What Are You Watching Right Now? Episode 3 - Turtles in Time

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Re: What Are You Watching Right Now? Episode 3 - Turtles in

Post by Chienfantome »

I think the only one I've seen of the bunch is Dead Again, and I like it, so I'd recommend it.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

I started Spotswood, but the VHS was in really bad shape, so i put on Dead Again but got distracted, but its in decent quality.

Anyway, caught a couple other movies

A Single Man
I used to really dislike Colin Firth, not really sure why. But after Kingsman, Firth aint so bad after all. About a gay teacher, who loses his partner (Matthew Goode) to a car accident, set in the 60s i think. Its actually not a bad movie. Firth decides fairly quickly that he's going to end his life after feeling more and more unhappy. Julianne Moore and Nicholas Hoult co-star with Lee Pace in a brief minor role.
6/10

A Serious Man
I actually wanted to watch this movie (not the film above) but got the names mixed up (both from 2009) and watched em both (not a bad thing in the end). Michael Stuhlbarg (Boardwalk Empire) plays a maths professor and various events unfold around him and nothing seems to go right. Those around him don't make things better and he struggles to cope, Stuhlbarg strives to find answers to his questions. Its also a bit of a look into the Jewish life in the 60s. Theres plenty of ambiguity mainly the start and the end, which didn't make all that much sense. I think Stuhlbarg played his part really well, though somehow, i expected better from the Coens, but thats easy to say when you've just finished watching The Big Lebowski.
6.5/10
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

last week The Big Lebowski got rereleased here in Paris and was screened in a few cinemas. I couldn't resist to go see it once more, as I hadn't seen it on a big screen since its release in spring '98. I don't remember which spot it had in my Top 100, but I'm pretty sure after saturday night's re-re-re-rewatching, in one of my favourite cinemas, it is in my Top 20, easily.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Chienfantome wrote:last week The Big Lebowski got rereleased here in Paris and was screened in a few cinemas. I couldn't resist to go see it once more, as I hadn't seen it on a big screen since its release in spring '98. I don't remember which spot it had in my Top 100, but I'm pretty sure after saturday night's re-re-re-rewatching, in one of my favourite cinemas, it is in my Top 20, easily.
It wasn't in my top 100 when we did it before, but it's steadily climbed since I've watched it maybe 10 times since then and is now a top 20 title to me as well.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I have the same experience. Every time I watch it, it climbs up the list. It's in my top 10 now. Better and better every single time.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I'm glad to know all the love we all have for The Dude and his friends :D
Fluctuat nec mergitur

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I've tried to watch it twice now.... :roll:

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

undeadmonkey wrote:I've tried to watch it twice now....
How dare you.... ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Chienfantome wrote:
undeadmonkey wrote:I've tried to watch it twice now....
How dare you.... ;)
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

:lol:
Fluctuat nec mergitur

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Exodus: Gods and Kings 2/10
This is one of the most boring, disjointed and poorly-acted movies I've ever seen. I spent the first hour or so waiting for the narrative to gain some traction, but around the 90-minute mark I realized this film was going nowhere and it was going to forever to do so. I hate to say it but I'm starting to think Ridley Scott's days as a relevant director are over.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

joel edgerton was pretty good, batman was another story though

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Catching up on some horror flicks. Tis the season, after all.

From Beyond: 4/10
I was curious to see how a Lovecraft story can be adapted into a feature length. I was disappointed by this film, which tried to be serious yet had some atrocious acting, poor SFX, laughable lines, and a strange desire to have the lead female get horny every now and then and eventually don some bondage gear. There are some good ideas in there (it's about accessing another layer of existence that lives on top of ours, but once it "sees" us the world becomes hostile), but ultimately it's far too silly for its own good.

Re-Animator: 5/10
From the same team as From Beyond, but this earlier film works a lot better. This on'es about a doctor who figures out how to reanimate dead people. The tongue is firmly placed in the cheek and it feels more like a Raimi film at times, even though the acting and dialogue is still appalling. Surely film can do better with Lovecraft than this.

The House of the Devil: 6/10

A regular appearance in lists of the best horrors of this century, and I can see why. Ti West's modest film is seriously influenced by the classics of the 70s and 80s. Perhaps too much so, with its cheesy rock soundtrack and grainy film stock adding an unwelcome layer of irony. But once the story kicks in (a college student takes on a babysitting job the night of a lunar eclipse), the tension is nicely built through atmosphere rather than jolts or gore, and for the large part it works quite well. It's derivative, but the director certainly knows the rules well.
Last edited by numbersix on October 29th, 2015, 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

A while back, I revisited The House of the Devil and that movie really does not hold up. It tries to be like a film from the 80's but ends up feeling more like a Duplass Brothers movie.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

The big problem with House Of The Devil is that virtually nothing happens for the first hour. There's a big difference between building tension and killing time, and this movie falls more into the latter. The final act is pretty intense, but it ultimately feels like a short film stretched out to feature length.

I much prefered his follow-up, The Innkeepers.