Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I've heard some people have say that this year has been a weak movie-wise, but it's actually been huge box office wise and personally i think it's been pretty good quality wise, as well. This past weekend the box office beat the record held by 2007 and we still have 3 weekends left for the domestic box office to reach $1 Billion in sales. Anyways, that's not really what this post is about, 2009 is almost over, and it's time to look ahead. What films are y'all most looking forward to? (yay, more lists :) )

1.The Chronicles of Narnia:The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Have loved the books since i was little. I loved the first film. I really liked the second film, it didnt feel as magical as the first, but if you have read the books you understand that it was supposed to feel less magical. I think Dawn Treader will return to form though, It's my favorite book of the series and it could translate very well to the screen. I am kinda worried about it being in Fox's hands, hopefully they dont have too much say because Fox just does not have good luck with big budget films. Fingers crossed

2. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
It's the beginning of the end, i think it's pretty amazing for a series to keep its fans interest this long, and i think it speaks about the quality of it. there were a few minor missteps i felt, I didnt really like Order of the Pheonix, felt it was a bit of a throw away movie, I didnt think it advanced the plot all that much. Half Blood Prince was all right but it kind of seemed like the were just setting it up for the deathly hallows. I just hope this one isnt more setting up for the last one more for the last one. i'm ready for drama!

3. Iron Man 2
I dont seem to be as big a fan of the first as most people are. Most people were giving it 10/10, which i didnt think it was perfect but dont get me wrong, I really liked it and I am looking forward to the next one.

4.Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
I was a big fan of the game when i played it back when it came out. Throughout the whole time I was playing, I kept thinking 'wow, this would make a great movie'. A couple of years later and here it is. I was a somewhat concerned when I heard that Gyllenhall was going to play him and I'm not that big a fan of Arterton. Also when the trailer came out it didnt really ease my worry, but I still want to see it. I think the concept is really strong and they might just be able to pull it off.

5. Alice in Wonderland
So far I've liked everything of Burtons. I think he's a genius, and this just looks like more bizarre and fun entertainment.

6. Inception
Christopher Nolan. That's probably enough said, but if it is anywhere as good as the batman films or the prestige, I'll love it.

7. Nottingham (although it's probably jsut going to be called Robin Hood now)
Ridley Scott. Russel Crowe. Cate Blanchett. It sounds fun. There seemed to have been some trouble behind the scenes, the first draft had Crowe playing Robin Hood and the Sheriff of Nottingham, also with the sheriff being the sympathetic character and Robin Hood the bad guy. Now it seems like it just a straight up Robin Hood story again. Either way, I'm still interested. I've never seen any of the live action Robin Hood films so this should be fun.

8. Salt
Angelina Jolie in an action spy thriller, you can't go wrong. The trailer looked intriguing and they didnt give too much away. I've lately tended to stay away from trailers, the studios think were all stupid and need to give away the story in the trailer. (I still havent seen an Avatar trailer) anyways.... This should be a fun two hours to keep your mind off trouble and hey maybe it might be even more than that

9. Eagle of the Ninth
I'm a big Roman and medieval history buff. I find these kinds of stories really interesting. Hopefully the movie is good.

10. Shrek Forever After
I know most of you would just want to Shrek to die. I still think the first one is a classic. I hated the second one, but the third one kind of redeemed itself. So hopefull shrek can go out with a bang in this allegedly 'last installment'

and some honorary mentions Clash of the Titans (would be in my top ten if not for the really weird trailer), The Last Airbender, (I would still call myself a shaymalalala fan, so please dont let me down again mr shaymalalal) Shutter Island, Date Night, The Bounty Hunter (interested to see what Aniston can do in an action film) Dinner for Shmucks (Steve Carell and Paul Rudd, should be comedy gold) Red Dawn, Despicable Me, Toy Story 3 and Guardians of gahoole

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: 2010

Post by Buscemi »

Date Night looks like a bad imitation of True Lies. Steve Carell and Tina Fey are not Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jamie Lee Curtis.

Meanwhile, my 2010 list:
20.Green Zone
19.Edge Of Darkness
18.Splice
17.Predators
16.The Poughkeepsie Tapes
15.Born To Be A Star
14.I Love You, Phillip Morris
13.Grown-Ups
12.The Expendables
11.The Tree Of Life
10.Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part One
9.Machete
8.Iron Man 2
7.Tron: Legacy
6.The Wolfman
5.Kick Ass
4.Shutter Island
3.Hot Tub Time Machine
2.Inception
1.Toy Story 3
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Well, taking them in order:

1. Very much so. This will most likely be the final Narnia film, as it is the final story that involves the Pevensies. It is a much better story than Caspian was, and if they can recapture the magic they had with the first chapter, this could be a winner.

2. Hell yes. After eight years, six movies and tons of anticipation, you had BETTER fucking end this series with a bang. I would put money down right now that this will be the BO champ of 2010, even more than IM2. Speaking of which...

3. I loved the first one, but I'm going to reserve judgment until I get a whiff of what the plot is. I'll see it regardless, of course.

4. Never played the video game. Will it be more like The Mummy or more like The Scorpion King? That is the question.

5. Never was a big fan of the story of Alice, it was just too bizarre even for me. The 859th collaboration between Burton and Depp will make it a hit, of course, but I remain cautious.

6. As you said, 'nuff said. After TDK, Chris has a license to print money. Still don't know much about the movie itself, and I like not knowing. Though it is interesting that the cast includes three actors who were in Batman Begins (Caine, Murphy, Watanabe).

7. Wonder how Ridley is going to do this... will it be a fun actioner like the Costner/Freeman version, or will it have a harder, Gladiator-like edge to it? And can Crowe convincingly change his Aussie accent to a British one?

8. I'm not as keen on Angelina as an action star as some people. Tomb Raider was OK, Mr. and Mrs. Smith was fair, and I hated Wanted. This plot actually reminds me a little of Shooter, but cooler. And it's supposedly based on a true story. Note: The director, Philip Noyce, was the same guy who directed Jolie in The Bone Collector, a decent enough crime drama. Funny that at the time, Jolie's star power was dwarfed by that of Denzel. Not any more.

9. Intriguing. A quest/adventure movie from the guy whose last film was State of Play. And boy, Channing Tatum and Mark Strong are everywhere now, aren't they?

10. My opnion is reversed with yours. I loved the second one, hated the third. I can only hope that the rumors that this one is the final Shrek movie is true, and end the story on an up note.

The other films I am most looking forward to are, in descending order:

Toy Story 3 - Pixar, what else do you need?
Tron: Legacy - The original was the height of computer technology in 1981. 28 years later, it's gonna be freakin' awesome.
How to Train Your Dragon - DreamWorks is doing much better now; loved their last two
Despicable Me - loved the trailer
The Sorcerer's Apprentice - Disney, Cage, Turtletaub, action... it worked before!
Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief - perhaps the next Potter-esque franchise?
The Last Airbender - M. Night's very very VERY last chance to win me back
Clash of the Titans - loved the original, which was my favorite film when I was 12
Green Zone - Damon + Greengrass = awesome
The Expendables - Come on, every washed-up 80's and 90's action star in one movie? How can you resist?
Five Killers - want to hear more about this
Guardians of Ga'Hoole - want to hear more about this one too
Knight & Day (formerly Wichita) - pure morbid curiosity, because I am a James Mangold fan

Also want to see:
Daybreakers
The Book of Eli
Legion
Edge of Darkness
The Wolfman
Shutter Island
Takers
Repo Men
Faster

Jury's Still Out:
Kick-Ass
The Losers
A Nightmare on Elm Street
The A-Team
Jonah Hex
Grown Ups
Predators
Dinner For Schmucks
The Other Guys
Priest
Red Dawn
Alpha and Omega
Megamind (formerly Oobermind)
Unstoppable
Bruce Lee
The Green Hornet
Gulliver's Travels

Absolutely not in 1,000,000,000 years:
When in Rome
Letters to Juliet
Sex and the City 2
Marmaduke
Twilight: Eclipse
Beastly
Little Fockers
The Zookeeper
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I'm more interested in Kevin MacDonald's other upcoming film: My Enemy's Enemy, a documentary on former Gestapo commander Klaus Barbie. This was supposed to released in 2007 but The Weinstein Company shelved it and it has been never released in North America.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Shrykespeare wrote: The Sorcerer's Apprentice - Disney, Cage, Turtletaub, action... it worked before!
The trailer actually looks quite decent
Buscemi wrote:Date Night looks like a bad imitation of True Lies. Steve Carell and Tina Fey are not Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jamie Lee Curtis.
that they are not, which i believe is a very positive thing, I laughed when i saw the trailer, hopefully, all the funny parts are not in the trailer

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

In orrrrddeeeerrrr....

1. Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Part 1 - To me, there is really nothing else. And now with this talk of a Hermoine/Harry making out while naked scene (because of the locket, for anyone who read the book), it can't be anything else but Number 1.

2. Iron Man 2 - All the greatness of the first, PLUS Scarlett Johannson, Mickey Rourke, and Don Cheadle. And Sam Rockwell. Having three villians kinda scares me (SPIDER-MAN 3!!! NOOOOO!!!!), but I'm hoping they'll be able to pull it off.

3. Toy Story 3 - Another sure-to-be-great Pixar movie that just happens to be a sequel to arguably the best Pixar movie of all-time.

4. Inception - The only reason it's not higher is because we know next to nothing about it. But DiCaprio with Ellen Page and Marion Cotillard and JGL, being directed by Nolan AND coming out the same weekend as TDK? I don't think Nolan would've agreed to that release date unless he thought he could live up to TDK with this one.

5. Salt - The trailer is fantastic, and Jolie is slowly becoming the biggest action star in the world. Who else brings audiences in every time like she has (Tomb Raider, Wanted, Mr. And Mrs. Smith, hopefully Wanted 2)?

6. Dinner For Schmucks - Paul Rudd can't go wrong. Even his flops were relatively hilarious, like I Could Never Be Your Woman and the one with Eva Longoria. Add in Steve Carell and Zach G and I cannot wait.

7. Kick-Ass - I was hoping that McLovin had the starring role in this, but I'll settle for him being Red Mist. And apparently, Hit-Girl steals the movie.

8. Killers - I'm waiting very impatiently for the first trailer, but Heigl should be pretty good in her first action role. As annoying as she is in real life (apparently), I've still liked all of her movies so far.

9. Machete - Probably the best cast of next year, maybe even the decade. Here's hoping that they use the Grindhouse trailer as the actual trailer.

10. The Book of Eli - Looooooks fan-fucking-tastic. You really can't go wrong having Gary Oldman play the villain, and I'm sure Mila Kunis will bring some sexy to the post-apocalyptic world.

Others I want to see:

Due Date
A Couple of Dicks
Edge of Darkness
Dear John
Date Night
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Brooklyn's Finest
The Twilight Sage: Eclipse
Youth In Revolt
Legion
Get Him To The Greek
Jonah Hex
Meet The Little Fockers
The Other Guys
The Expendables
The Social Network
The Green Hornet
The Bounty Hunter
Percy Jackson (& The Too Long Title)

On The Fence About:

The A-Team
Grown-Ups
Knight & Day
Predators
Priest
The Chronicles of Narnia 3
Gulliver's Travels
Clash of The Titans
How To Train Your Dragon
Shrek Forever After

You Can Go To Hell With That:

Sex & The City 2
Cats & Dogs 2
The Spy Next Door
Alice In Wonderland
Season Of The Witch
The Last Song
MacGruber
Footloose
The Karate/Kung-Fu Kid
Beastly

Just noticed that 2010 between August and December is very weak. Hopefully they'll move some stuff around, because the summer looks extra strong.
Letters To Juliet
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

frendo
Marty McFly

Post by frendo »

Buscemi wrote:Date Night looks like a bad imitation of True Lies. Steve Carell and Tina Fey are not Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jamie Lee Curtis.
No, they are way, WAY cooler...

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I remember that Dinner For Schmucks was supposed to star Sacha Baron Cohen (this was pre-Borat). Though Carell is a good choice to replace him, I hope that Paul Rudd actually plays a different role this time. His schtick was stale in Knocked Up and in I Love You Man, it was a health hazard.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

The special formats (IMAX, REAL-D, D-Box) in 2010:

IMAX:
Alice In Wonderland (IMAX 3-D)
How To Train Your Dragon (IMAX 3-D)
Shrek Forever After (IMAX 3-D)
The Twilight Saga: Eclipse (seriously?)
Inception (with some scenes shot on IMAX)
Tron Legacy (IMAX 3-D)
The Tree Of Life

REAL-D:
Hoodwinked 2
Alice In Wonderland
How To Train Your Dragon
Piranha 3-D
Shrek Forever After
Toy Story 3
Despicable Me
Cats and Dogs 2 (why?)
Step Up 3-D (again, seriously?)
Guardians Of Ga'Hoole
Megamind
Rapunzel
Tron Legacy
Horrorween

D-Box (currently supported by Universal, Warner Bros., Sony, Overture and Summit):
none announced yet, however I expect some of these titles to have it
The Book Of Eli
The Wolfman
The Crazies
Green Zone
Clash Of The Titans
The Losers
A Nightmare On Elm Street
Robin Hood
Jonah Hex
The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
Inception
Priest
Guardians Of Ga'Hoole
Harry Potter and The Deadly Hallows Part I
The Green Hornet

And possibly to create a Showgirls-esque experience: Burlesque (this is a joke).

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Just read that Predators hasn't even started production yet. Anyone else think it might be pushed back? If they do shoot and edit in 7 months, I'm pretty sure the quality will reflect that (i.e it will suck).
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

There's really only ten that I've got different levels of stokedness (and a couple more that I thought about adding, but didn't) for now and all of them except #1 could fall out of the top 10 easily. When we hear more about some of the films that only have teasers or no trailers at all, it could radically change.

1. Iron Man 2: Iron Man is my favorite superhero film I've seen (though I could make the case for John McClane) and now (or six months ago) replaced Terrence Howard with one of the best actors out there. This is really the only no-brainer.

2. Hot Tub Time Machine: A comedy with two of the guys responsible for Grosse Pointe Blank? I'm there. If Cusack brings his A game and since Craig Robinson is really growing on me, it could be the best comedy of the year, esp. since it looks "no holds barred" ala The Hangover. One could only hope that Chevy is playing Chevy from the 80's because we know he's not one of the four that go back in time from the trailer and, well, Chevy was only awesome in the 80's.

3. The Book of Eli: I've been saying that I wanted a change of Denzel's pace, and this Mad Maxish film is it.

4. Dinner for Schmucks - Carell, Rudd, Zach G... Hopefully its good.

5. Prince of Persia - One way or another, this one is a sign of things to come. Either it does well and we see multiple sequels as well as many other video game adaptations (Halo?) or it could close the lid on those being thought of.

6. Inception - I wish I knew what it was.

7. Despicable Me - Trailer looks funny. Carell has three potentially big films coming out this year.

8. The Expendables - If only they had Jean Claude, Segall, and Chan...

9. Harry Potter DHI - It's possible that this could be the worst of the bunch considering its just a setup.

10. Untitled James L. Brooks Project - Rudd, Wilson, Reese, and now Jack... Sounds pretty good. On a side note, this could be the cap on the Owen Wilson "I'm not crazy anymore" comeback tour. I hope so, because I think he's pretty funny.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I thought Predators finished filming before Armored opened (both films have the same director).

mateostarr
Juno MacGuff

Post by mateostarr »

Right now I have my eye on Green Zone, Shutter Island, Iron Man 2 and Inception.

There are still too many 2009 movies to see to really even think about 2010.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

My most anticipated films of 2010

1.Iron Man 2
2.Toy Story 3
3.Hot Tub Time Machine
4.Shutter Island
5.Machete
6.The Expendables
7.Grown-Ups
8.The Book Of Eli
9.A Couple Of Dicks
10.Inception
11.Little Fockers
12.Dinner For Schmucks
13.MacGruber
14.Get Him To The Greek
15.Jackass 3 [if it comes out]
16.The Other Guys
17.Death At A Funeral
18.From Paris With Love
19.Brooklyn's Finest
20.Youth In Revolt

Movies that I have no intrest in seeing
The Twilight Saga: Eclispe
Alice In Wonderland
Sex And The City 2
Prince Of Persia
Legion
The Spy Next Door
Valentine's Day
When In Rome
Dear John
The Last Airbender
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I don't understand all the hate for Legion. Maybe it's because I saw the long red band trailer before seeing the bastardized green band trailer that everyone else has seen (which deletes nearly every money shot and good line). Sony dropped the ball by not running the red band trailer in theatres (sure the red band trailer is almost six minutes long but it's a great trailer).

Also, Get Him To The Greek is now called Get Me To The Gig. That is a horrible title. Also, I hope that it's more like Planes, Trains and Automobiles than Funny People (in terms of excessive cameos in place of the majority of its plot).