What Are You Watching Right Now? Episode 3 - Turtles in Time

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Geezer
Axel Foley

Re: What Are You Watching Right Now? Episode 3 - Turtles in

Post by Geezer »

I guess I was simply too bored by the lack of actual things happening or interesting characters to keep me engaged enough. None of the dialogue was engaging, and half the time it just seemed like they were trying to break the record for how many times the word "Fuck" was used.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Horses for courses I guess, but I thought some of the dialogue was superb, especially the interaction between Pitt and Jenkins and between Pitt and Gandolfini.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

To celebrate the DVD and Blu-ray release of one of the 2012's best:

Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

numbersix wrote:Horses for courses I guess, but I thought some of the dialogue was superb, especially the interaction between Pitt and Jenkins and between Pitt and Gandolfini.
Wait....what?
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I just found out that Kerry Conran (director of Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow) finally did a new project. Think of it as Forrest Gump but with a sci-fi/Hollywood slant.

Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I watched From the Hip this morning, a law comedy co-written by David E. Kelley (the script, by the way, led to him being hired by Fox to create L.A. Law). The film is a somewhat jarring mix of comedy and drama (the first half is strictly comedic, the second half is much more dramatic) but Judd Nelson is likeable in the film, Elizabeth Perkins is attractive as the main character's girlfriend and John Hurt does a great job as a murder suspect who claims he's innocent. The film also makes great use of the 2.40 aspect ratio, as Dante Spinotti (one of my favorite cinematographers) films the action with full width. Don't try watching this film in full screen as you'll lose a lot of information.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Yesterday morning, I watched Blink starring Madeleine Stowe and Aidan Quinn, which is about a blind fiddler who gets an eye transplant and becomes a witness to a murder in her apartment building. However, finding the killer is difficult since spending 20 years blind has left her with a delayed reaction in her vision. Stowe is beautiful and entertaining as the lead while Quinn makes for an interesting male lead. But the highlight of the film is the atmosphere. Dante Spinotti's cinematography makes for a dark and moody vision (most of the film takes place at night), which is increased with the Chicago location shoots and the point-of-view shots are extremely well-done (these scenes are also very disorienting and may be too weird for some but wow, these are brilliantly-made sequences). Michael Apted is a jack-of-all-trades and here, he does the thriller genre well.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Harold and Maude: 7/10
Thanks to Surfer and Helena for the recommendation. It's a very quirky and frothy movie that seems to be hugely inspirational to Wes Anderson. Here, a young man (teen? The actor looks 12 but has the voice of a 30-year old) who seems bored living under the wing of his affluent mother strikes up a friendship with a carefree 70-year-old. It's all about embracing life and having fun outside of the rules of normality, as shown by a series of amusing episodes. It's a gentle, amusing film that perhaps doesn't hit as deep as Anderson's best work does, but nevertheless it has charm.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Harold and maude is a film I genuinely love. I remember when I first saw it was on the cable when I was 21 or 22, the film was broadcasted a week later and I watched it again.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Can anyone let me know if Not Fade Away is a good buy or not? I'm considering picking it up tomorrow. From the creator of the Sopranos and about a 60s rock band has me intrigued.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

It's not worth your time. Stick to Almost Famous.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I was thinking more That Thing You Do! (One of my fa orites) from the description.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Not Fade Away is dull and very pretentious. The characters are unlikeable and uninteresting (and the 1960's Greenwich Village beatnik archetype has been done a million times, not to mention the family drama plot about a straight-laced parent and bohemian child).

Apparently, I read somewhere that the film was supposed to be about a girl group instead of a bunch of Bob Dylan wannabes. That would have been a far more interesting film that what we got.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Pitch Perfect 7/10
Somewhat enjoyable film. The jokes were solid, but the musical numbers (except for the finale) we're tedious. I'm sure if I enjoyed musicals I would've absolutely loved it, but even my hatred of all things musical didn't deter me from enjoying this film.

Sinister 7.5/10
The first good straight horror film in quite some time. There's some legitimate suspense, a good story and a strong performance from Ethan Hawke. There were a lot of complaints about the ending, but it makes sense with the rest of the film. The ending isn't perfect, but it's not nearly as stupid as the final act of Insidious. I'm glad that there was finally an enjoyable American horror film made, the genre might not be entirely dead after all!

Texas Chainsaw 5/10
Not as bad as expected. There's some good kills and hilarious moments, but it's still too dumb to be enjoyable and the ending is absolutely horrendous.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Gangster Squad - D

BOOOOOOOORING. Just give me more Ryan Gosling/Emma Stone and leave everything else on the cutting room floor.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife