An Education

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

mateostarr
Juno MacGuff

An Education

Post by mateostarr »

Very good film I saw today. Carey Mulligan deserves all the attention, she is going to be a star. I also think this was one of the best performances I have seen from Alfred Molina who is usually good but never spoken about. I recommend this film if it is playing near you.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: An Education

Post by Buscemi »

I convinced that Carey Mulligan is going to be just another one of those "It girls" who makes a few good movies then fades to terrible roles while the next "It girl" comes around. When I was watching the yawnfest Public Enemies, I actually thought she was Leelee Sobeski (an "It girl" whose career went down into roles in low budget B-movies).

Also, I'm still unsure about this film. Movies with generic (or misleading) titles often scream "forgettable movie" and most of the big names in the film are apparently nothing more than glorified cameos. It supposed to be just Mulligan and Liev Schreiber attempting an English accent for two hours.

Lastly, does the title mean anything particular? Is it a remake of Educating Rita where Schreiber plays the Michael Caine role and Mulligan is simply an idiot trying to get "an education"?
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

From what I hear, the title refers to the education both Carey Mulligan and Peter (whatever his last name is) get from trying to be with one another.

You can add Julia Stiles to that "It girl" list though, after Ten Things I Hate About You she was on top of the teen movie world, then nothing.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

It's Peter Sarsgaard. I got my "American indie actors with foreign-sounding names" confused.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

mateostarr
Juno MacGuff

Post by mateostarr »

The education refers both to Mulligans character wanting to do well in school and attend Oxford as well as the life experience she receives from the character played by Peter Sarsgaard. I really can't see Mulligan fading away. Too talented and also smart with choosing projects.

She will also most likely win an Oscar this year or at the very least be nominated for one.

Donte77
Kirk Lazarus

Post by Donte77 »

Buscemi wrote:Movies with generic (or misleading) titles often scream "forgettable movie"
Umm I seem to remember a few generically named movies that were fairly famous. Star Wars. The Godfather. Crash. Alien. Psycho.

Title has nothing to do with how well a movie is received. On the other end of the spectrum is complicated or obtuse titles. The Shawshank Redemption. Close Encounters of the Third Kind. The Hunt for Red October. Raiders of the Lost Ark. These movie titles mean nothing until you see the movie or have knowledge about the meaning.
"I highly suspected I was becoming a legend." Ignatius J. Riley

"If Transporter 3 was better than TDK then the first Transporter was the filmic equivalent of doing heroin while getting a Bl** J** from god." Me

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

To me, the title just sounded very last minute and unappealing. It kind of sounds as if you apply a random word or words onto a movie title simply to make it releaseable (examples: Romantic Comedy, The Chase, Heist, any obscure straight-to-video film).