The DVD/Blu-Ray (Plus For Sale) Thread

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

The DVD/Blu-Ray (Plus For Sale) Thread

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Discuss all your latest pick-ups, post pics of your collection, news about future releases, notify us of sales you might know about, steelbooks, Criterions, etc...

I'm about to head to Best Buy to see if they still have those Blu-Rays for $10. I'm hoping to pick up Robocop and The Terminator.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

NSpan
Frank Booth

Re: The DVD/Blu-Ray Thread

Post by NSpan »

just saw that Near Dark is about to be released on Blu-Ray......... not owning a copy of it in any form, I'm tempted

same goes for An American Werewolf in London on blu
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I read that the Blu-Ray misses most of the extras from the Anchor Bay DVD. The only extra that is retained is the commentary.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

i'd take improved video and sound over extras for just about any movie... (the only commentaries i've ever bothered with are from seasons 3-7 of the Simpsons).. documentary extras can be cool--but they're usually only worth watching a single time anyway

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

So I got Robocop and The Terminator on Blu-Ray for $10. They also had The Usual Suspects, Total Recall, Sunshine Cleaning, Traitor, and some others for $10.

I also almost picked up The Fan, Point Break SE, and White Men Can't Jump for $5 each, but I forgot my giftcard. Ill pick up em next.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I went to Best Buy today and picked up three DVD's:

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2-disc steelbook) $4.99
The Secret Of NIMH (2-disc) $7.99
Pee-Wee's Big Adventure $7.99

I now have two copies of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and I may give my old copy to a friend.

I also saw that Best Buy had some Lionsgate DVD's packaged with special "body bag" packaging for $9.99 each. I hoped that The Monster Squad was packaged that way but it wasn't. Mostly it was crap movies but with a few decent titles packaged (Ginger Snaps 2 and 3, Slaughter High with a trivia track, Warlock, The Ugly, High Tension). They missed an opportunity to pack some of the "better" titles in this way (The Monster Squad, the original My Bloody Valentine, Frality, The Ninth Gate, Cube, the first Stir Of Echoes, Bug, Dead/Alive, American Psycho).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

be wary of some of these $10 blu-ray releases... i've read that a few of them are nothing more than a direct transfer of the DVD master--with little to no retouching at all

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I saw a two-pack of Rocky and Hoosiers on Blu-Ray for $20 or so. They are basically ports of the movie-only DVD's.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I got these at Big Lots today (all $3 each):

Red Dragon (Director's Edition, 2-disc)
Out Of Sight/Intolerable Cruelty Double Feature
Class Of 1984 (so far, the only Anchor Bay title that I've seen there)
Anatomy (special edition)
The One (special edition)
Mighty Joe Young (the original)
Gracie (a Canadian release of the film from Sony, bilingual cover and all)

frendo
Marty McFly

Post by frendo »

NSpan wrote:just saw that Near Dark is about to be released on Blu-Ray......... not owning a copy of it in any form, I'm tempted

same goes for An American Werewolf in London on blu
Saw Near Dark is $10 at Wal-mart.

frendo
Marty McFly

Post by frendo »

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:So I got Robocop and The Terminator on Blu-Ray for $10. They also had The Usual Suspects, Total Recall, Sunshine Cleaning, Traitor, and some others for $10.

I also almost picked up The Fan, Point Break SE, and White Men Can't Jump for $5 each, but I forgot my giftcard. Ill pick up em next.
I got the Sunshine Cleaning blu for $10 there. Let me know how Robocop is. Almost picked it up, but decided to wait.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Ah sorry frendo, I heeded (hed? took heed of?) Span's advice, I just went ahead and returned the two Blu's for a refund. I then used half of that $20 to buy the Up Blu-Ray 4 disc combo pack.

There is a $10 off coupon on disney.com that you can print off and Target has the pack for $20, so you guys can get it for $10. Very cool stuff.

frendo
Marty McFly

Post by frendo »

Hey Banksy, where did you find that coupon on disney.com? I couldn't find it on there.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I saw scenes of the Blu-Ray version of Up playing on four different TV's today. I don't know if this was the TV's or the Blu-Ray transfer, but it looks like they sped up the frame rate on the release. I believe this because this made Up look like a low-budget television special instead of a big-budget theatrical release. Half the time, I wasn't sure if I was watching Up or a low-budget special with the Up characters.

However, one of the TV's (a Sony) looked like it had the correct frame rate and the film had a more theatrical feel. Too bad it was also the smallest of the TV's.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

the display TVs were probably cranked up to 120 (or, heck, 240) hertz... it artificially injects frames in between the actual frames--resulting in a picture similar to what you're describing if the tv is set to anything other than sports.