The ReelSociety of Film Critics Awards 2009

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

W
Norman Bates

Re: The ReelSociety of Film Critics Awards 2009

Post by W »

I don't think I'm going to watch Observe and Report for our quasi-Oscars... lol
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Of the movies which some of you may not have already seen I can promote Drag Me To Hell and Dead Snow, both highly amusing horror movies, as well as the Coen's A Serious Man, and six's nominations Moon and In The Loop. I also loved Mother (Madeo) a brilliant murder mystery from the director of The Host and a companion piece to his earlier Memories Of Murder, but can I include this as it has just received a US release, although it was released last July in NZ?

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I think you have to try and remember it for next year.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

W wrote:I don't think I'm going to watch Observe and Report for our quasi-Oscars... lol
But Seth Rogen did a great job in it. It was nothing like his other performances.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

i think this is a lock for me:
Best Actor - Sam Rockwell (Moon)

and i had to wrack my brain to think of anyone at all for this category... this is the best i came up with:
Best Actress - Amy Adams (Sunshine Cleaning)... but i suppose the girl from Inglourious Basterds is probably more deserving--i just have a hard time assessing a performance that is mostly in a foreign language
W wrote:I don't think I'm going to watch Observe and Report for our quasi-Oscars... lol
prolly won't make a difference, but O&R is in my top 10 for the year
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I'll certainly be seconding Sam Rockwell for Moon- excellent performance(s). And interestingly part of the reason Moon is getting snubbed by the oscars is because they didn't want to risk sending out screeners that would inevitably be ripped and placed online (though I think it was already easily available to download from September onwards!).

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Interestingly enough, Moon was originally intended as a straight to DVD release (since it was produced by Sony's video division, Stage 6).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

frendo
Marty McFly

Post by frendo »

I would also place Observe and Report in my top 10. And Amy Adams is a good choice for Sunshine Cleaning, although the performances in Inglorious Basterds were deserving as well. I also thought Kristen Stewart did a fine job in Adventureland, Ellen Page was great in Whip It, Zooey was fantastic in (500) Days, and Alison Lohman was awesome in Drag Me to Hell.

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

frendo wrote:I would also place Observe and Report in my top 10. And Amy Adams is a good choice for Sunshine Cleaning, although the performances in Inglorious Basterds were deserving as well. I also thought Kristen Stewart did a fine job in Adventureland, Ellen Page was great in Whip It, Zooey was fantastic in (500) Days, and Alison Lohman was awesome in Drag Me to Hell.
While I really enjoyed Whip It, Ellen Page was basically herself, there wasn't really anything award-worthy about her performance in my opinion. Next year this may change with Inception, I very strongly suspect she will do great in that, and I still think her performance in Hard Candy was brilliant and it probably should have gotten major awards, but not this.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

frendo
Marty McFly

Post by frendo »

She was great in Hard Candy, and An American Crime. If you haven't seen the latter, you should check it out.

What I loved about Whip It was that she gave a very feministic portrayal that wasn't just giving a girl standard boy-ish personality features. It was a feministic performance that kept it's femininity, if you will : ).

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

frendo wrote:She was great in Hard Candy, and An American Crime. If you haven't seen the latter, you should check it out.

What I loved about Whip It was that she gave a very feministic portrayal that wasn't just giving a girl standard boy-ish personality features. It was a feministic performance that kept it's femininity, if you will : ).
What, like quoting Mary Wollstonecraft while spending the entire movie topless?

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

I don't get all the praise for Observe and Report i found it to be alright. One of the weaker films i saw this year imo.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

So, should we have watched everything we want to see by Jan 25th or Feb 8th?

Sucks either way, 'cause A Serious Man (which I haven't seen) isn't out on DVD until Feb 9th.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I wouldn't worry. Surely there are enough on here with some sense to nominate it before you get a chance to see it.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Ah, good point!