New Moon Sets New Midnight AND Single Day Record!

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

New Moon Sets New Midnight AND Single Day Record!

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Holy ballsack, these chicks are crazy. New Moon made $26M last night, easily beating Harry Potter 6 ($22M) and The Dark Knight ($18M).

Is the OW record next? You guys think New Moon can make over $158M in 3 days?
Last edited by BanksIsDaFuture on November 21st, 2009, 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: New Moon Sets New Midnight Record!

Post by Buscemi »

No. The Friday to Saturday drop will be too heavy for it to break the 3-day record.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

KeyserSoze
The McMannus Brothers

Post by KeyserSoze »

Buscemi wrote:No. The Friday to Saturday drop will be too heavy for it to break the 3-day record.
Exactly, because none of these folks would even consider seeing the movie a second time.
Who'd win in a wrestling match, Lemmy or God? Trick question, dickhead. Lemmy is God - Chazz and Rex, Airheads

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

i dont think it'll beat the OW record, but i also didnt think it would make that much in midnights

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Remember that the first movie made 52% of its opening weekend totals on the first day (a then-record for the biggest Friday share). I expect New Moon's Friday share to be at 55% (probably meaning a $60 million opening day and a $109 million opening weekend).

Meanwhile it probably won't break the biggest Friday to Saturday drop record (the record is 72%, held by The Ringer), but it will likely have the biggest non-Christmas Eve Friday to Saturday drop ever (a record currently held by Twilight, with 41%).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Donte77
Kirk Lazarus

Post by Donte77 »

Fuck! Glad I took it on everything. Those numbers will hurt if anybody didn't take it.
"I highly suspected I was becoming a legend." Ignatius J. Riley

"If Transporter 3 was better than TDK then the first Transporter was the filmic equivalent of doing heroin while getting a Bl** J** from god." Me

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

KeyserSoze wrote:
Buscemi wrote:No. The Friday to Saturday drop will be too heavy for it to break the 3-day record.
Exactly, because none of these folks would even consider seeing the movie a second time.
That's really not the point here. You'll of course have those that see the film ten times in the first three days, but the overwhelming majority will see it once the first weekend (sometimes once period) and they've been waiting a year for it, so more people than normal will watch it the day it comes out. Plus you have the history of the first Twilight film which had the record Buscemi just stated plus had a 62.2% drop from the first to second weekend. After that second weekend drop and a third weekend 50% drop, it had some of the best legs you can get. Though it has a rabid fanbase where some of the people spend hundreds of dollars on tickets, the perception that most of the people that watch this film go back three, four, twelve times is really not true. I don't think its true for any film, really... Maybe Titanic.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

teensy bit worried now because i did not take it on everything, like donte did, but hopefully it wont make $500M

Donte77
Kirk Lazarus

Post by Donte77 »

If it makes over 200 Mil the world is fucked (hint; it is) but it will still be the biggest movie until next summer. I guessed it at 190+ when figuring my slates.
"I highly suspected I was becoming a legend." Ignatius J. Riley

"If Transporter 3 was better than TDK then the first Transporter was the filmic equivalent of doing heroin while getting a Bl** J** from god." Me

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Wow 26 mill that is crazy. Glad that I have it on every slate.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

New Moon has also broken the single day record, beating The Dark Knight's $67M with $72M on Friday.

3-Day record looks to be next...
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

J.I.
The McMannus Brothers

Re: New Moon Sets New Midnight AND Single Day Record!

Post by J.I. »

It is absolutely impossible for it to beat TDK's opening weekend record. Heck, it may not get within $30 million of it.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Breaking News: New Moon has also broke the record for the most topic posts on this site!!

KeyserSoze
The McMannus Brothers

Post by KeyserSoze »

Wow, only a 40% Friday - Saturday drop. Looking like $140 - $145 million OW. I think that would be the thrid biggest of all time
Who'd win in a wrestling match, Lemmy or God? Trick question, dickhead. Lemmy is God - Chazz and Rex, Airheads

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Mojo has it at $140,700,000 weekend.

Blind Side at $34.5 M OW. Good WOM should net it at least $90-100 M. I was thinking a 6x and it'll pass that easily.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.