The DVD/Blu-Ray (Plus For Sale) Thread

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: The DVD/Blu-Ray (Plus For Sale) Thread

Post by Buscemi2 »

Anyone else do the Target B2G1 online sales? I recently did a couple (the second one a couple of hours before it ends) which price-matched Amazon on Criterions managed to get some Criterions that came out to about $16 each.

First order:
An Angel at My Table
Cold Water
To Sleep with Anger (free)

Second order:
Detour
Matewan
Betty Blue (free)

The new order will put me at 195 Criterion titles. Doing surveys for Amazon gift cards and Half Price Books sales have also helped in recent months (along with the Barnes & Noble sale).
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

My initial excitement over finding that Canadian distributor for Criterion discs has definitely worn off because three weeks after placing my initial order it hasn't even shipped yet. They're claiming they received a ton of orders at the start of the Criterion sale, which corresponded with an Arrow sale, and they offer up different excuses on the rare occasion they actually communicate about what's causing the delay, so the customer service thus far has been a joke. I have lots of Blu-Rays at home I haven't even watched yet, including Criterions, so i'm not really in a hurry, but the lack of communication on my order is really frustrating.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I was in Kansas City last week and I got a lot of Criterions in the actual Barnes & Noble stores that you couldn't get online. I now have a lot of organizing to do.

I also got several online and am kind of pissed that my copy of True Stories got trashed in the mail. That one isn't cheap as it has the soundtrack included as a bonus disc.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

The Barnes And Noble stores near me are always lacking in terms of their Criterions - especially the Blu-Rays.
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Family Video's closing all their locations. Maybe you'll be able to find some good deals, W.

I was there last week and managed to find some good deals (such as Marriage Story and the El Camino steelbook for $3.50 each).

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

We've got two in our city still open and every smaller city around here has/had one. I only used to go around every month or two to see what digital codes they had. I hadn't been there since Corona until about a month ago and they must have stopped collecting the codes out of fear of being sued (which is why they stopped the Disney ones). I don't buy discs much anymore besides some rarer stuff or the possible flip. But with a possible Criterion missing from my collection like Marriage Story I'll have to see. Maybe I'll find some decent games I don't need too.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

They also had The Irishman for $8.99 last time I was there. However, it might be missing the second disc.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Not great. Anything not marked before was being marked to $12.99 on the wall including older "superhero" movies (1998 Avengers DVD that was all beat up? $12.99). Switch games were mostly $29.99, which is 25%+ off the used price for the good ones.

I picked up:
Hard Day's Night Criterion (no DVDs) for $6.99
Marriage Story BD for $5
Mario Maker 2 (Switch) $29.99
Paper Mario (Switch) $29.99

I'm going back over after work and hopefully everything is priced.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The Ultimate Hammer box set is currently under $20 on Deep Discount. Amazon carries this set for $79.99.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

So my Hammer order got canceled (though I did get a $5 off coupon out of it). Luckily, it wasn't all bad as I was able to get the Rita Hayworth and Inner Sanctum Mysteries sets on Amazon with a gift card I had. 18 movies together and both sets ended up being free.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333877263506?s ... 1561.l2649

Not DVD/Blu-Ray, but I have a bunch of these, like another hundred or so of the Vader, maybe 1000 of one of the other styles, and 500 of the other. If anyone wants a set in a little worse condition than these for the cost of shipping (plus cost of the tube, so like $7 domestic) let me know. The original owner didn't store them well, so they're all damaged in some way.

I also have some of the original ones (Luke and Chewbacca I think) that are fairly expensive but were stored rolled so they aren't in great shape. I used to sell them for a guy and he passed away last year and willed the rest to me. I've sold maybe a couple hundred sets over the past five years. I also have the poster that advertised those posters and sold like five of them for him at $250-500. We also had three of a weird one that I couldn't find a trace of anywhere else and we did good on those. And I sold three happy meal boxes from the promo and got like $200. People are crazy.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Fandom makes your average person crazy. Look at the Snydercut people.