What Are You Watching Right Now? Episode 3 - Turtles in Time

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: What Are You Watching Right Now? Episode 3 - Turtles in Time

Post by Buscemi2 »

It looks like the WarnerMedia layoffs are affecting HBO Max's streams. In the past two days, I've had movies randomly stop loading and today, I had a movie stop something like ten times in the last 20 minutes. You having the same problems, W?
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I'm not on HBO Max right now. It's really good but I'm paying for too many streaming services.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I'm using a free trial so I don't have to pay. I don't intend to renew for the same reasons you have (I have Netflix, Prime, and the Hulu/Disney+/ESPN+ bundle).

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Tonight's party link for those interested: https://amz.onl/3kmch1i

The movie is Serenity (2019). We'll be making fun of it.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Haven't used HBO Max since Tuesday, but I was able to watch Richard Jewell without incident.

While I sadly can't join right now, a Serenity group watch sounds fun as hell.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Never seen Serenity, but I feel like I've watched it after listening to both The Flophouse and How Did This Get Made. It seems like the perfect movie for what you're doing. I just clicked the link and saw this was for yesterday. I probably would have tried it out.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

We only had a few people but Serenity was a good movie to watch with people who are equally in tune with making fun of it. If MST3K ever gets revived, it would be an excellent film for the cast and writers to riff on (though a few things would need to be cut). It makes In Fabric seem like it has a coherent plot.

Because of the theatres reopening, I'm going to move the next one to Saturday night. It's looking like Jerry Maguire, which will be a standard Netflix party. 7:30 pm start time due to the two hour plus runtime.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I used HBO Max last night and it worked fine for me. I guess it just acts weird at certain hours (the two issues I had were in the afternoon).

And the next two watch parties will be on the 22nd (Jerry Maguire) and the 29th (Back to School). The 22nd will be the earlier start time I mentioned while the 29th will be at 8:00 pm.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Many Sundays ago, I saw the original King Kong before all the theatres closed. Today, I made that return to an actual, paying movie theatre with another classic.

What can I say? It might be the ultimate love letter to cinema and cinemagoing and it really struck a chord with the events we've been living through. And if I die in the next few days, I feel the trip was well worth it.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

How many other people attended, Boosch?

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Seven or eight. They could only sell to 25% capacity and it was a members only screening that you had to RSVP via e-mail to attend.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

With August 21st pretty much Unofficial Movie Theatre Day, I celebrated with a recent Criterion selection.

Had this been made a decade later with a lot of its themes becoming cliche by then, I probably would have detested it. But since it wasn't, I still find Miranda July's debut charming and hilarious. It's the kind of film that could veer too far in one direction but it manages to be restrained and the process, becomes a meaningful little movie. It's in its own bizarre little world but you have to admire it for that.

Up next: Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

This was my favorite movie when I was 12 and it's still awesome.

Up next: Unforgiven.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

It shouldn't have taken me this long to realize just how brilliant Unforgiven is. A plot that is more than the typical story of vengeance, it's a film about a man's regrets and how against his wishes, he's being brought back into the life he sought to forget. It's both the classic archetype of a western and a revisionist tale that digs deeper into its figures. And as good as Eastwood and Freeman are, I actually think it's Gene Hackman that gives the best performance. I might be compelled to say that it's the best performance that he ever gave.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

This was the new 4K master that is currently showing in Regal theatres and I have to imagine this is probably how the movie looked when it opened on December 5th, 1984. And it sounded really good, too. As for the movie, it might still be Eddie's best (though Trading Places and Coming to America are in contention), as it takes the ordinary premise of a fish out of water (here, a Detroit cop going to Beverly Hills to find his friend's killer and bring him to justice) and makes it feel original by bringing Murphy's style of humor and meshing it with the upper-crust world that is 1984 Beverly Hills. When talking about classic 80's comedies, this one must be brought up as a lot of them wouldn't exist without this one.

It also gave us Cobra, which was based on Stallone's unused ideas when he was set to star.

Up next: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.