What Are You Watching Right Now? Episode 3 - Turtles in Time

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: What Are You Watching Right Now? Episode 3 - Turtles in

Post by Buscemi2 »

The film Aaron Sorkin always tries to write but can't come close. The dialogue is rapid-fire but unlike a Sorkin script that just seems to say, "Yeah, I'm going to get another statue", the fast pace and emphasis on strong characters triumph over the typical Sorkin example of a premise that comes in like a wrecking ball but leaves like a millstone. It's also funny and Rosalind Russell carries the film on her shoulders and glorious wardrobe. Cary Grant and Ralph Bellamy are good too. There's also a reason why Howard Hawks is one of the most well-known Golden Age filmmakers. Not many filmmakers are known for being versatile but Hawks could direct comedy as well as he could with westerns and dramas. You don't see that nowadays. Filmmakers get pigeonholed in one genre and don't get much of a chance to try something different. Sure, they may be a point some of the time but maybe we could stand to be surprised.

Also, this is the first time I've seen this film not be from a terrible public domain print. It looked quite good on the big screen (I'm not sure if this was the same master Criterion used for their release).

Up next: Planes, Trains and Automobiles.
Last edited by Buscemi2 on November 19th, 2018, 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I'm a huge Howard Hawks fan. His comedies are some of the best Hollywood has ever produced.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Though people (mainly ones who peaked in the 80's and spend every waking moment trying to relive them) gravitate towards The Breakfast Club being the best John Hughes film, I would say 99 times out of 100 that it's actually Planes, Trains and Automobiles (the other one time would be Uncle Buck). Hughes did his best work once he matured and got out of trying to understand people much younger than him (probably because you can't expect to get different results every time you cast Anthony Michael Hall). The late 80's phase of Hughes is his peak and this is the best example of it. Steve Martin basically plays all of us when we are stuck in a terrible travel situation. Neal Page is the audience surrogate and Martin plays him to perfection. He's the guy we are too scared to become in this event but know that deep down inside, he's doing the talking. And John Candy is brilliant as Del. He's the guy that we hate to be around but because we are watching it unfold, we can't help but laugh. Candy did his best film work with Hughes and Hughes was able to show his layers as an actor. We lost both too soon.

There haven't been too many movies about Thanksgiving but this seems to be the go-to for everyone. I also recommend Broadway Danny Rose for Turkey Day goodness.

Up next: Blood Rage (aka Nightmare at Shadow Woods).

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

PTA is way better than the Breakfast Club. Anyone who says different deserves a smack. Although surely Ferris Bueller is the one most people prefer?

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I've actually discovered PTA quite recently, like a couple of years ago, and it was fun indeed.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

You aren't familiar with Americans who grew up in the 80's, Six (even if you weren't alive then, they always love to remind you about the era). They love the shit out of The Breakfast Club. There's a reason why it's always referenced in things.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Aka Nightmare in Shadow Woods aka Slasher (the on-screen title of the DCP I saw). This is one of the few Thanksgiving slashers and in a way could be the best Friday the 13th film that never was. Unlike some horror movies, this is one that exists solely to show off kills (even though the Man in the Iron Mask but it's a horror film premise is interesting). Well, that and to make you wonder how much cocaine was Louise Lasser using when she made this film (she's seriously in her own world while everyone else plays things straight).

Anyway, as a straight horror film, it's okay. But as a camp film, it's a complete success. Terry Simmons is a well-realized villain based on how unhinged he is. You can't completely take him seriously but that's part of the fun. If this hadn't come out before the fifth or sixth Friday the 13th films (though it was shot before those), you'd think the Jasons in those films was based on him. And a lot of it is just so strange that it gives it another quality not seen in some of these alleged cult films of the era. I'd love to imagine how audiences would have responded to this back in 1987.

Up next: Grumpy Old Men.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

This might be the most true-to-life comic book adaptation ever made (outside of American Splendor, of course). The characters actually feel like people I know (that Enid is a fashion icon, let me tell you), the general hopelessness of the story gives it a down-to-earth feel (it also makes it an interesting counterpart to Fight Club or a more depressing Rushmore), and the events are things you won't be seeing in Black Panther 2 or Justice League 2. This also might be the last remnant of 90's culture in cinema (as well as Thora Birch's career, imagine had she not gotten so attached to her father and made herself unhirable in the process). Despite coming out in summer 2001, it feels like a leftover from the previous decade (in fact, Daniel Clowes started serializing the story in 1993).

I wonder if a film like Ghost World could be made today but most likely, it wouldn't work. The most recent Clowes adaptation (Wilson) was a disaster, Terry Zwigoff hasn't directed a film in 12 years, and the newest film with similar elements (Never Goin' Back) was a bomb with cliches as characters. The depiction of teenage characters veered too far in the other direction with Mean Girls and we're forever stuck with retreads of that and The Breakfast Club.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Is there a word for comedic film noir? Because I think this one fits. Part crime film, part screwball comedy, this isn't at the level of some of Sturges' other peak films but it's still a charming film on the strength of its performances. While watching, you can't help but be reminded by Double Indemnity (though it came three years later) only funny. And Henry Fonda's comedic skills are not often talked about but he did physical comedy well. I kind of wish the snake had more screen time though.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I've usually been more familiar with the sequel (with Sophia Loren joining the cast) and as a result, I'd forgotten this one was an enjoyable comedy with two screen legends sparing in wars of words and pranks. The plot is your typical love triangle plot but you mainly watch a film like this one for the gags and the excellent cast. It's an entertaining ride.

I wonder how the announced remake with Eddie Murphy will turn out, assuming it ever gets made.

Up next: The Shawshank Redemption.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

It's been said that if you hate a certain flavor-of-the-week, you have no soul. They are wrong. But if you hate The Shawshank Redemption, you really have no soul. Many films try to move the viewer but few can like this one. It's both a touching story of hope and a brutal depiction of the prison system. It's also perhaps the best adaptation of a Stephen King story. Frank Darabont, making his theatrical directorial debut (he'd directed a TV movie before this one), has the skill of someone who had done ten films and his cast is excellent. Darabont also understands something that a lot of today's debut filmmakers don't understand: pacing. Despite a 142 minute run time, it doesn't feel long at all.

I wonder if this is required viewing in film school. Because it should be instead of those Joe Swanberg egofests I'm sure get used instead.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I'm convinced this influenced a lot of French films. Though known best for Marilyn's scene with the vents, it's actually an interesting film about infidelity and obsession but told in a more comedic matter. Billy Wilder wasn't happy with all of the changes the Hays Code forced and later called it a lesser film of his but I think said changes give the film a darker tone that makes Richard (Tom Ewell's character) a more sinister figure. The sub-genre of "love makes you do stupid things" is plentiful but this one has a little something more to it.

It's one of the best Marilyn Monroe film (that's Some Like it Hot) but there's a reason why this is one of the more regarded films of hers.

Up next: Gremlins.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The new restoration is gorgeous. The 4K remastering really highlights Janusz Kaminski's cinematography and seeing this masterpiece on the big screen gets you to really notice the work Spielberg put into the story and showing the horrors of Nazi-controlled Poland. This might also have Liam Neeson's best performance. It's funny that before he became this big action star, he was much more subtle and could really put work into performances. If not for Tom Hanks that year, he might have won an Oscar.

And to show how powerful this film is, the film runs over three hours but you wouldn't need to cut one frame for it to work. Spielberg keeps you interested in Oskar Schindler's story and the terror around him.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Yeah, I just saw the Schindler’s List remaster in Dolby. It was crisp and gorgeous. There are just so many iconic and great shots in this film. One of the best and most important movies to see. It didn’t require CGI, massive explosions, or even color to hold your attention for near three and a half hours.

I though Fiennes deserves Best supporting for the role of Goethe. For my money, maybe the best villain in the history of cinema. He just murders people because he can and he enjoys the power he has over the decision. I mean that scene with his morning routine... Wake up, shoot a Jew, stretch, take a piss while arguing with your wife about who’s making the coffee... Darth Vader and Hannibal Lecter aren’t that evil.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

From a film directed by Steven Spielberg to a film he produced. It's funny to me how this one scared so many children when it came out (because of this one and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, we now have PG-13) because I always liked it for Gizmo and watched it and its sequel many times. Maybe I always viewed it more for the comedic elements than the horror elements. And yes, the bad gremlins are some of the most evil creatures in a film. I can't think of some of the beloved villains of the screen doing what these little monsters did here. And yet it's amusing and fun to watch them do it. A lot of these films' success is the over-the-top nature they live in. It might also have some of the best use of the Dutch angle as Joe Dante is fully aware that he's something in the tone of pop art. Much like Creepshow from two years earlier, it's a comic book come to life.

And now I'm beginning to realize how many Joe Dante movies I used to watch all the time (both Gremlins, Innerspace, The 'burbs, Matinee, and Small Soldiers I recall having many watches in the VCR).

Up next: Lethal Weapon.