The DVD/Blu-Ray (Plus For Sale) Thread

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: The DVD/Blu-Ray (Plus For Sale) Thread

Post by Buscemi »

Entertainmart (along with Vintage Stock) is doing a Buy 2, Get 1 free this weekend so I decided it was a golden opportunity to get some Scream Factory titles.

Picked up:
Cherry Falls
The People Under the Stairs
Ginger Snaps (the free one)

I also got Manhunter through the mail on Tuesday (pre-ordered that one on Amazon).

My Scream Factory collection:
Army of Darkness
Assault on Precinct 13
Backcountry
Bad Dreams/Visiting Hours
The Beast Within
The Burning
Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh
Cat People (1982)
Cherry Falls
Dark Angel (aka I Come in Peace)
Darkman
The Dark Half
Deadly Eyes
The Doctor and the Devils
Escape from New York
The Funhouse
Ginger Snaps
The Harvest
The Island (1980)
Lake Placid
Leviathan
Lifeforce (out-of-print first pressing)
Mad Max
Manhunter
Monkey Shines
Nightbreed (limited edition)
The People Under the Stairs
The Phantom of the Opera (1989)
Phantom of the Paradise
Pumpkinhead
Ravenous
Robot Jox
The Sentinel (1977)
The Slumber Party Massacre
Stigmata
Swamp Thing
TerrorVision/The Video Dead
Troll/Troll 2 (with DVD of Best Worst Movie)
Vampire's Kiss/High Spirits

And my Shout titles:
Battle Beyond the Stars
Battle Creek Brawl (aka The Big Brawl)/City Hunter
The Bear
The Bruce Lee Premiere Collection
Crime Story/The Protector (1985)
Dirty Mary Crazy Larry/Race with the Devil
Disturbing Behavior (surprised this wasn't a Scream title but I guess Shout considers it sci-fi)
Fear City (only available on Shout's website)
Hackers
Heavy Traffic
The Hot Spot/Killing Me Softly
Jean de Florette/Manon of the Spring
The Kentucky Fried Movie
Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie
Police Story/Police Story 2
The Producers (1968)
Q: The Winged Serpent
Rolling Thunder
The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea (only available on Shout's website)
The Shadow
Southern Comfort
Traveller/Telling Lies in America
UHF
Walking Tall: The Trilogy

I never intend to have a complete Scream set as some titles are either really bad (Cabin Fever remake, Human Centipede trilogy), not worth owning (#Horror, Village of the Damned remake, Halloween III), or I already have previous editions (the forthcoming Return of the Living Dead, Child's Play, and Invasion of the Body Snatchers discs). However, I will double-dip on Halloween II someday (I already have the Universal release with Terror in the Aisles while the Scream disc has the TV cut that's the closest to the director's original version).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Almost a year to the day after their last sale, Amazon.ca has 75 Criterion Blu-Rays on sale for between $25 and $30, so I picked up The Lord Of The Flies and The Killers, which I've never seen, but it's got two movies for the price of one, which makes it a better deal than most Criterions.

I guess one sale a year is better than nothing.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Lord of the Flies is pretty crazy. I caught that on Hulu before I found it on eBay cheap. It's really cool that all the kids aren't professional actors and you

It was just announced that Barnes and Noble is having their sale from 7/5-8/1. I'm stocked up for that. Not sure what I'm going to get, but I've got enough in gift cards to order five of the standard priced ones. Some of the stuff that releases sounds good, but has problems for me. Night of Fog is something that I'm interested in, but It's like 30 minutes long. The New World sounds good, but I've heard not-so-great things. I'll probably get The Player, maybe Muholland Dr., maybe upgrade The Graduate...
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Get The New World. It's got three different cuts of the film (limited release cut, general release cut, director's cut) and a bunch of extras. It will surely blow the old New Line release out of the water.

I've got to double-dip on The Player one of these days (I have the Warner Bros. release in a triple feature set). Dr. Strangelove and The Manchurian Candidate too.

And if you want any more discs with multiple titles, John, get The Killing and King of the Hill. The former has Killer's Kiss as a special feature while the latter has The Underneath. Blow Out also has a second movie but that one (Murder a la Mod) is pretty bad and probably shouldn't have been paired with Blow Out. Scanners and The Brood each have a Cronenberg student film available as a special feature.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I'm trying to figure out if I need anything from SAE's Twilight Time sale: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=278579

Page 7-8 has the titles that are getting low. I'm thinking Sleepless in Seattle, Blue Lagoon since they're getting really low. Is First Men in the Moon good? It's running extremely low. Possibly Vampires and/or Zardoz, which are in the low 1000 left. (Vampires, Zardoz, First Men blind)

Also interested in (all blind but Guess Who, Philadelphia, Lenny):
Philadelphia
Lenny
Khartoum
Zulu
Birdman of Alcatraz
All the King's Men
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
Hawaii (I loved Centennial, but I'm thinking this isn't close to the same thing)
Support Your Local Sheriff/Support Your Local Gunfighter

Any input on these titles (especially the ones I haven't seen) is appreciated.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Hawaii and its sequel, The Hawaiians, are based on parts of the book Hawaii. So they won't be miniseries length (Hawaii however has the roadshow cut as a special feature, albeit in SD as MGM did not have an HD master).

Zulu apparently doesn't have a very good transfer. Get the UK release (which is cheaper and has an improved transfer using a different print from Paramount's vaults).

I have Philadelphia and All the King's Men (surprised this one hasn't sold out) in addition to Sleepless in Seattle and Zardoz.

Get the double feature. Better value (and if it's still available, get the Thunderbirds double feature too, Thunderbird 6 is an adventure film that needs more love).

As for me, my big thing right now is Funko Pops. I've gotten close to 70 in three months or so.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

As much as I loved John Carpenter's output in the 80s, most of his 90s films are crap, apart from In The Mouth Of Madness, so I can't recommend Vampires. And Zardoz is such a hippy-dippy product of its time it's hard to take it seriously. If you're the type of person who can enjoy a movie ironically you might like it.

If you want to add a copy of The Bride Wore Black to your order and then mail it to me, I'll get you money somehow. I'll save a lot of shipping that way, and if you mark it as a gift it'll even sneak through customs without a surcharge. You can even open it and watch it if you want.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Paypal?

If I end up making an order by the 1st (when the sale ends), I'll do that. There's also the Barnes and Noble 50% off Criterion sale starting on July 5th-8/1 that I'm definitely ordering from if you want anything there as well. Shipping would be cheaper per item that way. But I may not make my order until close to the end of the sale because I may decide on The New World that comes out on 7/26.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

JohnErle wrote:As much as I loved John Carpenter's output in the 80s, most of his 90s films are crap, apart from In The Mouth Of Madness, so I can't recommend Vampires.
I'm not sure I've seen it since the 90's, but I really liked Vampires back then. Clearly not what Carpenter has done best, but it was fun.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

W wrote:Paypal?

If I end up making an order by the 1st (when the sale ends), I'll do that. There's also the Barnes and Noble 50% off Criterion sale starting on July 5th-8/1 that I'm definitely ordering from if you want anything there as well. Shipping would be cheaper per item that way. But I may not make my order until close to the end of the sale because I may decide on The New World that comes out on 7/26.

PayPal works for me. And I'll see which Criterions are available when you guys say the sale is on. There are definitely some I would grab for the right price.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

It's literally anything that's not a preorder or out of print on the Barnes and Noble site (I believe they carry all Criterions). It's 50% off the list price, so most blus are $20 ($21.40 w/ Indiana tax). A few are $15 ($30 MSRP) and a couple are $25 ($50 MSRP). Box sets are various prices. Blu-Ray.com has the list price of all of them you need it.

This thread shows the ones released during the sale window (bottom of the first post): http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=278731

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Ordered:
Lenny
Blue Lagoon
First Men in the Moon
Sleepless in Seattle
Philadelphia

and

The Bride Wore Black (JohnErle)

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Thanks!

I looked at the Barnes & Noble website and saw that Blue Is The Warmest Colour is only $22 even before the sale, so that's one I'll get you to add to your order when the time comes. Maybe a few more, too.

I just bought the full series of Star Trek: TNG on Blu-Ray, so maybe I should curb my Blu-Ray spending for a while.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Blue is the Warmest Color is typically $25, so it'd be half of that. The sale price is always off of MSRP. $25 qualifies for free shipping, so if you order at least two I can buy them when the sale starts and you won't have to wait as long.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I'm sure I'll be able to find one or two to get my order up to $25. I figured you'd be all over the sale on day one, but separate orders works fine too.

BTW, my copy of Dr. Strangelove arrived today, and it's got the nicest packaging I've ever seen on a Blu-Ray. They really went all out with the inserts. The movie's the most important thing, of course, but the extra effort they put into it helps justify the cost and downplays the buyers' remorse I felt after paying nearly full price. I paid $37 for the pre-order and the price is already up to $50, so it could have been worse.