What Are You Watching Right Now? Episode 3 - Turtles in Time

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Re: What Are You Watching Right Now? Episode 3 - Turtles in

Post by Chienfantome »

And here's another very wuick recap of the "classics" I've seen in theater lately, all beautifully restored :

- Sacco & Vanzetti : an Italian film about the famous case from the 20's, a powerful film about justice. 8/10
- North by Northwest : I had never seen it on a big screen so I jumped on the opportunity. Hermann's score is amazing in Dolby Stereo. 8.5/10
- Playtime : the French film that inspired Blake Edwards' The Party, by Jacques Tati. Too long, but crazy and ambitious and funny. 7.5/10
- Seconds : an underrated John Frankenheimer film with Rock Hudson. One of the edgiest, most insane ending I've seen in a Hollywood film. It shocked me. 8/10
- Paris, Texas : I had never seen the Wim Wenders Palme d'Or winner, and must admit I was a bit disappointed. Way too long. 6/10
- Moonwalk One : a 70's documentary about the mission Apollo 11. Very strange, very fascinating. But weird really, New-Age weird. 7/10
- The Man who shot Libery Valance : I've never been a big fan of John Ford, I always preferred Howard Hawks' westerns, but this film just made me friend again with Ford. Amazing film, powerful, bitter, smart. An examination about perception. Great film with Jimmy Steward, John Wayne, Lee Marvin, Vera Miles. 9/10
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I saw Ghostbusters in an actual theatre with a crowd today. And on the big screen, you will finally realize the genius that is Rick Moranis.

Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I finally got to watch About Time and I absolutely loved it.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Great to hear that Geezer. One of last year's best surprises.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I saw Forrest Gump on the IMAX today and despite what others might say, I think the film holds up today. I believe the recent why it works is that it's basically a Frank Capra film made for the 90's, with Oscar-winning visual effects to go with the story of an everyman that general audiences can relate to. Of course, no one today makes those kinds of films (Hanks tried again with Larry Crowne but it wasn't a hit).

Also, because there were technical difficulties that led the movie to start five minutes late, I got a free pass for any movie playing at that theatre. I might see The Equalizer on IMAX when that opens three weeks from now.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Buscemi wrote:because there were technical difficulties that led the movie to start five minutes late, I got a free pass for any movie playing at that theatre.
Waouh, that's a generous theater. 5 minutes late and you've got a free pass ? I'd like that, but I don't think that would happen here.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

They were probably nice about it since there were only seven or eight people in the theatre (this reissue was very poorly marketed).

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I got a free pass because Tammy had subtitles throughout the entire movie. I was the only one in the theater.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Because there were subtitles ? really ? English subtitles ?
The only time in recent memory that I got a free ticket was this summer when I went to see "Under the Skin", but there was a black shadow covering a fifth of the screen surface that made me walk out when I understood the people in the cinema were not able to fix the problem. The refunded me and offered me a free pass for another screening. But that was a real problem that disturbed the quality of the screening. They are more generous in the US.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

When I went to see Walk the Line the projector broke and it was too late to start the screening again, so we got a sheet of paper allowing us 2 free tickets to any film within 2 months. Of course I photocopied it dozens of times and got to see a few movies for free. It was a massive cinema chain so I didn't feel too guilty.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

it worked ?? Hahaha, good for you Six :D
Fluctuat nec mergitur

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Ripley Under Ground - 3/10

Leestu was nice enough to send me this DVD all the way from Australia, and to my surprise it worked in my computer's DVD player, no problem. As soon as I put it in I was given the option to change the region on my DVD player, and apparently it gives me four free switches before it locks itself in to a particular region. Who knew?

As for the movie, it's the weakest of the four Ripley adaptations I've seen, and bears very little resemblance to the book or the character. The decision to turn it into a black comedy was a huge mistake, and Barry Pepper was never charming, conniving, or desperate enough. Still, the completist in me is glad to have watched it, so thanks again, Leestu!

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I re-watched a couple of classics from my youth recently and was pleasantly surprised to find that they're both even better than I remembered.

The first was Without A Clue a hysterically funny homage to Arthur Conan Doyle's most famous creation, in which Sherlock Holmes is a fraud hired by the real sleuthing genius, Dr. Watson, to give the public a handsome, charming hero they can relate to. Michael Caine is brilliant as the dim drunkard actor hired by Watson (Ben Kingsley) and who eventually has to put everything he's learned to good use when Watson becomes incapacitated and the real Dr. Moriarty shows up. 9/10

The other was The Fabulous Baker Boys with Jeff and Beau Bridges playing a pair of piano-playing brothers who hire Michelle Pfeiffer as a singer to save their struggling lounge act. She shakes up their relationship, says all the things that have remained unsaid between the brothers for fifteen years, and brings them unprecedented success all while threatening to tear them apart. You don't have to like the music they play to love this movie. 9/10

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I haven't seen The Fabulous Baker Boys in ages.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I just had to leave this moment from Without a Clue here.

Also, The Fabulous Baker Boys has been announced to hit Blu-ray next year (Twilight Time is doing it). I might have to pick it up then.