What Are You Watching Right Now? Episode 3 - Turtles in Time

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: What Are You Watching Right Now? Episode 3 - Turtles in

Post by Buscemi2 »

I joined a film club and attended the first meeting tonight. I wasn't too impressed. All it consisted of was getting our membership and being told Loving Vincent (a movie chosen only because a few people who missed it during its month-and-a-half run here wouldn't stop requesting it) would be the first movie shown. I'm not too impressed with either for the first two choices (the second is My Friend Dahmer, another movie chosen for the exact same reason).

The clientele wasn't too impressive either. I met someone who worked on You're Next and his friend but they came off as conceited after a while (though we agreed that the Death Wish remake wasn't worth it). The rest of the people there just seemed to be Facebook types who only watch what other Facebook people want to watch (mostly overhyped films and what's on cable).

I guess I had a different idea of things (I was hoping for discussions and film criticism about the Janus library or theory or trends) but I'll attend next week just because.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I attended a screening of Real Genius tonight, which was part of a series curated by Ernest Cline (author of Ready Player One) via Alamo Drafthouse. This is another one of those funny college comedies that couldn't get made today, not just because of the wacky hijinks but because it's also perfectly acceptable viewing for audiences under 12. In a way, the film is somewhat of a cross between Bachelor Party (same writers and the theme of easily relatable characters fighting the status quo) and Meatballs (the mentor-student relationship that serves as the emotional core, surrounded by all the fun stuff), wrapped up in the sci-fi comedy subgenre that was big in 1985. But also, it's an intelligent movie that really isn't made anymore. Science and technology aren't depicted as evil but rather the people who misuse it. The good guys use it for fun, the bad guys use it for power. And it's hard to believe there was a time when Val Kilmer was one of the funniest actors in film. But personally, my favorite characters were Jordan, the hyperactive insomniac (I actually knew someone who was like this, only she was a theatre major) and Lazlo, the hermit who uses his smarts to win contests (apparently based on a real-life Caltech student who did a lot of the same things Lazlo does).

The print shown was a nice-looking DCP that may or may not be the basis for the current BD-R (a title I'd buy if it wasn't $27 and known for failing after a few watches). Before the movie were three trailers (Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, Solo: A Star Wars Story, Ready Player One), a no talking policy trailer with Val Kilmer, a live intro by an employee/Kilmer superfan, and a filmed intro by Ernest Cline.

There are four or five other movies being shown in this series but I'll be out of town for most of them and Back to the Future sold out. I will be attending the last one though (The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension).

Lastly, I had a bizarre fear before this screening. I was afraid of the old TriStar pegasus at the beginning of a lot of these movies (such as this one or Labyrinth or Terminator 2). But this time, I wasn't scared. Maybe because I'm not five or six anymore.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Watched a few over the weekend....

Saving Mr Banks
Better than expected (actually not sure what i expected), Emma Thompson gives a fine performance as the lady from England who invented Mary Poppins, P.L Travers. Though the cast is well rounded; Tom Hanks per usual, Paul Giamatti, Bradley Whitford, Jason Schwartman, Aussie Rachel Griffiths but really stealing the show is Colin Farrell in what i'd say is his best small role featured in flashbank scenes from Travers' childhood in Australia. Its a nice look at the clash between rising money america in the 50s to the old mannered style from England
7/10

Side Effects
Better than expected (expected less tbh), about a film where Rooney Mara's character is experiencing some "Side Effects"- her doctor prescribed her these new antidepressants after a forced car accident. Jude Law is her psych doctor, Channing Tatum her husband just out of jail and Catherine Zeta Jones her former psych doctor. The film starts off slowly and turns things on its head when Law is losing his job, i wont go into why. It finishes off pretty well and i thoroughly enjoyed it.
7/10

In Her Skin
Better than expected (surprisingly) indie Sci-Fi/Mystery about an alien in Scar-Jo's body. Instead of concentrating on where why how this alien comes from it focuses on the interactions between alien and human, in this case a bunch of Irish lads lured by the idea of sex. The final stanza is nicely done as it ties the film up neatly after a fairly slow moving plot and that itself is quite limited. I thought i wouldn't enjoy it very much which is why i only watched it now, but it held up thankfully.
7/10

Mr Popper's Penguins
Crappy glossy dumb fun movie where Jim Carreys businessman adopts 6 penguins interrupting his slick city lifestyle. Way too many "insert joke here" moments and not even Carrey's wacky showing can save this sometimes cringe worthy family flick. Not even good for families
2.5/10

Religulous
Now this was interesting. Bill Maher's take on religion is apt and bold, it offers his opinion on how religion is slowing down the modern society (rational people doing irrational things aka killing)- which i tend to agree with. However, instead of delving deeper into the mindset of each religion, Maher more or less just accepts he can't change things and makes fun of them. Not bad though
6/10

Drag Me to Hell
From Sam Riami, this newish horror flick with a slice of his Evil Dead brand of humor was pretty good. About a girl who refusing an old lady an extension on her home loan, who then gets a curse from old lady when she is shamed. Thats the movie in a nutshell but with Riami injecting a refreshing vibe of comedy every now and then it doesnt feel like the everyday horror movie. I enjoyed it.
6.5/10

Transsiberian
Woody Harrelson and Emily Mortimer are an American couple on the title's train. They share a room with a couple who bring some obvious "extra" baggage. Predictable at times but not completely boring with some decent characters. Just the ho-hum story gets the rushed ending treatment and tries hard to give you the "even bad/formerly bad guys can be good sometimes" and vice versa message and im not buying it. Ben Kinglsey has a minor role.
5/10

Eat Pray Love
I know what you're thinking, I must have been reeeally bored to watch this and yeah, i was, that or ive had a sex change and aged 20 years last week. Julia Roberts middle age crisis meets hopscotch love affairs. Decent cast though, which included James Franco, Richard Jenkins, Viola Davis and Javier Bardem. But yeah, this is aimed for single women in their 40s. Not highly recommended even for the targets.
3.5/10

Rewatched a few too, but not limited to:

Her
Really solid movie, i liked how the genders swap parts in terms of dating. Joaquin Phoenix proves he's one of the best actors going round and Scar Jo more than just a pretty face but a pretty voice too.
7.5/10

Sneakers
Probably ahead of its time in the way the film says information can bring the world down. It has aged a little bit with the way they hack but otherwise its still fun, smart and entertaining- just not as smart as it thinks it is all the time.
7.5/10

Sleepers
Boy oh boy, did i remember this was good? Well i must have been half asleep or just watching Kevin Bacon (the only who doesn't phone it in here), Bacon gives an impressive snarky and remorseless performance. The others Jason Patric (once upon a time a budding star), Robert De Niro (putting on his good guy face and getting ready for 20+ years of this type of performance), Dustin Hoffman (must have been cashing in 8 years still from Rain Man and stuck in Rain Man mode), Minnie Driver (terrible accent, poor acting) and Brad Pitt (there to do nothing but look good)- whose character is shallow and uninventive- are less than impressive. The plot is meandering and unintelligent, i really disliked it when Brad Pitts lawyer hatches a half brained plan to crucify those that started this whole thing and just expecting the audience to follow without any substance. The "good times" bronx rascals didn't do it for me either, it felt like an overly long goodfellas scene, flashing back numerous annoying times. Just bad stuff all round.
3/10
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ron Burgundy wrote:W

In Her Skin
Better than expected (surprisingly) indie Sci-Fi/Mystery about an alien in Scar-Jo's body. Instead of concentrating on where why how this alien comes from it focuses on the interactions between alien and human, in this case a bunch of Irish lads lured by the idea of sex.
Scottish!

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Oh, yeah, i knew that ;)

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

And for that mistake, you must bow to the patron saint of Scotland.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Although confusingly that film was shot in Ireland.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Went to a showing of The Fugitive tonight. It seems like the American film industry has forgotten to make a really good action film because this is still perhaps one of the best (it's also probably the best film adaptation of a TV show). It's thrilling, exciting, and never boring. Also, this is a film that needs to be seen in the theatre to get the full effect, especially with the beautiful DCP currently circulating. And the sound (the original 5.1 mix) can still rock an auditorium as well as a new movie can.

The film also got a good pre-show filled with trailers (Suspicion, Clear and Present Danger, Air Force One, The Wrong Man, Witness), clips from two Harrison Ford films (American Graffiti and Patriot Games), and a remix of Tommy Lee Jones eating an ice cream bar. Three more trailers (Mission: Impossible - Fallout, Solo: A Star Wars Story, Venom) were shown before the movie.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I attended a screening of The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension tonight. The last of the Ernest Cline-curated series (there was a brief filmed introduction before the screening), I never expected to see this film on the big screen. Fox essentially dumped the film during its Summer 1984 release but its audience grew through home video and television. Now with MGM handling theatrical rights, the film has transcended to the present with new DCP's. The transfer looked to be the same as the MGM DVD but in HD, of course (I have the Blu-ray but haven't watched it for comparison).

But the main reason why I attended this showing was for the audience participation. A sold out crowd of over 100 were into it, shooting cap guns whenever someone got shot, getting glowing necklaces (red for Red Lectroids, blue for Black Lectroids, I got red) and parachuting army men figures to time when Buckaroo Banzai escapes the ship during the climax. An employee even appeared as a Lectroid with some pre-movie questions (I pretty much got them all).

Favorite character: John Bigboote (Bigboo-tay! Tay! Tay!)

Also shown were seven trailers (Teenagers from Outer Space, Message from Space, Plan 9 from Outer Space, Robot Monster, Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse, Solo: A Star Wars Story, and Avengers: Infinity War).

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

I re-watched The Fugitive a few weeks ago (probably seen it about 10 times at least now), i'd love to see it in cinema.

You see, this is what is missing in Australia, showing awesome movies from the 80s and 90s, sometimes rarely seen even on home video (i had to imdb search buckaroo banzai, good little cast, very interesting premise, sounds like right up my alley). I would go to these type of screening weekly no doubt.
But simple fact is that there aint such a thing close to where i used to live, big city, small town, would only show the new blockbusters and/or indie award bait (recently went to see The Killing of a Sacred Deer in a small time cinema-first time i went to an indie cinema in Perth). Besides that, tickets are ridiculously expensive, popcorn is proportionally worse, you cant buy alcohol or hot food in most cinemas and if you can you have to buy an exclusive seat (which aren't often in better view).
The Drive-Ins which i went to a couple of times before they came virtually extinct are gone, replaced with pop up "Outdoor cinemas" where you can purchase crappy wine without a lid/cap/cork and spend a good chunk of your movie trying to find your spot once you've gone to que up for the port-a-loo.
Oh and ive also NEVER been to a movie where the audience participates in anything but laughing and the very rare end of movie clap. Hmm, maybe i should go to america just to go see a few movies in some of the best cinemas...

Sometimes i wish there were better cinemas here, its no wonder our film industry fails on so many levels, people can't even enjoy what people in the US or Europe can for half the price without travelling days. Having said that, films in general have been on a downward slide for the last what, 10 years now?

And we only have 1 season of game of thrones left :(

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Tickets aren't the cheapest for revivals here either ($12-15 at the Drafthouse, $9 at the local non-profit arthouse, I almost saw the director's cut of Amadeus last week at the latter) but watching an old movie with an appreciative audience is one of the most fun experiences imaginable. And because the shows almost always sell out (they might actually outgross new movies on most nights), more and more are getting scheduled (the next two months will be a barrage between the two theatres that book older movies).

Next month, I have tickets bought for Life of Brian, The Sandlot, Vertigo, and Blazing Saddles and plan to buy tickets for Wayne's World and The Jerk in the next few days. Also, a free showing of Buster Keaton's The General is happening in mid-April. I'll have to get up early for that.

And in May, there's going to be a Coen Brothers series with a rare screening of O Brother, Where Art Thou? (Disney will only book rep showings in certain situations) and a free showing of Back to the Future (a 35mm screening happened earlier this week but tickets went fast). And who knows what the Drafthouse will have (I don't think they'll book Salo though, which was one of the two films I suggested for the Film Club I'm part of as the May theme is classic horror).

Next time I go to New York, I want to hit up the remodeled Quad Cinema. One screen is devoted to revivals (similar to the Film Forum) and they'll run 4-5 older movies a day. And I hope the New Beverly finishes remodeling soon (rumors suggest a September re-opening). I really want to visit Los Angeles again and that's going to be a major stop for me.

Lastly, I had a pizza during the movie (free coupon for being Top Brass). Decent size for a personal, nicely seasoned and spiced. I've read the Carnivore is quite good but pepperoni's fine by me.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Double Lover – 6/10

This is only the second Francois Ozon film I've ever seen, and much like Swimming Pool this feels like a missed opportunity. In both cases, Ozon falls short of the artists he's trying to emulate, first Patricia Highsmith and now Brian DePalma. Even in the latter's lesser films, he brings an energy and sense of humour that could made an absurd story like this a guilty pleasure instead of a rather dry and forgettable experience, despite the provocative sex scenes. Ozon's main gift seems to be for convincing beautiful French actresses to get naked on camera, but that's never been overly difficult to begin with. And unreliable narrators can be used to great effect, but here it ultimately becomes an excuse for an undisciplined, nonsensical script.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Double Lover probably is the worst film Ozon has ever made. While he's a really good filmmaker. You need to watch other films of his, the really good ones. "Time to leave", "5X2", "In the house", "The new girlfriend", "Frantz"...
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I saw Monty Python's Life of Brian tonight. From both times I've seen the film, I've never understood why the religious community got so hung up about it. Brian's not the Messiah! He's just someone who happened to be there at the same time as Christ. In addition, the humor is not at all blasphemous but rather it's making fun of the absurdities of that time frame. And even though Brian dies, it's still somewhat of a cheery ending. Maybe they had a problem with the full frontal nudity, I don't know. My favorite moment has to be the "big nose" bit early on but Biggus Dickus is quite good too (and Graham Chapman was quite studly as Biggus).

The film was projected from a Blu-ray (surprised by the lack of DCP's, especially since it was restored in the early 2000's). Outside of some obvious frame stuttering (I wonder if a PAL source was used instead of a 35mm one), it looked good on a big screen. Three trailers for some lame-looking comedies (Action Point, Blockers, and Deadpool 2) were shown.

Also, there was some entertainment during the movie when someone spotted a mouse in the theatre (I think it looked at me but I certainly spotted him). The employees controlling the theatre had to search. I think they got in under control (it's been raining a lot here lately and at least it wasn't a big one).

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Tonight, I went to a mouse-free showing of The Sandlot. This was another audience participation screening but the audience wasn't at the level of Buckaroo Banzai. Audiences got a keychain and a package of Big League Chew as well as a noisemaker to let off during the 4th of July sequence. There was also a little home run derby before the movie with some of the kids in attendance.

The DCP used is perhaps one of the best-looking I've seen for an older movie. Unlike some other scope movies I've seen in repertory, this looked like a new movie. Fox must have had a pristine 35mm copy in their vaults when transferring the film to HD. The audio (which was remixed to 5.1 in the DVD days before getting a lossless mix for Blu-ray) is clearer than I've ever heard it. In addition, five trailers (The Bad News Bears, The Big Green, Eighth Grade, Wreck-It Ralph 2, and Fantastic Beasts 2), an old MGM cartoon, a TV performance of The Lion Sleeps Tonight, and different vintage commercials with baseball players were shown.

Favorite character: it used to be The Great Hambino but nowadays, it's Bertram and his encouragement for the others to use chaw before riding the Tilt-a-Whirl.

Up next: Wayne's World and The Jerk on back-to-back nights next week. A double feature showing of the Super Troopers movies will happen on Thursday afternoon but I'm not sure on that one yet.