What Are You Watching Right Now? Episode 3 - Turtles in Time

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

W
Norman Bates

Re: What Are You Watching Right Now? Episode 3 - Turtles in Time

Post by W »

Free Shipping over $35. It's showing I can ship an up to 15 ounce package for $6.12 max. Over 15 ozs and the price spikes up 4-5x. So I should be able to ship those two you mentioned for that weight I'd make sure by weighing a couple of my equivalent Criterions before I ordered.

With tax and shipping it'd be $48.90 for the two, assuming the weight.

If you wanted more, I could just ship multiple packages.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Hmm. Taxes are so much lower in the States it might actually be worth it. Something like The Seven Samurai would probably be too heavy, but the generic Criterion titles should fall under that weight limit. It all depends on the packaging and weight of the booklet. I'll think about it for a couple of days and get back to you.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

We have 7% state, no local tax. That's medium to slightly high. There are five states where you have zero sales tax, so when we did Playstation online group buys we'd pick out an address of a McDonald's in Delaware or Oregon.

If I can remember I'll weigh my Seven Samurai on our postage scale at work if that's one you may want.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I have to pay 5% GST and 7% PST, so it adds up quickly. Us poor folk get a big chunk of that back when we pay our yearly income tax, but it's still enough to make me think twice about luxury items like Criterion discs.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Not sure if Target does international orders but if you are a Target Circle member, you can redeem a Buy 1, Get 1 50% Off deal through August 1st (limit one per customer). They have the same Criterion prices as Amazon but I was able to get Wings of Desire and The Fugitive Kind for a little over $35 after tax.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I visited the Criterion website for the first time in years an they're now recommending a site called Unobstructed View for Canadian orders. They're having their own 40% off sale right now, and they offer free shipping in Canada for orders over $100, which is easy to reach with Criterions, so I think I'll try to order from them instead of Barnes & Noble or Amazon. Thanks for offering to help, though.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Great. Amazon pricematched the Bruce Lee set, so I grabbed that. I did really well getting $350 out of my OOP Shout set about a month before they announced the Criterion and the price tanked, so I feel I somehow owe it to the universe. https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Bruce-Le ... ray/72434/

I'm really missing driving over to my closest Barnes and Noble 70 miles away. I'd usually hit the BN and then go to the AMC that's much nicer than ours for a double feature.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

And today, Criterion announced an October release for their version of Parasite. Both versions are included with Dolby Atmos tracks.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

So it turns out that Unobstructed View is also the official distributor for Arrow Video in Canada, and they're having a 50% off sale for most Arrow titles as well, so I went a little nuts on my first order. I picked up all of the following for just over $300:

Criterion:
Ugetsu
Seven Samurai
Repulsion
Macbeth
Tess

Arrow:
Female Prisoner Scorpion Box Set
The Bloodthirsty Trilogy
The Taisho Trilogy
Deep Red

I've never seen any of those Arrow titles before, but they were all 50% off, plus a $10 flat fee for shipping boxed sets, so Female Prisoner Scorpion ended up costing about $60 while it's listed as $150 on Amazon, and I've seen it well over $100 in my local specialty video store. If it's half as good as Lady Snowblood it'll be worth it. And I figured it was time to snag those Polanski titles because it seems unlikely they'll ever get re-printed in our post-Cancel Culture world.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Shout Factory is releasing The Tenant with a new Polanski interview so I don't think his movies are being suppressed anytime soon. Also, Disney+ has the first X-Men in their August lineup and Bryan Singer is a similar case.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

His last two movies weren't even released in North America, so you can't tell me those weren't suppressed. And Byran Singer making X-Men movies isn't the same as an auteur like Polanski. It's super easy to watch an X-Men movie without ever thinking about who directed it.

That's good news about The Tenant, so I'll grab that one as soon as I can find it at a reasonable price, but when I looked at the Criterion website the other day I noticed he wasn't one of their Featured Directors in the search window, which seemed odd considering how many films he has in the collection.

There's also a Blu-Ray of The Fearless Vampire Killers that came out not long ago, and it's not hard to find Chinatown, Rosemary's Baby, or The Pianist if you want them, so maybe the home video market is considered niche enough that the purity police can't be bothered with it, but when Polanski passes away I can't imagine seeing any retrospectives in any of the art-house theatres in Vancouver.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Polanski refuses to sell An Officer and a Spy to a US distributor (and despite those Cesar wins that I'm sure were bought by the producers, got mixed reviews) while Based on a True Story got awful reviews and was shelved by Sony.

And I think Singer is comparable with all of the things about him. Also, he was somewhat of an auteur pre-X-Men with The Usual Suspects.

As retrospectives, I have a feeling the art will be separated from the artist once he kicks the bucket. Hell, I'm sure we'll hear about Polanski truthers in the same way that they are people who still think Kevin Spacey isn't a child molester.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I mean, haven't we seen Polanski "truthers" until the #metoo movement made it uncool? From "It's not 'rape' rape." To boisterous applause at awards wins. To "Well I didn't see anything when I worked with him."-type comments? And at least one documentary that basically said "Leave this poor man alone."

Say what you want, but the guy (spoiled for obscenity) drugged a 13 year old and anally raped her while she was crying for her mother. Then prints comments like "But… fucking, you see, and the young girls. Judges want to fuck young girls. Juries want to fuck young girls. Everyone wants to fuck young girls!"

Separate the art from the artist, sure. I'm not for suppressing or censoring art of any kind, but this guy isn't painting a picture, writing a book, or bankrolling his own stuff and doing every job on the lot. These movies aren't being made on his own. He has people in the industry working with and financially backing him. Less than a year after he fled they gave him today's equivalent of $42 million to make a film with the tagline: "She was born into a world where they called it seduction, not rape. What she did would shatter that world forever."

These people know who this man is, what he did, and are deciding they want to give him many opportunities that could go to someone who doesn't have a history of raping at least one child. I would not put any new movies of his out if I were a distributor for personal reasons and the possibility of backlash in today's (really only the past few years') society.

I loved The Pianist when I saw it. Rosemary's Baby and Chinatown both are great movies. I don't know how I'd feel if I watched them for the first time after I knew all this. If I saw his name and photo were plastered all over the Criterion Channel or whatnot, it would at the very least put me in a bad mood if not convince me to watch another service. I know Chaplin was pretty much 100% a guaranteed child predator as well, but for some reason it doesn't strike me the same way. Probably because we don't have details like we do in this case, maybe because it was so long ago.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

A good old fashioned debate! Looks like we'll need Six or someone to settle this.

On a lighter side, I watched Mr. & Mrs. Bridge last night on Hoopla and found that my theatre professor in college played Kyra Sedgwick's boyfriend. I also got a kick of how many times they mention Ward Parkway as I've been through there many times.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Yay, a debate!

It's not easy. I was literally chatting about this case earlier today.

There are so many issues to take into account.

It was a single issue. He hasn't been accused of doing the same since.
A huge amount of filmmakers support him
The woman who is part of all this settled and said she wished it was over

On the other hand

He did commit statuory rape, and seemingly co-orce a girl.
He also pursued her beyond the norm. And he was defended and protected.

It's a mess. All I know
is that I love Chinatown but hate Polanski.

Go figure