in).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

I think everyone knows that nod was bullshit, but I didn't even know they could pull a nomination.

If that's the case, every Weinstein film should have an asterisk next to it due to Harvey's frequent rule-breaking campaigns.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

It has happened before. In 1955, a B-movie called High Society has its Best Original Screenplay nomination pulled due to confusion with another film with the same name. In 1972, The Godfather had a Best Original Score nomination pulled due to it adapting music from a previous film (Sleuth replaced it) while in 1992, a nominee was pulled from Best Foreign Language Film due to it not representing the country it was supposed to.

Meanwhile, at least the Weinstein titles are screened before the nominations. Alone Yet Not Alone didn't have any screenings before the nominations were announced (it's scheduled for a March release).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Buscemi wrote:in 1992, a nominee was pulled from Best Foreign Language Film due to it not representing the country it was supposed to
Ha ! That's funny. I can imagine Moldavia selecting "Blue is the warmest color" or "The Hunt" to have a better shot at winning, til someone tells them "Hey Dudes, that's not a Moldavian film, you have to select one of your own !!! - ooooh Riiiiight..."
Fluctuat nec mergitur