The DVD/Blu-Ray (Plus For Sale) Thread

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

W
Norman Bates

Re: The DVD/Blu-Ray (Plus For Sale) Thread

Post by W »

My Twilight Time order is in already. I may go to the Barnes and Noble Tuesday after work. If you want the order early, let me know by then so I can ship off your stuff before I leave for a week on Friday night.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

If they're both %50 off, you can grab me Blue Is The Warmest Colour and The Bicycle Thief. If you can't find either of those, I could also go for Repulsion. Blu-Ray only, though.

I'm in no rush since I have a stack of Blu-Rays I haven't watched yet, and I don't usually watch a lot of stuff at home in the summer anyway.

Send me a PM when you know how much I owe you and we'll figure out the details.

Thanks!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Good news: Criterion has come to the UK, releasing 2-3 titles per month!
Bad news: They're selling so badly they'll probably leave the UK (insert Brexit joke) by the end of the year.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Maybe the types of films Criterion releases are more readily in the UK by other means, so the Criterion editions seem less special.

I checked out the Barnes And Noble website and it looks like everything you could ever want from Criterion is indeed %50 off for the whole month, even new releases like The Player and Dr. Strangelove. I probably could have saved a few bucks by having W buy those ones as well, depending on how much the shipping costs from where he's located, but the difference would have been negligible.

It looks like Vancouver's due for a week's worth of summer rain, so I might catch up on that stack on unwatched Blu-Rays after all.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Well, I'm not going to end up going today... Probably later in the week if you're interested in something else.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

No, just those two is fine. I mainly want BITWC because that Criterion was never released in Canada for some reason, and I've never seen it or the Bicycle Thief drop below $40.

Repulsion is currently $34 Canadian on Amazon.ca, so I could easily grab it for myself if I really wanted it. I haven't seen it in ages, and wasn't blown away by it. It wouldn't be in my top 5 Polanksi films, so it can wait.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

In recent days, goHastings filed for Chapter 11 and have closed their online store. The brick and mortar stores will remain open until all items are sold.

I wish I'd bought some Pops when I had the chance but they are cheaper on Amazon (which reminds me to check Gamestop tomorrow to see if they have the Doomsday and False God Superman shared exclusives).

Edit: picked up the False God Superman. He was $15 but he was one of my most wanted (they also had some $5 Pops so I picked up Will Riker and Steve Hiller, now my Next Generation and general release Independence Day* sets are complete). I also finally renewed my Barnes and Noble membership as I got a $25 gift card for my birthday. I didn't pick up any Criterions though, just a Pop of Slimer and a New York Times crossword puzzle book. I also though of getting the general release Suicide Squad Harley Quinn but the box was beat up.

And just so this remains a Blu-ray/DVD thread, I did pick up a few movies with birthday money. Got Jaws 2, Needful Things, and Wolf Creek 2 at Entertainmart and the original Fly and Peggy Sue Got Married are on order. And a while back, I pre-ordered Buckaroo Banzai and The Iron Giant.

* - There is a Chase variant of the Alien but he's really rare and expensive on the secondary market.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

For those who complain Twilight Time titles are too expensive: they have a couple of good deals going right now. The first one is American Buffalo being marked down to $14.95 as it is going out of print on September 12th (that's when MGM loses the rights to the film). So if you like Dustin Hoffman or David Mamet, jump on the opportunity (I just picked up a copy).

The second one is a deal where you can get seven titles for $70 (66% off from regular prices). Go to the bundles page and you can mix and match the eligible titles (in any order possible, from seven of one title to one of seven titles, whatever you like).

If they still have them on Tuesday, I'm thinking of this set:
Beloved Infidel
Cover Girl (blind buy, I like the cast so I'd figure I would pick it up)
The Disappearance
High Time
The Only Game in Town
The Song of Bernadette
The Sound and the Fury
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I bought all 11 of them plus the free signed copy of I Could Go on Singing. Had to buy three extras to get to 14, but those should be easy to unload eventually.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

They added 15 more to that Screen Archives deal. I just bought 14 again... Blue Lagoon is almost sold out. Full list now:

ALAMO BAY (1985)
BELOVED INFIDEL (1959)
BITE THE BULLET (1975)
THE BLUE LAGOON (1980)
BONJOUR TRISTESSE (1958)
COVER GIRL (1944)
DEMETRIUS AND THE GLADIATORS (1954)
DESIREE (1954)
THE DISAPPEARANCE (1977)
LOST HORIZON (1973)
LOVE IS A MANY-SPLENDORED THING (1955)
MINDWARP (1992)
NICHOLAS AND ALEXANDRA (1971)
THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN (1970)
THE OTHER (1972)
PAL JOEY (1957)
PHILADELPHIA (1993)
PONY SOLDIER (1952)
THE RAINS OF RANCHIPUR (1955)
RAPTURE (1965)
THE ROOTS OF HEAVEN (1958)
ROYAL FLASH (1975)
SEXY BEAST (2000)
THE SOUND AND THE FURY (1959)
SWAMP WATER (1941)
THE WAY WE WERE (1973)
THE WAYWARD BUS (1957)

DVDs
THE KREMLIN LETTER (1970) DVD
VIOLENT SATURDAY (1955) DVD
Woman Obsessed (1959) DVD

EDIT: Blue Lagoon IS sold out.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I almost did a bundle (Bite the Bullet/Bonjour Tristesse/Nicholas and Alexandra/The Only Game in Town/The Other/Rapture/Sexy Beast) but backed out after I saw shipping was almost $15 (Amazon Prime and their free shipping has really spoiled me). I ended up instead going on Hot Topic's website and used my $5 off coupon (from spending $100 on Funko Pops) for an exclusive flocked Bambi Pop (he ended up being only $7 before shipping and handling).

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Criterion Flash sale from now until tomorrow morning at noon EDT (code is "DOLLS"). Picked up Boyhood and Dressed to Kill.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Thanks for the heads up. I'll wait until Barnes and Noble's sale in November. I'm a member, so there should be some kind of extra perks and I need as much expendable cash for (a wedding in) Vegas in a few weeks.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

The Criterion sale started today and runs until the 28th. I picked myself up Eraserhead and The New World (with all three cuts) and have plans for more.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I got a 20% off coupon in the mail. I may pick up the Del Toro Set. I think it'd be $35 w/ that and the member discount. I'm going to Vegas next Friday so I'll probably hold out on everything else until after then.